C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a few wires 70

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 10:01 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Need help with a few wires 70

Here is the first wire. This is on the main harness that crosses the fire wall. Coming out of the harness near where the TCS relay wires come out. Pretty sure that the male end of the cloth sheathed wire goes into the female pink/black wire here, but I cant find any mention of either on my wire diagram. It sits right in the bottom of the indentation for the wiper motor. My question is do these two go together for sure, and what do they supply?

The second is in the same area. I was rewrapping the wires in the main harness, and I found this wire in there. It looks like it was cut off clean. I can't find this wire on the diagram either. It's another one of the cloth sheathed wires. Any ideas?

Old 06-20-2014, 10:46 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Do yourself a BIG favor.......do NOT wrap any of the wires into bundles yet. Zip-tie them away from hot things....then make sure ALL components work perfectly/maybe even drive the car before you "officially" wrap the wires to resemble the original harnesses.

Don't ask how many times I had to cut into my newly wrapped bundles because of shorts or bypassed switches/relays/gauges/etc!

As for the two wires in question---one wire with a heavy sheath/foil insulation/etc could be the 12V resistor wire for the coil...just be careful---wire insulation fades over decades, and could cause you to think that pink insulated wire originally was PINK insulated wire...Tan wire could have been Brown insulated wire years ago......trust me--been there/"fried that"!

Sorry that I couldn't help more with the UFO wires.

How'd I do-on the sar-chasm?

Last edited by doorgunner; 06-20-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Here ya' go: Click on the link below for REAL help!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-g...or-anyone.html
Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 PM
Crafty12
Pro

I appreciate the input. I already have that pdf wire diagram along with the big laminated one from Lectric Limited (and the AIM). I don't see a black/pink wire in this area, and I don't know what to look for if the wire has the fabric sheath.

Also I took the engine out of this car back in April. When I did that I labeled every single wire or hose that I took loose. I'm concerned that maybe a PO disconnected something.

Anyone have a pic of their wire harness running across the firewall? Car is a May 20th of 70 build.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Crafty12
Pro

Bump to the top. I forgot to mention that this is an LT-1. I found here on the TI ignition page that there is a pink wire that hooks into the engine harness and runs to the starter solenoid. I tracked this insulated wire back and it indeed is one of my labeled wires for the starter. Now my question is should I plug it back in? My TI distributor is gone, but the amp is still there.

The second pic of the cut wire is still a mystery. It was inside of the harness wrap, so it wasn't connected to anything before and there was no issue. If nobody has a better idea I may just tape up the end, and wrap it back up where it was.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with a few wires 70

Quick Reply: Need help with a few wires 70