C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 SB oil pan

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 07:20 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 1968 SB oil pan

My 1968 has a stripped oil pan drain plug. New correct oil pan with the drain plug at the back of the pan like my original is about $300.00 to $330.00.
Has anyone removed their oil pan and had the stripped oil pan drain plug repaired?
What was done in the repair?
Old 05-27-2014, 11:59 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

how about a self tapping oversize drain plug
Old 05-27-2014, 01:54 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Default 1968 oil pan

MelWff I might have to try that.
When I changed my 68's oil Friday I did notice that in removing the oil drain plug that there was more resistance in the beginning of the removal that was lost and then the drain plug unscrewed easily for several turns.
Installing the oil drain plug it starts in the threads normally and then the resistance begins. I did install the drain plug until it was tight but not 100% installed as usual.
I put some new oil in and saw no immediate leakage. Installed the rest of the oil and started the 68 to pull into the garage. No leakage seen parked in the garage.
I put a clean pan under the drain plug and SAT morning there was a very small drop of oil in the pan.
Drove the 68 SAT, SUN, and MON and no significant loss of oil. While parked in the garage it still has shown only small drop of oil.
I thought about running a tap into the threads before I installed the drain plug, but with the angle of the threaded hole did not think it would work.

Since 1973 I am the only person that has changed the oil in my 68. I have changed it many times since 1973. I do tighten the oil plug without using a torque wrench, so the last time I did it I must of tightened it to much and caused this problem.

Last edited by 70ZZ3 96LT4; 05-27-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:17 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

the other thing you can do is remove the plug take it to a local auto parts store and buy a washer with a rubber coating on both sides.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MelWff
the other thing you can do is remove the plug take it to a local auto parts store and buy a washer with a rubber coating on both sides.
I have two extra drain plugs I kept when I replaced drain plugs with drain plugs that had magnets in the end of the drain plugs so I will not have to remove the 68's plug.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

If you screw a tap into the threaded hole, you will cause a few metal particles to get into the bottom of the oil pan. If you could buy an oversize-thread drain plug with a magnet installed on the end of the plug, the magnet would catch any metal particles.

My concern would be that the drain plug itself would work loose and fall out while you are driving the car! It happened to my daughter's car when the mechanic who changed the oil stripped out the oil pan threaded hole causing the plug to vibrate out while she was driving.

It's a good thing the engine had a low oil pressure kill-switch which caused the engine to quit running so it could not be ruined.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:56 PM
70ZZ3 96LT4
Burning Brakes

Default Metal particles

Originally Posted by doorgunner
If you screw a tap into the threaded hole, you will cause a few metal particles to get into the bottom of the oil pan. If you could buy an oversize-thread drain plug with a magnet installed on the end of the plug, the magnet would catch any metal particles.

My concern would be that the drain plug itself would work loose and fall out while you are driving the car! It happened to my daughter's car when the mechanic who changed the oil stripped out the oil pan threaded hole causing the plug to vibrate out while she was driving.

It's a good thing the engine had a low oil pressure kill-switch which caused the engine to quit running so it could not be ruined.
I thought about the metal particles. If I did use a tap I would use grease on the tap and clean the tap after a few turns and apply more grease. I have magnets that will fit into the oil pan drain hole. Would also pour some oil in the engine to drain out of the hole. If I knew for sure that a tap could fix it, I could also remove the oil pan to use a tap on the old original 68's oil pan that has never been removed.

Last edited by 70ZZ3 96LT4; 05-30-2014 at 12:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1968 SB oil pan

Quick Reply: 1968 SB oil pan