C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 08:16 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Indiancreek
A couple times I've had customers come in with a ghost noise like your's. Never could locate the problem. One of them even tore down the engine and couldn't find the source. He decided to drive it till it got worse or broke. Never did either. He's still driving it three years later. Still has a little noise that fades as it's driven.
Like the expression "Ghost Noise" - sure sounds spooky to me!
Old 11-25-2014, 07:28 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Originally Posted by gkull
First I would verify that your gauge is correct.

Second I would turn the timing down and see if the noise goes away

I have experience and been around motors that come into the pits with rod knock. It is easy to identify. just blip the throttle and you can hear the death rattle or even a squealing sound.

When you had the intake off did you actually pull the roller lifters and inspect the wheels? I've had failed roller wheel barrings back when I used cheap SR lifters and a failed aluminum rocker.
Well guys - I've finally pulled the oil pan and following initial inspection found that no.1 big end is well an truly ****ed! - with 20 to 30 thou' play removal of no.1 and no.2 caps followed.........didn't expect this
No.1 & 2 journal

No.1 cap and complete shell

No. 2 cap

No. 2 cap & shells

Old 12-01-2014, 05:52 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,875 Likes on 913 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

OUCH, Hate to see that. You're in for a complete teardown and cleanup, It will be interesting to see what the mains look like. The front two can be starved pretty easily. The long stroke motors are really picky about oil pans and windage. Very easy to get air in the system which doesn't lube very well. Which pan do you have? High oil pressure isn't an issue....I've run a lot for years...but it has to be solid with no dips. Same as if you had lower pressure.

JIM
Old 12-01-2014, 06:19 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Originally Posted by 427Hotrod
OUCH, Hate to see that. You're in for a complete teardown and cleanup, It will be interesting to see what the mains look like. The front two can be starved pretty easily. The long stroke motors are really picky about oil pans and windage. Very easy to get air in the system which doesn't lube very well. Which pan do you have? High oil pressure isn't an issue....I've run a lot for years...but it has to be solid with no dips. Same as if you had lower pressure.

JIM
Hi Jim - pan is stock type - stock capacity - no windage tray/screen, just a small baffle in bottom of pan. Was considering bigger capacity pan and windage tray when doing re-build (for the very reasons you mention). Been suffering from 'manflu' and a backache for a few days - so will get under the car and take some closer images of rods etc. in a day or so........... look after yourself.......
Old 12-01-2014, 07:39 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Thanks...I'm doing well.

Might as well start pulling it out. Not much more to do at this point. Good news is cranks aren't mega priced and/or you can fix that one. Is that a steel or cast one? Internal or external balanced?

We need a real good pan on anything over 4" stroke for sure. That front section of the stock style pan is just too close to the rotating parts to allow oil to get away from it. Causes foaming and windage issues.

JIM

JIM
Old 12-01-2014, 09:22 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Thanks...I'm doing well.

Might as well start pulling it out. Not much more to do at this point. Good news is cranks aren't mega priced and/or you can fix that one. Is that a steel or cast one? Internal or external balanced?

We need a real good pan on anything over 4" stroke for sure. That front section of the stock style pan is just too close to the rotating parts to allow oil to get away from it. Causes foaming and windage issues.

JIM

JIM
Supposed to be forged crank - and internally balanced - and yes, 4.25" stroke.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Should be able to turn it on either just the rods or mains also depending on how they look. Won't affect balance.

You can rebuild the rods or just buy two more, Need to look for signs of detonation on the rest of the bearings (uppers on rods and lowers on mains),

Past that it's just clean clean clean....everything. Ck pistons for metal embedded in the skirts and spend a lot of time with a pressure washer flushing the galleys.

JIM
Old 12-02-2014, 12:09 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Post #1 said u had high oil press with 70# at idle and off scale at cruise. I would think worn bearings would reduce oil press as the sys has less backpress around the bearing - someone correct here. Maybe u need to look at your oil press gauge calibration. Or maybe oil flow was too fast to maintain the oil film barrier - i can only guess that.

Sorry to read the news.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

My gut tells me there's some plugged oil holes with bearing material. When the bearings spun and stacked up some the clearances got real tight and pressure will rise. There might be more damaged ones as it's torn down. Could be metal stuck in bypass of oil pump also.

The high oil pressure isn't an issue. There may be some gauge issues but there certainly isn't a problem with high pressure wiping bearings or moving too fast. FE Fords, Buicks and Olds HI Perf engines have used over 100 psi for years to deal with the bearing speeds and they work fine.

BBC and SBC can certainly live with less pressure....they have a good system.....but 70-80+PSI at high RPM isn't a problem.

JIM
Old 12-02-2014, 01:01 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

My gut tells me there's some plugged oil holes with bearing material. When the bearings spun and stacked up some the clearances got real tight and pressure will rise. There might be more damaged ones as it's torn down. Could be metal stuck in bypass of oil pump also.

The high oil pressure isn't an issue. There may be some gauge issues but there certainly isn't a problem with high pressure wiping bearings or moving too fast. FE Fords, Buicks and Olds HI Perf engines have used over 100 psi for years to deal with the bearing speeds and they work fine.

BBC and SBC can certainly live with less pressure....they have a good system.....but 70-80+PSI at high RPM isn't a problem.

JIM
What would I do without you guys eh? -
Jim - on a previous post you said "Should be able to turn it on either just the rods or mains also depending on how they look. Won't affect balance". - I wasn't too sure what you meant there?
Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I meant that you can "turn" the crank undersize (machine it) to say .010" or .020" undersized pretty easily and it won't require you to rebalance it. As long as crank hasn't been turned too blue from heat it should machine just fine. If a main bearing turns out to look the same it will likely be bent and will either need straightening (good shops do it all the time- it's crude to watch...but it works!), If it's too much it will be time to look into a new crank.

JIM
Old 12-02-2014, 02:37 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

I meant that you can "turn" the crank undersize (machine it) to say .010" or .020" undersized pretty easily and it won't require you to rebalance it. As long as crank hasn't been turned too blue from heat it should machine just fine. If a main bearing turns out to look the same it will likely be bent and will either need straightening (good shops do it all the time- it's crude to watch...but it works!), If it's too much it will be time to look into a new crank.

JIM
Thanks Jim - I'm 'with' you now!
Old 12-02-2014, 11:54 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Looking at my 1988 Chevy Power catalog - 6th edition - i found it saying that the most of engine bearing failures were a result of oil press loss due to the oil pump picking up air while in turns. At racing speeds of course. And is aggravated by:
-insufficient oil level capacity
-high oil flow rates from excessive bearing clearance or unnecessarily high oil press
-poor oil baffling
Just FYI. Or maybe i ate too much chocolate and can justify it by sharing your anxiety.

Again sorry to read the damage. Hoping u can correct the cause of the problem.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:14 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Originally Posted by cardo0
Looking at my 1988 Chevy Power catalog - 6th edition - i found it saying that the most of engine bearing failures were a result of oil press loss due to the oil pump picking up air while in turns. At racing speeds of course. And is aggravated by:
-insufficient oil level capacity
-high oil flow rates from excessive bearing clearance or unnecessarily high oil press
-poor oil baffling
Just FYI. Or maybe i ate too much chocolate and can justify it by sharing your anxiety.

Again sorry to read the damage. Hoping u can correct the cause of the problem.
I will measure oil pump pick-up position relative to bottom of oil pan. Will certainly look at a larger capacity pan and possible windage tray when do re-build.

Quick Reply: Strange engine noise