C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 running rough and surges

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:02 PM
Shawnee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 82 running rough and surges

My 82 has suddenly started to run rough and surge at idle after I did some recent work. My cruise had not been working (previously disconnected the vacuum) so decided to replace the transducer. Took it out for a drive and was running fine but the cruise did not want to stay at the set speed. I decided to adjust it this weekend and have had nothing but problems since.

Took it out for a drive and the car acts like it is not getting any gas and want to shut off. Very hard to start and when it does it is very rich running and have to pump it to keep it running for a little while until it settles out. Decided I would disconnect and plug the vacuum port for the cruise at the manifold and see if that helped any. NO, still acting the same.

Pulled the air cleaner and noticed that when you rev the engine it appears that the cone of gas into the TB's is not very consistant. Looks as it it is spitting some. At idle, I have a good cone shape. While the car is at idle, it will occassionaly surge.

I have done all the upgrades with the fuel pressure and pump, new IAC's and balanced the TB's. Car has been running great since I got it back on the road until I started on the cruise. Only thing that I pulled loose was the hose that went to the canister next the side vent. Still have the vacuum port for the cruise plug and will do the same on the headlight/temp control port once I get another plug.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. would the canister connection be causing an issue.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 AM
FireballXL5
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is your gas tank pressurized when you open the cap? I'm not entirely sure how that whole system operates with the fuel vapor canister thing... But I think it back feeds to the gas tank. And perhaps a likely culprit as it's one of the things you messed with?
Old 06-02-2014, 06:51 AM
Shawnee
Intermediate

Tank did not appear to be pressurized yesterday but will verify this afternoon.

Anyone have a diagram as to how the hose are to be hooked up. I have two hose, one goes up to the PVC valve and the other goes to the tank. Am I missing anything?
Old 06-02-2014, 08:03 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Shawnee
Tank did not appear to be pressurized yesterday but will verify this afternoon.

Anyone have a diagram as to how the hose are to be hooked up. I have two hose, one goes up to the PVC valve and the other goes to the tank. Am I missing anything?
The one that goes to the PVC goes to the solenoid first. Did you unplug the solenoid? Is the solenoid working?

Jim
Old 06-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Shawnee
Intermediate

[QUOTE=jdp6000;1587036863]The one that goes to the PVC goes to the solenoid first. Did you unplug the solenoid? Is the solenoid working?

No pressure on the tank. Two hoses are coming from the canister. One goes to the tank. The other goes to the PVC. There is a "t" in the hose that has a smaller hoses that goes to the solenoid. The solenoid was not removed. How do you verify the solenoid is working?

How many hoses should be going to the canister and how are they connected?
Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Shawnee
Intermediate

Finally found the diagram in the manual. Should have three hoses insted of two. I need to know where the hose from the other side of the solenoid attaches to the canister. I have the one from the PVC side connected.

Anyone have a picture?

Get notified of new replies

To 82 running rough and surges

Quick Reply: 82 running rough and surges