C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borgeson Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 10:08 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Borgeson Leaking

Installed a Borgeson 999032 kit on my 1981 about 5 weeks ago. Was really enjoying the difference it was making in overall driving feel.

Today I noticed a little slop in the steering again. When I got home, I popped the hood, and notice some fluid on the borgeson unit. I jacked the car up and noticed that its leaking enough to wet the frame rails quite a bit. I can see it is obviously leaking from the shaft that connects to the steering column. I think that is the source for the frame wetness.

It also is leaking from the top of the unit. I can see fluid on the top of the unit, which there would be no way for that fluid to be coming from the previously mentioned location.

I looked carefully at the hose attach points, and no sign of leaking there.

Has anyone else had a problem with their Borgeson unit leaking?? Especially after only 5 weeks?

I REALLY hope I don't have to completely pull the unit out of the car (which I'm betting I will have to), and spend an arm and a leg shipping it back to Borgeson. That will really suck.

Help!
Attached Images      

Last edited by Zero1Niner; 05-26-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

I realize the images are not too easy to see, but some clearly show the fluid leaking. Taking pics of that is a pain.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:40 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Give Jeff at Borgeson a call tomorrow and explain your situation to him. I'm sure he'll do everything he can to help you out. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Originally Posted by Les
Give Jeff at Borgeson a call tomorrow and explain your situation to him. I'm sure he'll do everything he can to help you out. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Called Jeff today. Really nice guy. He recommended I keep an eye on the fluid level for a few days, and see if the leaking stops.

So I was checking again today, and noticed that my small hairline crack that was in the frame rail has become a lot more cracked since I installed the Borgeson. I was a little worried about that happening.

Since I discovered that tonight, I am going to tear the steering unit out of the car this weekend and return it to Borgeson on Monday. I will rip out the control arms and weld that frame while its out of commission.

What a bummer. Wasnt expecting to do all of this work so soon.
Attached Images    
Old 05-28-2014, 07:23 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look like it could be 2 leaks? The first pics show a small leak at the input seal and your last pic shows a little leak from 1 bolt. If it was just the bolt I would say to remove and add some thread sealer. But that would not fix the seal leak if its still leaking.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:16 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Originally Posted by Marlin
look like it could be 2 leaks? The first pics show a small leak at the input seal and your last pic shows a little leak from 1 bolt. If it was just the bolt I would say to remove and add some thread sealer. But that would not fix the seal leak if its still leaking.
Yeah. I think its 2 leaks also. The input shaft and the aluminum plate where it meets the cast housing.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:20 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

When I installed the unit, I ran at least a half gallon of power steering fluid through the system to flush it. It was coming out clean before I hooked it up. I was concerned about the heat being the unit is so close to the heat shield, but Jeff said no way. What the heck could make it leak from 2 places like that??
Old 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
Called Jeff today. Really nice guy. He recommended I keep an eye on the fluid level for a few days, and see if the leaking stops.

So I was checking again today, and noticed that my small hairline crack that was in the frame rail has become a lot more cracked since I installed the Borgeson. I was a little worried about that happening.

Since I discovered that tonight, I am going to tear the steering unit out of the car this weekend and return it to Borgeson on Monday. I will rip out the control arms and weld that frame while its out of commission.

What a bummer. Wasnt expecting to do all of this work so soon.
The borgeson steering box is applying a lot of force in a place that's not intended to (unless you have non assisted sterring and hydraulic powered arms).
On my car stationary but running with the hood open, I can see the borgeson box slightly tilting left and right when I do a quick turn.
It's minimal but still notable.
The frame is definitely flexing here.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:43 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Denpo
The borgeson steering box is applying a lot of force in a place that's not intended to (unless you have non assisted sterring and hydraulic powered arms).
On my car stationary but running with the hood open, I can see the borgeson box slightly tilting left and right when I do a quick turn.
It's minimal but still notable.
The frame is definitely flexing here.
Actually, if I am not mistaken , the factory power assist ram attaches to a bracket that is normally right under the frame where the steering box is installed (see the pictures in the OP post you will see the 4 holes for the assist ram bracket right inline with the bottom of the steering box) so I don't think any force is being applied that inst being applied with a factory power steering system or "arm strong" manual powersteering. The forces wind up in the same location.

Ive seen my box "move" as well .... all the more reason to have the car moving slightly before turning the wheels .

Last edited by mysixtynine; 05-28-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

the leaking borgeson box leading to the discovery of the crack in your frame saved you from having a major accident somewhere down the road.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:13 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by qwank
the leaking borgeson box leading to the discovery of the crack in your frame saved you from having a major accident somewhere down the road.
= safety feature

I'm still happy w/ my borg box.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:34 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Shark Racer

I'm still happy w/ my borg box.

me too
Old 05-28-2014, 09:40 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Originally Posted by qwank
ABSOLUTELY!! To funny. I was just saying exactly the same thing to a friend not 30 minutes ago...that Borgeson saved my life!

And just to be clear, I'm not bashing Borgeson at all. Of course it's a frustrating nightmare to tear it back out and have the car inop for a few weeks, but I love the Borgeson. Best improvement yet.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:29 AM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
Actually, if I am not mistaken , the factory power assist ram attaches to a bracket that is normally right under the frame where the steering box is installed (see the pictures in the OP post you will see the 4 holes for the assist ram bracket right inline with the bottom of the steering box) so I don't think any force is being applied that inst being applied with a factory power steering system or "arm strong" manual powersteering. The forces wind up in the same location.

Ive seen my box "move" as well .... all the more reason to have the car moving slightly before turning the wheels .
I think on the factory system, the forces are acting opposite each other, aren't they? So there would be quite a bit less frame stress with the factory setup if that's the case. Regardless, I think there is a big difference in load on the frame with the Borg box. I will definitely be reinforcing that frame when it gets welded.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:46 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zero1Niner
I think on the factory system, the forces are acting opposite each other, aren't they? So there would be quite a bit less frame stress with the factory setup if that's the case. Regardless, I think there is a big difference in load on the frame with the Borg box. I will definitely be reinforcing that frame when it gets welded.
Well ... if you think about it. The manual setup has no ram at all. So the manual box will put the same stress on the frame to move the wheels. The Borg box is essentially the same setup as the manual steering box but can just do it quicker.

In looking at your first picture... you had frame issues before. The pad where the power assist ram bracket mounted was ripped off at some point and appears to have been welded a while ago. Look at your second and third picture ... all that welding bead down by the pitman arm is not normal there.

Last edited by mysixtynine; 05-29-2014 at 04:00 PM. Reason: wrong picture referenced
Old 05-29-2014, 04:00 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mysixtynine
Well ... if you think about it. The manual setup has no ram at all. So the manual box will put the same stress on the frame to move the wheels. The Borg box is essentially the same setup as the manual steering box but can just do it quicker.
This makes sense - the only exception is that a person with a manual steering car is not as likely to crank on the wheel with the car dead stopped, whereas a person with power (of any variant) may. The manual driver is going to be trained to get the car moving a bit to help it turn, so the P/S car is going to have a higher likelihood of seeing greater forces exerted on that area.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:14 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This makes sense - the only exception is that a person with a manual steering car is not as likely to crank on the wheel with the car dead stopped, whereas a person with power (of any variant) may. The manual driver is going to be trained to get the car moving a bit to help it turn, so the P/S car is going to have a higher likelihood of seeing greater forces exerted on that area.
While I stand corrected on the fact that the stock assist cylinder is anchored quiet close from the steering box, when I said "with hydraulic assisted arm", I meant was just said.

Get notified of new replies

To Borgeson Leaking

Old 05-29-2014, 04:44 PM
mysixtynine
Burning Brakes

Good point. Even with power steering ... I always try to keep the car moving for just this reason. Its soooo much easier on the components.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Denpo
While I stand corrected on the fact that the stock assist cylinder is anchored quiet close from the steering box, when I said "with hydraulic assisted arm", I meant was just said.
I got the joke.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM
Zero1Niner
Racer

Default Update

Part 2 of the story, just for entertainment value...

I decided to tear the borgeson out of the car and return it for repair. Took the better part of the day to get it out, and had to remove the steering column...again...and get that freaking pitman arm off. What a pain.

Shipped it back to borgeson..and UPS lost it.

But 2 or 3 days later it showed up at Borgeson.

Now for the disappointing part.

They hooked it to the testing equipment and said they couldnt find anything wrong. They said they tested it under a heavy pressure load, left it under pressure for a while, but found no leaks. I explained as much detail as I could, but they said there is no other testing they can perform that they havent already done, and that was their conclusion.

REALLY frustrated with this. So now its on the way back to me...just the way I removed it, so I can spend another day installing it, and praying it doesnt leak again.

REALLY bummed about this. The pics clearly show it leaking from 2 different places, none of which is the hose connections, and spending all of that time installing, removing, and now reinstalling again, anticipating that this is going to need to come out one more time....its making me crazy. That is a lot of time, money and frustration waisted. If I have to tear it out again, Ill just switch back to the factory setup.

Quick Reply: Borgeson Leaking