C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a 80 exhaust manifold component

Old 05-14-2014, 07:52 PM
samdjr74
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need help with a 80 exhaust manifold component

Hi All,

I pulled the smog pump off of my engine and now I'm disconnecting the the "sniffer" tubes that go from the smog pump into the cast iron manifolds. I removed all but two of them. I've been using the coat hanger trick but these last two tubes are not budging. Any suggestions that might help to get these out would be great. For the record one of the them is the first one on the driver side under the alternator and the other is the exact opposite on the passenger side all the way in the back.

Thanks,
Sam
Old 05-15-2014, 12:40 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

I have had good success removing those tubes using some "easy outs"; tool bits used for extracting broken bolts.

Last edited by Joe Papa; 05-15-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:08 AM
samdjr74
Racer

I was using that a lit bit last night but I'm afraid I'll break it off in the tube. I've heard that these tubes will fall apart when not connected to a smog pump, is that really the case? I'm trying to look at worse case scenario here if I can't get these last two out and just leave them in. How bad will it be?

Originally Posted by Joe Papa
I have had good success removinging those tubes using some "easy outs"; tool bits used for extracting broken bolts.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:38 AM
Joe Papa
Advanced

I don't believe that the remaining tubes will fall apart. I would try some penetrating oil and see if you can tap the top of the tubes with a punch to break the "fit" and work in the oil.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with a 80 exhaust manifold component

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help with a 80 exhaust manifold component