C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 body on later C3 frame

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 01:32 AM
68appeal
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 body on later C3 frame

Need some help locating the frame VIN number

I have a 68 on a later frame so the car is considered constructed.

To finally get this frame off restoration on the road I am obligated to show the DMV the frame VIN.

I was told the frame could be from a 79 or 80 based on the removable exhaust channels.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-08-2014, 07:14 AM
Ibanez540r
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

The frame VIN should be on the top of the rail above the left rear wheel.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

You could be in trouble. A VIN derivative is stamped on the top of the driver's frame rail in two places. The first is about where your left hip would be if you were sitting in the car. You cannot see this stamp with the body on the frame. The second stamp is just in front of #4 body mount. This one may be difficult to see since the body comes down close to the top of the frame.

Neither stamp is a complete VIN, only a derivative, but each will contain the consecutive unit number of the Corvette the frame was originally installed in.

Good luck.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:21 AM
68appeal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
You could be in trouble. A VIN derivative is stamped on the top of the driver's frame rail in two places. The first is about where your left hip would be if you were sitting in the car. You cannot see this stamp with the body on the frame. The second stamp is just in front of #4 body mount. This one may be difficult to see since the body comes down close to the top of the frame.

Neither stamp is a complete VIN, only a derivative, but each will contain the consecutive unit number of the Corvette the frame was originally installed in.

Good luck.
Thanks, this his is a good start, is the number 4 mount the rear passenger side?
Old 06-08-2014, 09:17 PM
68appeal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 68appeal
Thanks, this his is a good start, is the number 4 mount the rear passenger side?
I placed the car on stands and removed both wheels. I removed (Very carefully) the paint off of the top of the frame in the area adjacent to and just in front of both body mounts. I did not see the stamped numbers on either side.

Could it be that the numbers were removed by wire brushing the frame to aggressively or do I need to increase the area where the paint is being removed?

I'd appreciate any further ideas on this - currently I'm stumped!

68appeal
Old 06-08-2014, 09:54 PM
davidchristopher
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

1) I need a bit more background on why the DMV cares what frame is under the car. Care to share the back story?

2) If you had a frame from a later car, there would be BIG differences in where the bumpers attach- the later cars are MUCH different than the 68s and 69-73s

I have a '69 frame here, and I've taken it down to metal and saw no signs of a vin number on any of the rails.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 PM
68appeal
4th Gear

Originally Posted by davidchristopher
1) I need a bit more background on why the DMV cares what frame is under the car. Care to share the back story?

2) If you had a frame from a later car, there would be BIG differences in where the bumpers attach- the later cars are MUCH different than the 68s and 69-73s

I have a '69 frame here, and I've taken it down to metal and saw no signs of a vin number on any of the rails.
A) The body was considered salvage (Due to damage from a infamous windshield motor fire) - no title.

B) The original 68 frame was in very poor condition so another frame was used. Your comments regarding the bumpers are good insights - I'm guessing the frame is nearer to a 70 or 71, but it is still an unknown.

C) I picked up the car from a friend who had already finished the rolling chassis that was rescued from salvage - no title.

D) Registration is taking place in CA, and the CA DMV is strictly a frame state when it comes to "constructed cars". The VIN on the front post is still there and clear, but CA will not consider the use of the front VIN.

Given all of this, I need to either find the frame VIN or find another legal avenue to get the car registered.

Thanks for your input.

Get notified of new replies

To 68 body on later C3 frame

Quick Reply: 68 body on later C3 frame