C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting the water temperature gauge to work again

Old 05-19-2014, 08:54 AM
jaybird81
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting the water temperature gauge to work again

My water temp gauge was functioning fine when I had my stock motor in. I pulled the motor out of my 81 and replaced it with a 350 from a 72 Chevelle. I think I figured out what controls the temp gauge, but had a question. The original motor has 2 "sensors" one in each side head. The drivers side has one terminal between the 1 and 3 cylinder, and the passenger side has a 2 terminal (terminals are side by side) between the 6 and 8 cylinder. I didn't know which or if both control the gauge. But after reading another post am I correct in saying the one on the passenger side controls the electric fan? If that is correct then the one on the drivers side must control the gauge, correct? Now the motor I put in out of the chevelle has a sensor on the drivers side head in the same location as the Vette motor. The only difference is the one on the chevelle has 2 terminals, in an "L" (Meaning the terminals are not side by side). Can I use the sensor all ready in the motor to work my gauge or do I need to take the sensor out of the original motor and put it in the new motor? If I can use the sensor that is all ready in the new motor what do I do about the sensor having 2 terminals and the wire in the car having one?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:00 AM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird81
My water temp gauge was functioning fine when I had my stock motor in. I pulled the motor out of my 81 and replaced it with a 350 from a 72 Chevelle. I think I figured out what controls the temp gauge, but had a question. The original motor has 2 "sensors" one in each side head. The drivers side has one terminal between the 1 and 3 cylinder, and the passenger side has a 2 terminal (terminals are side by side) between the 6 and 8 cylinder. I didn't know which or if both control the gauge. But after reading another post am I correct in saying the one on the passenger side controls the electric fan? If that is correct then the one on the drivers side must control the gauge, correct? Now the motor I put in out of the chevelle has a sensor on the drivers side head in the same location as the Vette motor. The only difference is the one on the chevelle has 2 terminals, in an "L" (Meaning the terminals are not side by side). Can I use the sensor all ready in the motor to work my gauge or do I need to take the sensor out of the original motor and put it in the new motor? If I can use the sensor that is all ready in the new motor what do I do about the sensor having 2 terminals and the wire in the car having one?
Why would you not just use the original sensors for the car?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:19 AM
jaybird81
Racer

Originally Posted by wombvette
Why would you not just use the original sensors for the car?
Yes, I agree. However, I thought I would ask about getting the one in the motor all ready to work, because I am concerned they might not be the same thread. I figured I would just ask if it was possible to get the two terminal to work.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:15 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You are correct, the sender on the passenger side is for the electric fan, the one on the driver side is for the dash unit. Use the original sender from the original engine.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 AM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

The one from the Chevelle was probably for a light or for a gauge that uses a different ohm-rating. Use the proper Corvette sending unit for your car so you'll know that your gauge works correctly.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 PM
jaybird81
Racer

Originally Posted by CaseyJones
The one from the Chevelle was probably for a light or for a gauge that uses a different ohm-rating. Use the proper Corvette sending unit for your car so you'll know that your gauge works correctly.
thanks guys, looks like I will not try and get the one in there to work, and just go with the original one. Should the tread be the same?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:30 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

They both should be 5/8 npt... and Casey is correct, the two wire one from the chevelle will not work your gauge properly.

Get notified of new replies

To getting the water temperature gauge to work again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: getting the water temperature gauge to work again