C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about steering ???

Old 05-08-2014, 12:19 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Question about steering ???

On our cars the steering knuckle has 2 holes. One for manual steering (outer hole) and power steering (inner hole).
Question; has anyone used the outer manual steering holes with power steering?
I'm due for an alignment and my steering is very tight and hard to turn even though it is power assist. I would like it a little loser and easier turning in a parking lot would be a bonus!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

have you ever checked the grease in the steering box? I assume you are lubricating the grease fittings on all the steering components. What tire pressure are you running?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:11 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

hugie82,
Yes I tried and it DOES NOT WORK...steering is so sensitive you literally can not steer it at all.

I agree...tire pressure is often times forgotten.

DUB
Old 05-08-2014, 07:42 PM
bondoboy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
hugie82,
Yes I tried and it DOES NOT WORK...steering is so sensitive you literally can not steer it at all.

I agree...tire pressure is often times forgotten.

DUB
I would think that by using the other hole, the steering may have a different rate or length of travel than what the power steering cylinder has. My car has power steering and there are aluminum plugs in the manual steering holes so you can't use them.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:33 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Also, if you use the outer hole with a Corvette power steering system your assist cylinder may hit your engine oil pan. There is a reason why Chevrolet plugged those outer holes with a factory power steering system.
Jim
Old 05-09-2014, 04:10 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
Also, if you use the outer hole with a Corvette power steering system your assist cylinder may hit your engine oil pan. There is a reason why Chevrolet plugged those outer holes with a factory power steering system.
Jim
That's what I was afraid of.... Something hitting or over extending

The front end is all rebuild and very well greases.... But my power assist is all original and showing it's age a little (oil seeping seals)
I run the larger BFG 255-60r15 at 35-40psi. It seems I need two hands or a very hard with one hand in a parking lot. The highway is nice but I find myself using my knee against my hand to hold the wheel perfectly still. If I hit a bump or twitch the car reacts instantly!!! Awesome on a track but daily driving it's constant visual to keep it smooth and straight
Old 05-09-2014, 05:55 PM
DUB
Race Director

I know the word "may" was used. And GM did install plugs for reason. Using the outer hole will not cause the power assist cylinder to hit the oil pan. Because if your idler arm and power steering control valve are good...the steering link will not change its motion if the outer holes are used at the spindles. Those two points are fixed and allow the steering link to move side to side and sweep and the idler and PSCV should not have play in them to the point where your steering link wobbles.

It has everything to do with sensitivity which is extreme. Using the outer holes is a big NO-NO for a power steering car.

If others have done this and the power assist cylinder did hit your oil pan...I would be shocked ...only because I have never had one hit when parts of the system were correct....and the hole placement does not change that.

DUB
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 PM
gcusmano74
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Look at Jim Shea's post on the modification of the flow restrictor in the power steering pump. It used to be a "sticky" at the top of the tech page.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:06 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
Look at Jim Shea's post on the modification of the flow restrictor in the power steering pump. It used to be a "sticky" at the top of the tech page.
Becasue if everything is fine...then it more than likely is a power assist issue...and as we know ...Jim Shea has the knowledge ...that is for sure.

DUB
Old 05-10-2014, 08:17 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Question about steering?

From the 1971 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual, Steering 9-4.

"CAUTION: Do not use the rearward hole in the steering arm with power steering equipment or interference may result."

The manual does not describe exactly what and which components could have interference.
Jim
Old 05-10-2014, 12:08 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gcusmano74
I've seen Jim's wrote up on that and it's an excellent post. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone by loosening up the steering a little and getting a little more leverage for the power assist.
This is my 3rd C3 and I didn't have this sensitive steering problem on my other cars 1974 (427BBC) and 75. Did they change the steering box in the late 70s when they went to the smaller steering wheel? I've replaced all bushings with poly and there's is no play in any links or steering box. If that steering wheel moves, everything moves. Maybe I should loosen up the steering box gears with the adjustment bolt?

Just to recap, I have to brace my steering hand against my knee at highway speeds because movement over a 1/4 inch from a bump or just me getting comfortable will get the car changing lanes. It's a very solid tight steering and it's awesome on the twisties but highway on a long trip it gets tiring .....
Old 05-10-2014, 05:20 PM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by hugie82
I've seen Jim's wrote up on that and it's an excellent post. I was trying to kill two birds with one stone by loosening up the steering a little and getting a little more leverage for the power assist.
This is my 3rd C3 and I didn't have this sensitive steering problem on my other cars 1974 (427BBC) and 75. Did they change the steering box in the late 70s when they went to the smaller steering wheel? I've replaced all bushings with poly and there's is no play in any links or steering box. If that steering wheel moves, everything moves. Maybe I should loosen up the steering box gears with the adjustment bolt?

Just to recap, I have to brace my steering hand against my knee at highway speeds because movement over a 1/4 inch from a bump or just me getting comfortable will get the car changing lanes. It's a very solid tight steering and it's awesome on the twisties but highway on a long trip it gets tiring .....
Maybe it's the alignment, increase the caster to the max.
Old 05-10-2014, 06:23 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
From the 1971 Chevrolet Chassis Service Manual, Steering 9-4.

"CAUTION: Do not use the rearward hole in the steering arm with power steering equipment or interference may result."

The manual does not describe exactly what and which components could have interference.
Jim
I stand corrected....and I NEVER doubted you Jim. Key word again is "may". I just have never had it be a "may" when past employees put the tie rod in the outer hole during a set-up....only for me to catch it and let them know why it can not go in that location ( being power steering)....and that the last Corvette that they did was a manual steering car.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Question about steering ???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about steering ???