C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:52 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Starter Wiring

Another wiring question (second of I'm sure many more this weekend)!!!

About to wire up the starter with the new harness... I have the red, black, purple and yellow wires depicted by the diagram:

Q1: Is the small gauge black wire from the harness supposed to hook to ground???

Q2: Where are the yellow and purple wires going to connect to my solenoid??? I only have one terminal versus the normal separate R and S terminals...

Thanks much... Sorry for being a pain... I did a few quick searches, but to no avail...

Rogman
Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Sorry, found this thread after posting my questions...

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...er-wiring.html

So it looks like the answer to Q2 is to hook the purple wire to the one terminal on the mini starter and shrink wrap the yellow (R terminal) wire back into the loom...

SO for Q1, black wire to ground on engine block???

Thanks much

Rogman
Old 04-26-2014, 11:15 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Rog,
The black ground wire is typically hooked to the out-board starter mounting bolt.
Regards,
Alan

Old 04-26-2014, 11:18 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

The black wire in the wiring diagram is the heavy gauge wire from the battery, not that black wire in your harness. I'd think the wire pictured is a ground wire. The fact it's not bundled with the other wires would suggests it doesn't connect down by the starter so it may go to the back of one of the heads.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Rog,
The black ground wire is typically hooked to the out-board starter mounting bolt.
Regards,
Alan

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
The black wire in the wiring diagram is the heavy gauge wire from the battery, not that black wire in your harness. I'd think the wire pictured is a ground wire. The fact it's not bundled with the other wires would suggests it doesn't connect down by the starter so it may go to the back of one of the heads.
Thanks guys... I connected that ground wire to the block where the frame to engine ground is... Hopefully, that will suffice...

Still looking for confirmation that the purple wire is what I am hooking up to the terminal on the solenoid...

Also, is there a "gucci" way to go from the push on connector (solenoid) to the approx 1/8 screw on that the purple connector has??? Guess I can carefully drill the small hole already in the terminal??? How would you guys do it???

Thanks

Rogman
Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 AM
TurboStitchCW
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, the purple wire goes to the solenoid terminal. It comes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch (auto) or clutch start switch (manual) to the bulkhead connector routed behind the wiper motor and down to the s terminal on the starter solenoid.

(found this elsewhere on the forum, so I can't take credit for the upload)

*****foot stuck in mouth*****
just noticed yours was a 73, not a 77
didn't even pay attention to who the OP was....lol

Last edited by TurboStitchCW; 04-27-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:21 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

'r' terminal wire [yellow] goes to the ign coil to help supply 12vdc while key switch is in the cranking mode. It gets its voltage from an internal connection inside the solenoid. OEM style. looking at your solenoid the terminal that should be the 'r' is hot all the time. it's hooked directly to the battery stud do not use. purple wire; change end and install. T

Last edited by terrys6t8roadster; 04-27-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: not complete
Old 04-27-2014, 09:39 AM
rogman16
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboStitchCW
Yes, the purple wire goes to the solenoid terminal. It comes from the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch (auto) or clutch start switch (manual) to the bulkhead connector routed behind the wiper motor and down to the s terminal on the starter solenoid.

(found this elsewhere on the forum, so I can't take credit for the upload)

*****foot stuck in mouth*****
just noticed yours was a 73, not a 77
didn't even pay attention to who the OP was....lol
Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
'r' terminal wire [yellow] goes to the ign coil to help supply 12vdc while key switch is in the cranking mode. It gets its voltage from an internal connection inside the solenoid. OEM style. looking at your solenoid the terminal that should be the 'r' is hot all the time. it's hooked directly to the battery stud do not use. purple wire; change end and install. T
Thanks guys... Didn't want to cut the new harness so drilled into the clip on the solenoid and bolted her up...

Rogman
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Starter wires on high torque starter.

This post has been very helpful. Purple wire to the terminal. Small black wire, is a ground to bolt on starter, do not use yellow wire. Is the red wire used? Thanks for the help.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:37 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The red wire goes on the large top lug on the solenoid along with the positive battery cable.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:51 PM
my 76 ray
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Rogman,

Does your car still have points in the distributor? If not, then the yellow wire isn't needed because when converting to HEI a constant 12V wire should be connected to the distributor.

If you still have points then the yellow wire normally would run from the R terminal on the solenoid to the + side of the coil. Its purpose is to provide 12 volts to make starting easier. It seems to me that you could use that wire and provide 12 volts only when starting by attaching it to the large lug on the bottom of the solenoid. That lug only gets power to engage the starter.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:27 PM
Franks73
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by my 76 ray
Rogman,

Does your car still have points in the distributor? If not, then the yellow wire isn't needed because when converting to HEI a constant 12V wire should be connected to the distributor.

If you still have points then the yellow wire normally would run from the R terminal on the solenoid to the + side of the coil. Its purpose is to provide 12 volts to make starting easier. It seems to me that you could use that wire and provide 12 volts only when starting by attaching it to the large lug on the bottom of the solenoid. That lug only gets power to engage the starter.
Hi, and thanks for the info. I read more on the topic, and thought the red wire went to the top lug. I updated to an HEI distributor. So much effort to restomod my 73. Can't wait to finally drive it! Vettes Rule!

Get notified of new replies

To Starter Wiring

Quick Reply: Starter Wiring