C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ignition Key Lock Cylinder, 1982

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM
onezulu
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Key Lock Cylinder, 1982

My ignition key lock cylinder does not stay in place; it slides out when I pull out the key.

What holds this in place? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 AM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 455 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

on later model corvettes like yours there is a screw holding it in. maybe it was changed before and the screw came loose. its nothing new to finding a loose screw, at least on this forum
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

I haven't had my lock out but on my other cars it was a small metal tab that is spring loaded that pops out in the casting of the column.
I can remember on some cars we had to break through the casting under the steering wheel to push the tab in, so we could pull the cylinder but on cars that were stolen, scumbags would use a slid hammer and rip the cylinder out. It sometimes would take a chunk of the casting with it and cause the cylinder to fit loosely or pull out.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:53 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
I haven't had my lock out but on my other cars it was a small metal tab that is spring loaded that pops out in the casting of the column.
I can remember on some cars we had to break through the casting under the steering wheel to push the tab in, so we could pull the cylinder but on cars that were stolen, scumbags would use a slid hammer and rip the cylinder out. It sometimes would take a chunk of the casting with it and cause the cylinder to fit loosely or pull out.
Your steering column should have a screw retained lock cylinder. Starting during the 1979 model year the lock cylinders and steering column housings were changed to the more secure cross-bolt design.

Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition Key Lock Cylinder, 1982

Quick Reply: Ignition Key Lock Cylinder, 1982