C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'78 dash lights update

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 09:14 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts
Default '78 dash lights update

Well the dash lights still don't work, but I'm going to replace the light switch to see if it's the problem - I think it is from all the test I've run.
BUT!!
The courtesy lights problem I WAS also having ( stayed on ) well I think I must have bought a female vette - LOL, because after removing the time delay module and jumping the white wires, I then pushed in the door jamb swithch in and the lights went out!!
So I thought I had cured the problem - wrong! I put everything back together, went to the driver seat shut the door, reattach the power at the battery and guess what the courtesy lights came on with both doors shut!! Now I'm P@#$ . Well now I go back around sit in the passenger seat pull out the grove box crap again, double check the jump wire, reattach power to the battery - lights come on - I push on the door jamb switch and the lights go out as they should. Well I shut the door and WTF the lights stay on?!?! BAM the light bulb in my head lights up - you guessed it the door jamb switch is good but adjusted in such a way the plunger doesn't break the ground when the door shuts! So I adjusted the F*&^#$ thing so it would work correctly, and they put everything back together including the time delay module and ALL IS GOOD!! So guys this is another gem to consider if you're having this problem.
Another note the 2 door switches are not the same - are there different versions?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:53 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol... And all my interior light bulbs are removed for this very reason! Glad I read this! Will check the door jamb push switch adjustment FIRST... Thanks for posting!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Originally Posted by FireballXL5
Lol... And all my interior light bulbs are removed for this very reason! Glad I read this! Will check the door jamb push switch adjustment FIRST... Thanks for posting!
Hopes it works for you.
Boy was I surprised and relieved. Now I have to replace the highlight switch and the seals on the right headlight actuator (waiting on the mailman), I hope I luck out with these too. LOL!
Old 04-30-2014, 04:19 PM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My PO was NOT his own mechanic... So, after dropping $13k on the car after buying it, never drove it... 253 miles in 2 years... Decided he was better off with a 2012 vette... Wanted to put a blower on that... So sold me the 1981 for $8k with all it's little 'issues'... Just enough money to pay a shop to add his blower to the new vette.

Aside from the rebuilt th350 he had put in failing at 2500 miles, all the 'issues' I've fixed have been crazy simple... To me anyways...

Best of luck hunting down your wiring issue to the dash lights... We all know how cramped it is to access those wires, and the miles of wires these cars seem to have... I'm half tempted to reside all my interior lighting with LED strip lights... I've got lots left over from other hobby adventures and know where I can pick up 5 meter strips of 12v LEDs for less than $7... Any color I want... Been using them on my large nitro Rc Helis for years to turn them into nightships... Wouldn't mind a nice blue interior lights with white in other critical areas... Project for another day...
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM
BLUDICE
Drifting

Dash lights work now!! We had a bad light switch. All interior lights are in working order-thank goodness!
Now on to the right head light actuator seals. Can't wait?

Get notified of new replies

To '78 dash lights update

Quick Reply: '78 dash lights update