C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think my butterfly is stuck open - pic

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 PM
cdsinfla
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my choke is stuck open - pic

So, I just got a 73 with the standard 350 engine the other day. Yesterday it started idling rough and actually quit on me twice.
It would crank then immediately die. Would not run again until I let it sit for about 10 minutes.
It had (guessing) old fuel in it so I siphoned that out and added fresh. The guy that had it before me only drove 4,000 miles in 10 years (83k on the car)
I also changed the spark plugs and ignition wires today. Driving down the road it seems to be OK.
At idle, the gauge shows the engine bouncing between 500-700RPM and the engine sounds rough & it occasionally dies.
One thing I noticed is the butterfly on the carb never closes. Could that be the cause?
None of the rods that are holding it open will move.
I have no idea if it was stuck open when it was running ok.
How can I release it?

I just did a vacuum test (hopefully I connected it the right spot). The needle was fairly stable at 14 & went to zero then higher when I revved it, then back to 14. I believe that is correct and shows I have no vacuum leak.

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Images   

Last edited by cdsinfla; 06-17-2014 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:59 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Most like Chris you're looking at a carb rebuild or at least a good cleaning. A second option would be a new carb as they are pretty cheap nowadays. The butterfly's you are referring too I think ......is the choke flap. That only needs to be closed on a cold engine and then opened after warmed up.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 PM
cdsinfla
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hugie82
Most like Chris you're looking at a carb rebuild or at least a good cleaning. A second option would be a new carb as they are pretty cheap nowadays. The butterfly's you are referring too I think ......is the choke flap. That only needs to be closed on a cold engine and then opened after warmed up.
You are right...I should have said choke. Changed the post title.
Would it all of a sudden run like crap? It ran much better when I bought it & I am thinking I may have knocked something loose.
Is 14 enough vacuum?

Thanks

Last edited by cdsinfla; 06-17-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:03 PM
ctuinstra
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like it's a manual choke setup. It's not going to close until you manually close it to start the engine.

First and foremost, if this car sat a lot, you need to get the carb rebuilt. I did mine just to be sure and I found more problems and issues with it then I would have ever guessed. It run so much better now. Lars is a good option if you don't want to mess with rebuilding it.

The vacuum line in the pic, the one in the front of the carb, is that hooked to your gauge or your distributor?

14 is not bad depending on the build. Adjusting the idle mixture after the carb it rebuild might give you a bit more.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:38 AM
cdsinfla
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ctuinstra
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like it's a manual choke setup. It's not going to close until you manually close it to start the engine.

First and foremost, if this car sat a lot, you need to get the carb rebuilt. I did mine just to be sure and I found more problems and issues with it then I would have ever guessed. It run so much better now. Lars is a good option if you don't want to mess with rebuilding it.

The vacuum line in the pic, the one in the front of the carb, is that hooked to your gauge or your distributor?

14 is not bad depending on the build. Adjusting the idle mixture after the carb it rebuild might give you a bit more.
Sorry such a noob but I just started tinkering with engines last year when I got a 72 VW Bug (another carb that probably needs rebuilding).
How would I "manually close" the choke? Is there a hidden switch in the car I haven't found? I would think it would be closed when the engine was cold but it never moves.

I see the rebuild kit & that's probably more than I want to handle. I found out my intake manifold is an Edelbrock but the carb looks stock. I just want a daily driver & not a hot rod. Looks like I can get a rebuilt one for $250. What's a ballpark for Lars to rebuild? What do you guys recommend?

The vacuum line in the pic goes to the distributor. The other line with the yellow arrow is where I connected my gauge. I did some more research on using a vacuum gauge and another test run and it looked good.
Great info ->http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/186.cfm

So after rechecking all the ignition wires, distributor and looking for other obvious issues it seemed to be running better than yesterday. I took it out for a spin and it ran fairly good until it heated up for about 10-15 minutes. It then turned to crap again. I even notice it driving now as well as idling. It's like it starts to miss. When I slow to a stop it chokes and wants to die until I throw it in neutral. Once the load is off, it idles up to around 900RPM but still sputters a bit. My VW did this exact same thing & I found a wire from my ignition coil to the choke was no good. As soon as the VW engine would heat up, it would cough, sputter and die. Once I fixed that, it ran like a top. This lead me to believe it had something to do with my choke being stuck in the vette.
Good thing I like to tinker

Chris

Last edited by cdsinfla; 06-18-2014 at 01:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:07 AM
c69vete
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2021 C3 of the Year - Modified
2017 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I think all 73s came with Quadrajet carbs, so not only has the intake, but carb changed as well.
I can't help much with what you have going on except to get it tuned to stock specs as a starting point. Also check to make sure that the heat riser flap is opening correctly. ( right side exhaust between the manifold and pipe)
Also if you have not done it, there are some great reference books out there that you should consider.
You will want/need the AIM ( assembly manual), and the dealer service manuals are also reccomended. Haynes manuals are not the greatest help.
Welcome to the madness.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:35 AM
David Mc
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You can see the welding rod holding the choke open. Without changing the choke to a heat (or electric) there is no easy way to make that manual choke function. It really has nothing to do with your symptoms.

The first thing I would do is check ignition timing. I would verify that the vacuum and mechanical advance mechanisms are working. I'd verify no vacuum leaks. Holley carbs do not always fit manifolds designed for spread bores.

I'd check fuel pressure and then I'd buy a can of carb cleaner and make sure the idle air bleeds are clear.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:55 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Your choke is a manual choke, and it has been locked open with a piece of wire - it is completely non-functional. The open choke has nothing to do with your symptoms, however: It may cause some cold-start issues and difficulty maintaining idle when dead cold, but it will have no effect on operations once the engine has warmed up.

Suggest you check timing, total timing, and vacuum advance systems first: Make sure total timing is at 36, and that you have a resultant initial timing in the high-teen range. Make sure vacuum advance is operational and correctly hooked up - you have it hooked up to ported vacuum, which will not produce best idle characteristics - I suggest you fix that. Once done, make sure it's firing on all 8 and then verify carb setup - never do any carb work until all ignition and timing issues have been verified. 14 inches of vacuum at idle suggests that the engine may have a bit of an aftermarket cam in it, so you need to make sure you have at least 18 degrees of initial timing in it and that the vacuum advance control unit is a B26 or softer unit (you can't use a stock vacuum advance with 14 inches of vacuum). The aftermarket cam may also require some special carb tuning, and it's critical that you balance out the primary and secondary idle speeds to assure that the primary throttle blades are not exposing any more than .020" of transition slot in the throttle bores. With this setting, verify float levels and set idle mixtures correctly, and it will run well.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 06-18-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:58 AM
cdsinfla
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by c69vete
I will be corrected if I am wrong, but I think all 73s came with Quadrajet carbs, so not only has the intake, but carb changed as well.
You were not wrong.....more like dead on. It is a Holley. I found 3310-11 stamped on the air horn which I believe makes it a model 4160.
Thanks

Last edited by cdsinfla; 06-18-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM
cdsinfla
Heel & Toe

Lars,
I owe you a beer!
I tested the 2 vacuum ports. one only read above zero when I gave it throttle. The other was the constant 14. I now have the distributor connected to the constant port and it idles SO much better. Is the port in the pic below the one you recommended?
I drove it around for about 20 minutes and it did not run rough at all.
Could that have been the problem the whole time?
After the engine warms up, would that cause it to run like crap?

I am a bit of a computer nerd for a living & spend a lot of time on forums. I gotta say...this forum is great & everyone seems very helpful.

I have a timing light and I was looking for the notch on the harmonic balancer last night. It has no degree marks that I can see. I do see the arrow & a line on the flywheel but not sure if that's TDC - if that's it it should have been marked better. Next job is to find cylinder #1, pull the plug and verify.
Attached Images  
Old 06-18-2014, 02:00 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cdsinfla
Lars,
I owe you a beer!
I tested the 2 vacuum ports. one only read above zero when I gave it throttle. The other was the constant 14. I now have the distributor connected to the constant port and it idles SO much better. Is the port in the pic below the one you recommended?
I drove it around for about 20 minutes and it did not run rough at all.
Could that have been the problem the whole time?
After the engine warms up, would that cause it to run like crap?

I am a bit of a computer nerd for a living & spend a lot of time on forums. I gotta say...this forum is great & everyone seems very helpful.

I have a timing light and I was looking for the notch on the harmonic balancer last night. It has no degree marks that I can see. I do see the arrow & a line on the flywheel but not sure if that's TDC - if that's it it should have been marked better. Next job is to find cylinder #1, pull the plug and verify.
Cylinder #1 is on driver side. The mark on the harmonic balancer will do you no good unless you have the degree marks that should be connected to the timing cover...
Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

You now have the vacuum line correctly connected.
The harmonic balancer only has a line on it, after cleaning the spot where the line is take some white paint dab it on the line and wipe off the excess.
There should be a tab with lines and numbers attached to the timing cover, see the picture in the link.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chev...to-178514.html

Get notified of new replies

To I think my butterfly is stuck open - pic

Quick Reply: I think my butterfly is stuck open - pic