Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Vert Lite RestoMod Project

Old 08-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rajin cajin
Is that the condition of the trans tunnel before cleaning?? Looks damn clean.
After cleaning. It was a mess before the bat cable went in. Just talked to the guys at Vansteel and my suspension is headed this way.

I also have new wheels and tires coming.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:30 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Oh man do I feel like a kid at xmass! Parts have arrived from Vansteel and Paragon. Just need the new battery cables...decided not to use the ones I put in because the bushings wouldn't fit properly in the battery box so I ordered cables that have the correct bushings already installed. Live and learn...the hard way.

Anyway, some pics of the new offsets and QA1s. Headed to Carlisle this weekend so it will be a few weeks before install can begin.
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Not much done last weekend except driving up to Carlisle on Saturday. I actually ran into and said hi to Gary from VTech and Paul from Vansteel. Speaking with Paul was valuable in assisting me with assembling the parts this weekend. He was able to use their models to demonstrate various geometric settings to consider.

Yesterday and today I placed the diff. back in the car, the new trailing arms, strut rods, sway bar brackets and bars. On Monday a buddy will be bringing his welder over so we can set the upper shock mounts and the coil overs can go in and then finally the new Boss 338s will go on and varoom, we'll be driving again for a few days. Next steps will be to flip the car around on the lift and start on the front half of the frame and the front suspension (more Vansteel goodies).
Attached Images    
Old 08-30-2014, 01:36 PM
Ranger24
Pro

More pics.
Attached Images     
Old 08-30-2014, 01:40 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Looks Great!!!! I have to leaking brake calipers on the drivers side , so I am moving to suspension now.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:21 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Looks Great!!!! I have to leaking brake calipers on the drivers side , so I am moving to suspension now.
Thanks, the upper shock mounts are proving to be a challenge. Walking away for a day or two then back it to see if I get them straight.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Good luck, what type of suspension are you thinking about?
Old 08-31-2014, 08:41 AM
fka466
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a 78 less than a week ago. Your suspension setup looks awesome. I'm very interested to see how it looks completed and on the ground. What size tires and rims are you planning on running?

I would like to run a set of offset TAs but i'm worried I will have to get new wheels, and I really like my stock wheels.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:54 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Originally Posted by fka466
I just picked up a 78 less than a week ago. Your suspension setup looks awesome. I'm very interested to see how it looks completed and on the ground. What size tires and rims are you planning on running?

I would like to run a set of offset TAs but i'm worried I will have to get new wheels, and I really like my stock wheels.
Me too, I've been at it for three months now so I'm ready to get the car back on the ground again. I have a set of Boss 338s (18x9.5 in the rear and 17x8.5 up front).

Offsets allow for a larger width of wheel and tire as long as they're not so wide as to contact the frame rail...there is a limit to everything. Also, the Vansteel coil over setup requires the use of their offset TAs. They won't prevent you from using your stock wheels.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Ok, got the shock mounts welded up. The key here is to place the bolt in there while welding the braces on the upper shock mounts. Once they cooled down I removed the bolts and hit the hole one more time with the drill to ensure they were clean. Once the shocks were in the mounts I worked the bolt in and then used a ratchet extension to work the bolt into the other side since the shock bushing are in bind at full droop. This approach worked like a charm. Once everything was set in place I torqued everything down.

The last few things that I need will be to set the calipers, bleed them and then set the car down on the lift and tighten the sway bar fasteners...next weekend. I couldn't wait so I put the wheels on to see what they will look like and man they look great. Almost there...
Attached Images     
Old 09-01-2014, 09:09 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Originally Posted by Ranger24
Ok, got the shock mounts welded up. The key here is to place the bolt in there while welding the braces on the upper shock mounts. Once they cooled down I removed the bolts and hit the hole one more time with the drill to ensure they were clean. Once the shocks were in the mounts I worked the bolt in and then used a ratchet extension to work the bolt into the other side since the shock bushing are in bind at full droop. This approach worked like a charm. Once everything was set in place I torqued everything down.

The last few things that I need will be to set the calipers, bleed them and then set the car down on the lift and tighten the sway bar fasteners...next weekend. I couldn't wait so I put the wheels on to see what they will look like and man they look great. Almost there...

Good GOD man. I thought I was looking at Alan 71 car for a second. That is Sweeet
Old 09-01-2014, 09:19 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

Are those Kidney bean mags in front of the car??
Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Ranger24
Pro

Are those Kidney bean mags in front of the car??
One set are the Ansen Sprints that came off the vette. The other wheels in the photo are from my 05 Silverado. I'm selling the Ansens if you're interested.
Old 09-04-2014, 07:40 PM
rajin cajin
Pro

One set are the Ansen Sprints that came off the vette. The other wheels in the photo are from my 05 Silverado. I'm selling the Ansens if you're interested.
What size?? Any pics on the car?
Old 09-06-2014, 07:02 AM
Ranger24
Pro

What size?? Any pics on the car?
16x8 4.5" back space and a 1/2' spacer to clear calipers.
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Ranger24
Pro

I've run into a small problem. While attempting to bleed the brakes today I discovered a pin hole in the cross over. I think this occurred when I tried to remove it and gave up due to a frozen nut. I used a little heat on it and I think that exposed the flaw. Kind of a good thing to discover this now rather than on the road. Now I just need to figure out how to get that damn thing off.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:07 PM
Ranger24
Pro

Little update after a long couple of weekends dealing with that brake line issue. Long story short, I had to replace the entire line from the distribution block back...what a PITFA!!! Anyway, after that things went fairly smoothly and I was able to get her off the lift for the first time in 4 months. Took her for spin to shake it down a little and do some 8s to slosh the diff fluid around a bit.

While I was driving around I realized she was running a bit rough. Just thought it was warming up but when I got back to the house and looked ...this idiot left two plug wires loose, which I undid to get to the positive battery cable.

Some photos of the car on the ground. If you look close you can see the difference in calipers now between the rear powder coated ones vs. the front rusty turds. I plan to drive the car around a little and attend a car show on the 5th down the road from the house and then it will be time to start on the front of the car and coil overs for the front, refresh calipers etc.
Attached Images   

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Vert Lite RestoMod Project

Old 10-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Ranger24
Pro

After a brief break I've decided to continue the restoration/mod project. I spent some time tuning the new rear suspension and breaking in the differential to some extent (still needs some more drive time). During this time I attended a local car show and had the opportunity to see a 69 that was restored in much the same way...wow, that car was amazing so the bar is high.

I put the car back up on the lift and started taking parts off and bagging/tagging items. The next milestone goal is to remove the motor and transmission so after removing the grill I began to remove items that will allow an easy lift. I was able to remove the alternator, and have started to work on the side pipes and headers. Foolish me, I thought those wouldn't be to difficult but it turns out they will be tougher than I thought. The Passenger side doesn't look horrible but the drivers side will be more of a challenge. The clutch rod goes between two of the header pipes so I'll need to remove that and the steering box looks like it might get in the way.

Why remove the motor you may ask...I want unfettered access to the engine compartment. This will allow me to work on the frame, swap the front suspension to match the rear (COs from Vansteel) and get to the wiring harnouses, which have been cut, spliced etc. I thinking about replacing both of them with new OEM. I can also get to the firewall and fender wells to neatly clean those up.

Anyway, hope to have some more pics of the empty front end soon. Here's a shot without her chops and nice little recognition trophy for the best 72 corvette...it was the only one there.
Attached Images   
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 PM
PeteL46
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After a brief break I've decided to continue the restoration/mod project. I spent some time tuning the new rear suspension and breaking in the differential to some extent (still needs some more drive time). During this time I attended a local car show and had the opportunity to see a 69 that was restored in much the same way...wow, that car was amazing so the bar is high.

I put the car back up on the lift and started taking parts off and bagging/tagging items. The next milestone goal is to remove the motor and transmission so after removing the grill I began to remove items that will allow an easy lift. I was able to remove the alternator, and have started to work on the side pipes and headers. Foolish me, I thought those wouldn't be to difficult but it turns out they will be tougher than I thought. The Passenger side doesn't look horrible but the drivers side will be more of a challenge. The clutch rod goes between two of the header pipes so I'll need to remove that and the steering box looks like it might get in the way.

Why remove the motor you may ask...I want unfettered access to the engine compartment. This will allow me to work on the frame, swap the front suspension to match the rear (COs from Vansteel) and get to the wiring harnouses, which have been cut, spliced etc. I thinking about replacing both of them with new OEM. I can also get to the firewall and fender wells to neatly clean those up.

Anyway, hope to have some more pics of the empty front end soon. Here's a shot without her chops and nice little recognition trophy for the best 72 corvette...it was the only one there.

I wanted to be alerted when you start up again.
Old 10-13-2014, 05:40 PM
vstol
Melting Slicks

Received 76 Likes on 74 Posts

Nicely done
Kevin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 72 Vert Lite RestoMod Project