C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magna Flow System

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 07:00 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Magna Flow System

Recently I tried to install a MagnaFlow exhaust system with the "X" pipe built in. This is on s BB with T-400 automatic . Let me state the system is excellent quality with 16 gauge and all mandral bends with hideaway magna flow mufflers.

Now the issue - the front pipes do not fit an automatic, bends do not clear the shift linkage or trans pan. A call to magnaflow support resulted in "that is the only system for a 73 BB and the bends are for a 4-speed". We not make one specifically for automatics and have some open cases of this problem. Ended up ordering a full system from CC with magnaflow mufflers for an automatic and it was a true bolt on system. Word to the wise, with a 4-speed it is a great product, not automatics.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:12 PM
C2C3PO
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened to me a year ago and I posted the same on this Forum - so I am sorry you had to find out the hard way.
Let me guess the passenger side bends are completely wrong ?
I called them and told them to change their description to warn others of the problem as back then they claimed not to know of the discrepancy. I even emailed pics of the problems so their tech dept could get on it right away and save others from the frustration.
Other than send me a couple of segments of pipe for me to cut and fabricate my own passenger side piece from the manifold through to the crossmember they have done little else.
I recognize sometimes "things" happen but there is no excuse for them not to update their site and the product description to prevent others from the same fate.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:42 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

You are right on! You did not buy a system to start screwing around fabricating pipes. I unfortunately feel they step off their name and do not go out of their way to make things right. It cost me extra shipping to return the crate and to get a new system from CC to me. I would have to think real hard before buying from they again.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:17 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Years ago, back when I lived in FARYland, outside DC, I noted that the only exhaust pipes I could find were pre bent aftermarket, bent to OEM specs and nothing else.....

thankfully here in FLORIDA I have a good pipe shop just next door....

he bent what I needed for my '72, which is the last year for a 'normal' engine.....no EGR/etc.....

Old 05-31-2014, 10:20 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

The best system you can get is one fabricated to your car, all mandrel bends and all connections butt welded. Over the years your Vette gets tweaked here and there and a direct DIY system does not really exist.

The muffler shops do this on a daily basis and it is a no brainer for them to fab up a system any way you want it. You are not saving big bucks from venders one size fits all, my recommendation and will always be, is to take you Vette to a custom exhaust shop and get it done right. ManaFlow are the best mufflers for our C3's partly because of where they are located.

When I see clamps where there should be welds I get a feeling Mickey Mouse and friends have done it. An aluminized exhaust will last 20 years if garage kept and not driven in snow and SS will still be there long after you are using a cane to operate the gas pedal.

Old 06-01-2014, 07:21 AM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I guess the only way out of it is to put in a 4 speed or put on side pipes!
Old 06-01-2014, 12:42 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

I like Big Dave's idea
Old 06-01-2014, 02:16 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Block Dave
I guess the only way out of it is to put in a 4 speed or put on side pipes!
NO, your job is to find a man with a nice pipe bender and knows how to use it, and yes, that's a tough job, you can thank the EPA for that crap.....and stick shifts are FAR easier in any C3 for exhaust bending, than ANY automatic....my Muncie '72 went automatic, and I had to cut/widen the tunnel on the pass/right side in order for either pan to fit, the 700 or the 200 4r.....the band pistons would hit the glass.......

Old 06-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

My answer was intended to be a comically sarcastic way of suggesting to spend money on fun things, not as a technically correct answer. I think the OP got that.

Get notified of new replies

To Magna Flow System

Quick Reply: Magna Flow System