C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking power steering fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 01:53 PM
MGB
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Default Leaking power steering fluid???

Hello everybody. Have a question about a power steering fluid leak on my '78. Had the power steering control valve and the cylinder and all hoses replaced a few years ago and all of a sudden, the fluid leaks terrible. No leak at all when I parked it in the garage and a few days later when I pulled it out, had a trail of fluid on the driveway. (not a small leak at all). The car has only been driven maybe 2 thousand miles in since the rebuild a few years ago. (I know, don't drive it enough). I don't see any fluid on the pump housing at all so I suspect either the control valve or the cylinder. Going to get underneath the car and get someone to turn the steering as soon as I can, but in the mean time, those of you who have some experience with steering systems, which is the most likely candidate for the leak? All the hoses look good so I suspect the valve or cylinder. Any thoughts? Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 02:48 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines got a small drop from the steering rams... I've heard that is common. I'm new to the c3 scene though overall.. There's lots of options to replace those with upgrades or oem equipment...
Old 04-25-2014, 03:20 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Before you rip everything apart check the one hose that comes off the power steering pump that has a clamp on it. The clamp might be lose and if so, it can run down the hose to the control valve and drip on the ground from there. It's the only clamp in the system and can look like a control valve problem if its not tight.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM
C3Hawk
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi MGB, it's pretty hard to spot the source (or sources!) of the leak without spending time under the car cleaning the whole thing first and then shining a flashlight on all those black parts looking for it. I am just curious did you use new or rebuilt components as I am trying to decide between the two. I thought you guys would get a kick out of this photo of "potential leakage areas" I took from the Service Manual. When I first saw it I realized how many possibilities there were.

Old 04-25-2014, 03:29 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I've got very small leaks with mine too ('78) - just bought it and still checking things out.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Bromleys Corvettes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I work on C-3s all the time and I see them leak from everywhere lol. I would jack it up and clean everything real good and run it and have someone turn the wheel while you watch the cyl seal and control valve the two halves where it bolts together could be leaking from there or maybe just the cyl/ram seal if you all of the sudden started leaking bad. I also use Lucas power steering stop leak its thick and sticky it helps slow or stop leaks if the seals are not bad anyway. Also check hoses make shore they are super tight I have seen them back off and start leaking even with all new parts with low miles.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:25 PM
glen242
Melting Slicks

I had the same leaking problem with my '76. I rebuilt the piston and the leak stopped for about 6 months. Replaced the cylinder and associated parts with rebuilt? parts from a vendor. No leaks for about a year.

When it started leaking again, I got fed up and replaced the stock power system with a Borgensen unit. 2+ years later, absolutely no leaks/seepage.

How serious are you about stopping leaks? Stock system will leak regardless of any fixes you do. Bite the bullet and get a Borgensen and be done with it. Improved steering response is a bonus.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 PM
Mako72
Melting Slicks

Received 694 Likes on 318 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2018 C3 of Year Finalist

Mine started leaking recently. I degreased/dried everything and the leak was easy to spot at the control valve (see attached pic). I've got rebuild kits coming in next week and I plan on doing the control valve/ram/hoses. I'm leaving in 4 weeks for Talladega otherwise I would do the Borgenson. Overall, I can't complain, the control valve is the original and it lasted over 40 years.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Oldguard 7
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Mine is leaking as well. Crappy 70's technology.
Old 04-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by glen242
I had the same leaking problem with my '76. I rebuilt the piston and the leak stopped for about 6 months. Replaced the cylinder and associated parts with rebuilt? parts from a vendor. No leaks for about a year.

When it started leaking again, I got fed up and replaced the stock power system with a Borgensen unit. 2+ years later, absolutely no leaks/seepage.

How serious are you about stopping leaks? Stock system will leak regardless of any fixes you do. Bite the bullet and get a Borgensen and be done with it. Improved steering response is a bonus.
You eliminate 4 possible leaks just by eliminating the hoses between the cylinder and the control valve. Borgenson is the way I went.
Old 04-28-2014, 11:11 PM
DBez93
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 78 went through a bottle of the Lucas goo in about a week & a half, it's really a love/hate relationship with these cars :/
Old 04-29-2014, 12:05 AM
Frank_Nesta
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by DBez93
My 78 went through a bottle of the Lucas goo in about a week & a half, it's really a love/hate relationship with these cars :/
They are great cars. Unfortunately the abuse or lack of maintainence of these cars from the previous owners can be very frustrating to the new owner. I have had mine for 37 years and maintained it. It owes me nothing. Get it to a point of enjoyment. Then drive it. Hang in there.
The following users liked this post:
fjd (09-22-2019)
Old 04-29-2014, 01:49 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Mine is still pretty 'new to me'... And I'm finding the little things that I need to do to make it reliably road worthy ... Hope I'm close to the 'drive it and enjoy it' stage... My power steering drip is still on my 'to do' list...

Those that have performed an upgrade... Can you extrapolate on the benefits of that vs replacing factory stuff? At some point I'll be tackling that project myself and would love to hear what others have done , or what to stay away from... Thanks.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:54 AM
mikep3
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

You should start here at the Borgeson site.
http://www.borgeson.com/xcart/catalo...-p-1-c-49.html

Great upgrade, $600 to 700 from the Summitt type box places.
Two hoses, 12:1 ratio, direct install and no leaks, well my ps pump started to leak after 16K. (Should have rnr the ps pump when doing the Borgeson install.)
Old 06-16-2014, 12:53 AM
gbrewer4601
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always had leaks, replaced lines several times, Simple solution, Always park in exact same spot, have an oil pan to catch the leaks in the exact same spot on garage floor, refill steering fluid before driving and carry extra fluid in car to refill when taking long trips
Old 06-16-2014, 09:34 AM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 359 Likes on 249 Posts

Make sure the hoses are routed the right way.They will rub on each other when in operation if not.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:46 AM
MGB
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Found the problem. Leaking return hose where the rubber hose converts to the metal hose.

Get notified of new replies

To Leaking power steering fluid???

Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by MGB
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies. Found the problem. Leaking return hose where the rubber hose converts to the metal hose.
Where the ring clamp is?
Old 10-01-2014, 10:18 PM
hotrodnick
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My steering is leaking as well, when I replace the shocks when the snow flies. I plan to work on it, until then cruise on
Old 10-07-2014, 03:32 PM
MGB
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '14

Actually the leak was on the return line where the metal part of the hose changes over to rubber hose at the pressed on fitting.

Quick Reply: Leaking power steering fluid???