C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirrors for a 76

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM
eseel
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mirrors for a 76

I am restoring a 76. Somewhere along the line two new door skins were put on the doors but I don't know where they were purchased. I was told that the holes for the 76 chrome mirrors and the holes for the sport mirrors (77 and beyond) are slightly different. The car is primered and ready for paint however I don't know which mirrors to purchase. Does anyone know how I tell which mirrors will fit? I know 76 had chrome mirrors but I don't know if the past owner(s) used a 76 door skin? Can someone help me out?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:41 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Not sure why it would make a difference since you are repainting the car. You can put the appropriate holes in the correct spot for either type of mirror. No difference in the door skins.

Last edited by MelWff; 06-04-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:46 AM
eseel
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not worried about drilling new holes, thats no problem. I want to make sure whatever mirrors I purchase completely cover the existing holes?
Old 06-04-2014, 11:54 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

confirm with the vendor that the mirrors you order come with a template. From the template you can then judge whether you will have an issue.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by eseel
...I want to make sure whatever mirrors I purchase completely cover the existing holes?...
Post a pic of your existing holes. Chrome and sport mirrors mount differently and the hole spacing is easy to determine. Where mirrors on or with the car when you purchased it? Does your left side interior door panel have a hole in it for the sport mirror joy stick?

Old 06-05-2014, 05:35 AM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the the sport mirrors on mine they look good but can't see all to well I would suggest c6 mirrors they cover the holes ,you can see over humps and modern. They are probably cheaper for the pair too than replacement for ours I've seen Em on flea bay for 120 shipped just a thought and if your a wiz you can make electrics functional
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2014, 06:36 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by eseel
I am restoring a 76. Somewhere along the line two new door skins were put on the doors but I don't know where they were purchased. I was told that the holes for the 76 chrome mirrors and the holes for the sport mirrors (77 and beyond) are slightly different. The car is primered and ready for paint however I don't know which mirrors to purchase. Does anyone know how I tell which mirrors will fit? I know 76 had chrome mirrors but I don't know if the past owner(s) used a 76 door skin? Can someone help me out?
I installed the Corvette Sport Mirrors on my 1973 in the early 90's while painting the car. These were a very popular mod when the Sport Mirrors were introduced in 1977. If you do go that route, be sure to get the Corvette Sport Mirrors, and not the F-Body mirrors. The F-Body mirrors have a shorter pedestal (about 1 inch), and they will give you little more than a view of your quarter panels.

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default sport mirrors

I had a new 1976 Vette. When driver and passenger side sport mirrors (option D35) became available the 1977 model year, I obtained a set and installed them on my 1976. I do not remember any templates coming with the mirrors. I am sure that we did not have any holes that had to be filled when we located and installed the mirrors. I am sure that a major reason for the driver location was to cover (or use) the original holes. The passenger mirror was installed matching the driver location. Both rear views seemed to be correct for the mounting location(s) we picked.

The driver side mirror could change position by means of a small cable operated lever that had to be mounted on the inside door panel. You had to be careful as to the cable routing since the driver window required clearance as it raised and lowered past the cable. (The passenger side mirror was fixed and required manual positioning.)

BTW, my 76 T&T steering column also received a 1977 leather wrapped steering wheel about the same time.

Jim
Old 06-06-2014, 11:04 AM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
I had a new 1976 Vette. When driver and passenger side sport mirrors (option D35) became available the 1977 model year, I obtained a set and installed them on my 1976. I do not remember any templates coming with the mirrors. I am sure that we did not have any holes that had to be filled when we located and installed the mirrors. I am sure that a major reason for the driver location was to cover (or use) the original holes. The passenger mirror was installed matching the driver location. Both rear views seemed to be correct for the mounting location(s) we picked.

The driver side mirror could change position by means of a small cable operated lever that had to be mounted on the inside door panel. You had to be careful as to the cable routing since the driver window required clearance as it raised and lowered past the cable. (The passenger side mirror was fixed and required manual positioning.)

BTW, my 76 T&T steering column also received a 1977 leather wrapped steering wheel about the same time.

Jim
Jim, I looked and looked for a used set of sport mirrors to install on my '77 that came with the chrome mirror. I even fell for a set of Camaro mirrors at a Corvette show in Jackson Miss. Until I walked to the parking lot and compared them to a set on a Corvette and realized they were much shorter. Fortunately the vendor insisted he didn't realize they were not Corvette mirrors and took them back. I finally just went to GM and bought a set for the princely sum of about $125 as I recall. Unfortunately I sold the car to buy a C4 and never got around to installing them on the '77. But I knew I'd end up with another Shark Car sooner or later.

I hope you saved that "Vega" wheel, I understand they've become quite a collectors item for those restoring '76 Corvettes...

And thank you immensely for all of your great papers on Corvette steering columns. They have saved me untold time and aggravation!

GUSTO
Old 06-06-2015, 03:25 PM
GaToy
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread has answered a lot of question such as why can I only see my quarter panels. And why does my passenger mirror look crooked. Does anyone have pictures other than the one above of different mirrors that they have installed?

Get notified of new replies

To Mirrors for a 76

Quick Reply: Mirrors for a 76