C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power sterring reservoir leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:41 PM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power sterring reservoir leak?

I'm working through the issues of a long stored car (1971 with base 350 - no A/C). The power steering pump was very low when I found the car, after adding fluid it functioned fine but leaked (obviously). I ordered a rebuild kit hoping for the common O-ring failure, but found metal in the reservoir, so I decided to get a rebuilt unit. The part store replacement came with the newer style reservoir, and was clocked incorrectly. So, I put the store bought pump, in my old reservoir and re-installed.... Still have a leak... I think I have eliminated the possibility that the hoses are leaking. I have cleaned off the pump w brake clean multiple times and the fluid appears to be coming from high on the reservoir, but not the pump side.

Long story short, I think the reservoir itself is leaking, possibly from where the neck mates to the main pump body. Is this common? Am I missing something?

Would you guys recommend a particular outlet to get a new pump with the correct reservoir? I would really like to avoid the hassle of r&r ing this thing again!
Old 06-19-2014, 09:40 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default I just replaced my 68's last week....

I got a rebuilt unit from Autozone. I had to replace one stud on it because it was just a bolt ....other than that it looked the same and doesn't leak.

Mine was leaking at the body - pump interface....I considered buying a rebuild kit since they're under 15 bucks, but I figured it was easier to just buy it rebuilt with a lifetime warranty and not make a mess. Since this last guy lasted 20+ years I figure it was worth the cost.

FYI: It took 2 days to get it in at Autozone.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am currently having the same problem, except I think mine is coming out of the top like the cap seal is bad. Have you checked that?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:55 AM
subtlez28
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartanyon
I am currently having the same problem, except I think mine is coming out of the top like the cap seal is bad. Have you checked that?
Mine leaks while sitting still. I cleaned it and did not run it after.

I have ordered another pump/reservoir from Rock Auto. Lets hope the reservoir is right (like it was in the pic).
Old 06-20-2014, 11:09 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Mine was also leaking while standing still....

Tried tightening everything associated with it.....but still leaked....so:

I removed it from the car, sealed off the penetrations, pressurized it with air.....and I could see that it was weeping at the pump body to reservoir interface.

Ordered a lifetime warranty pump from autozone (so I can look at it before I pay for it) then went and picked it up. Transferred the one stud that was only a bolt on the new one. Then returned the old one for my 18 buck core charge.

Get notified of new replies

To Power sterring reservoir leak?

Quick Reply: Power sterring reservoir leak?