C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service Block

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
rayy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Block

Getting ready to sale a 1971 big block car but had a question about the engine. I got it to sale because i need the money to finish my 71 vert. The story on the engine was it was replaced under warranty with a service block. It has CB3322028 on the engine tab. It has all the correct pulleys and such but just wondering if there is anyway to know if its from 71. Everything on the car indicates that it is a real 454 car Tach, emissions tag etc. Was wrecked in the early 80s and stored ever since. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by rayy; 06-05-2014 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:36 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't think it really makes a lot of difference, a non-original engine is a non-original engine, isn't it? Just what is it that you are getting at, anyway? That the original engine was replaced with a '71 crate engine? Are you thinking that this might somehow be a selling point?

Scott
Old 06-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rayy
It has CB3322028 on the engine tab.
It's probably CE and not CB. This indicates a GM short block was either an over the counter spare or possibly a warranty replacement. The 3 after CE indicates that it was built in 1973.

There's no telling without extensive paperwork whether it was installed as a direct warranty replacement by a dealer in 1973 or by someone else at another point in time.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 PM
rayy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea that is what I was thinking. But I have had a couple of local people ask the question which I thought was a little strange because if its not original what difference does it really make other than having a 454 that comes with it. I did not think it would be selling point I have just been asked the question from more than one person. I just thought since I am no C3 expert thought there might be something I am missing.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:04 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Hi Ray,

Service blocks typically start with CE, for Chevrolet Engine. The first digit after the CE would indicate the year, so yours may be CE3 for a 1973 block... I do not know what the number sequence was for 1973 blocks. Typically service replacements only had 5 digits after the year.

Here is an example of a 1971 CE small block:
Attached Images  
Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by rayy
Yea that is what I was thinking. But I have had a couple of local people ask the question which I thought was a little strange because if its not original what difference does it really make other than having a 454 that comes with it. I did not think it would be selling point I have just been asked the question from more than one person. I just thought since I am no C3 expert thought there might be something I am missing.
Randy,
Is it possible that what they are really asking is if it is an original big block and not just a small block car that someone dropped a BB into? I would simply mention all of the other items that the car has that indicate it left the factory as a BB car. Unless of course you have the build sheet, in which case I'd just show them that...

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Service Block

Quick Reply: Service Block