C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling transmission how hard with engine removed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:57 AM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Pulling transmission how hard with engine removed?

Doing an engine swap for my 81 - Blueprint motor and yes, pics will be posted upon completion. I pulled the old engine out today. Now that I have it out I am wondering if I should pull the transmission out and have it rebuilt.

My original plan was to install the new engine and then drive the car over to the transmission shop and have them pull and rebuild. Wondering how much more labor it takes to just pull it myself and take the tranny over to the shop now. I assume I will save a whole bunch in labor if I remove and replace myself.

I have done several engine swaps over the years but have NEVER messed with an auto tranny. To give you an idea of my abilities...If my dog is a 1 and a professional mechanic is a 10, I put my skills at a 7. I have lousy garage space but professional grade tools...just not a vehicle lift. This is a jack stand or ramps job.

So in a nutshell....

Can I pull this in the driveway with a floor jack and a buddy?
Compared to pulling the engine how hard is this job?
Estimate of time to pull it?
Once professionally rebuilt how hard is it to get it dialed in? I assume I have to do something with the linkage to get it working correctly?
Other than a trans jack (which I have) any special tool I will need to get it out?

Sorry for the amateur hour questions but starting to question my original plan of having the shop do the tranny pull and install.

1981 TH350C

Thanks guys!
Old 06-09-2014, 02:43 AM
harris1507
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you have a trans jack, you can do the job by yourself, maybe an 1/2 hour to get out at the most. and yes it would be much cheaper on the labor cost. Plus you can detail the car underneath, and replace trans insulation.

Trans lines
trans mount
trans shifting cable
drive shaft.

Intall the engine and trans put together you will save yourself alot of time and work. Keep us posted and take pictures, We like pictures.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:27 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by mrscott25
Doing an engine swap for my 81 - Blueprint motor and yes, pics will be posted upon completion. I pulled the old engine out today. Now that I have it out I am wondering if I should pull the transmission out and have it rebuilt. Absolutely...why add extra time to the build.

My original plan was to install the new engine and then drive the car over to the transmission shop and have them pull and rebuild. Wondering how much more labor it takes to just pull it myself and take the tranny over to the shop now. I assume I will save a whole bunch in labor if I remove and replace myself. Double harris1507's time....he has lots of experience/take pics to make re-installation simpler.

I have done several engine swaps over the years but have NEVER messed with an auto tranny. There are quality specific model transmission rebuild books out there for about $30....which saved me $500, as I rebuilt my 700R4 myself in a two-day learning process. To give you an idea of my abilities...If my dog is a 1 and a professional mechanic is a 10, I put my skills at a 7. I have lousy garage space but professional grade tools...just not a vehicle lift. This is a jack stand or ramps job. You qualify to rebuild it yourself!

So in a nutshell....

Can I pull this in the driveway with a floor jack and a buddy? An ATV jack would be 1,000% safer....but a buddy & a floorjack will be O.K.
Compared to pulling the engine how hard is this job? #3 out of a possible 10 !
Estimate of time to pull it? Experienced = 30 minutes/Rookie (like me) 1 hour to prevent broken fingers!
Once professionally rebuilt how hard is it to get it dialed in? Not difficult/#3 I assume I have to do something with the linkage to get it working correctly? Maybe not/if so, just minor cable adjustment or linkage adjustment
Other than a trans jack (which I have) any special tool I will need to get it out? Just place a square piece of 1/2" thick plywood larger than the pan between the jack and the bottom of the pan to prevent bending/warpng of the pan which would cause fluid leaks later (don't ask how I know...LOL)

Sorry for the amateur hour questions but starting to question my original plan of having the shop do the tranny pull and install. You can do-it! But if you have no other use for the $$$$$....then let a qualified shop do-it.

1981 TH350C

Thanks guys!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Brass Pass
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just pulled the TH400 out of my car while it was on jack stands. You already have the exhaust pipes unhooked from the exhaust manifolds, so just push the removable cross member back as far as it will go for room.

I'd also make sure you have a floor jack supporting the trans at all times. I have a trans holder that I can put on my floor jack, but I didn't have the clearance to use it. I just used some plywood cobbled together to make a slim cradle for the trans while it was on the floor jack.

Once you have all of the lines and drive shaft unhooked it should slip out easily. I'm a pretty slow mechanic and I'd say it took me an hour to get everything unhooked and transmission out.

You're going to save a worthwhile amount of money by taking the trans in for the rebuild when it's not in the car. Putting the trans back in will be a breeze with it attached to the motor.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 PM
mrscott25
Melting Slicks

Received 31 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys! Did the deed this afternoon. Now that it is done, I feel foolish for even having to ask. Simple job. Took about 45 minutes.

Tranny is now at the shop getting rebuilt.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:47 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Originally Posted by mrscott25
Thanks guys! Did the deed this afternoon. Now that it is done, I feel foolish for even having to ask. Simple job. Took about 45 minutes.

Tranny is now at the shop getting rebuilt.
"We don't need no stinking help!"

Don't you feel much better now?

what are ya' gonna' do with all the extra $change$.....buy some shiny stuff or some black rubbery stuff

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling transmission how hard with engine removed?

Quick Reply: Pulling transmission how hard with engine removed?