C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 Vette

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 PM
raymondtormey
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '69 Vette

Just got a '69 Vette from the inlaws, it has been sitting outside under a cover for the past 3 1/2 years. They paid to get it "running and no more". Now I get to work on it trying to get it running well. After putting on around 100 miles, the engine started to pulse on the highway, as if I was stepping on the gas, letting off the gas stepping in the gas.... Etc. I know the fuel filter was just replaced, but not sure where to start... Fuel filter, carb orator adjustment, new wires and plugs... Any help?
Old 06-25-2014, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by raymondtormey
Just got a '69 Vette from the inlaws, it has been sitting outside under a cover for the past 3 1/2 years. They paid to get it "running and no more". Now I get to work on it trying to get it running well. After putting on around 100 miles, the engine started to pulse on the highway, as if I was stepping on the gas, letting off the gas stepping in the gas.... Etc. I know the fuel filter was just replaced, but not sure where to start... Fuel filter, carb orator adjustment, new wires and plugs... Any help?
Even though it was replaced...if you look into the fuel tank and it is all rusty...do not be surprised that the filter is plugged up with rust.

Possible vacuum leak, timing issue, pints and all you listed above. Fuel pump possibly failing.

This is common when a car sits for a long time and then is put on the road. many things can pop up.

DUB
Old 06-25-2014, 08:14 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

When was the carb last rebuilt?
Old 07-08-2014, 04:42 PM
raymondtormey
Heel & Toe

The carburetor was rebuilt as part of the "getting it running" service that was done. As well as installing a new mechanical fuel pump.
The other day, the car was doing the same thing and eventually died on me after only about 20 min of driving. A car enthusiast that was passing by stopped and helped me out, because there was no gas going into the carburetor, he said it was vapor lock. After waiting for 25 min it started and I drove home.
What is disturbing is that I was only driving around the neighborhood for about 20 min. Not sure if that is an indication of a radiator problem or not.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,244 Likes on 965 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Another suggestion

There is an "S" shaped fuel hose at the fuel pump, if a standard hose is used it may kink.
Take a look down there since the fuel pump was changed that could be the problem.

Last edited by Peterbuilt; 07-08-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 05:24 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Another possibility, look in the fuel tank with a flashlight to see if the cloth bag that screens the outlet has disintegrated. If it has, that could pass large pieces of crud which will temporarily obstruct fuel flow at the filter. Happened to me!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

So somebody was driving it regularly before it sat for 31/2 years ?
What does the fuel line going from the carb to the fuel pump look like, is it original. Gas can gel up after sitting a long time. even though you have replaced the filter and rebuilt the carb, you still have old gas going from the tank to the carb. So your best bet is to drop the tank and clean it out. Next like another has said, make sure the hose is not kinked.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:41 PM
raymondtormey
Heel & Toe

Thanks for all of the help guys. I appriciate it.
There was an inline fuel filter added (I assume that the 69 didn't originally come with an inline filter correct?) I took that off, and let the gas drip into a bucket... it was so rusty it looked like chocolate milk. I think that is my problem... I have an appointment with a corvette only shop this weekend... not happy about how much they will charge me, but I don't feel comfortable dealing with the gas tank.
Thanks again for the help. Will post an update on what they suggest and how much $$$ they take from me...
Old 07-09-2014, 01:51 PM
raymondtormey
Heel & Toe

Here are a couple of pics... Pic of the car and the fuel pulled out... if I attached the pics correctly... first time.
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2014, 02:00 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Beautiful vette, really love the color. You wouldnt think that nice looking of a car would give you such a hard time running, but that's what happens when they sit. Either the gas is bad from sitting or the tank is rotting on the inside from sitting. Condensation starts building up and rusts the tank on the inside.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Great looking '69! Yes, there was an external in-line fuel filter in 1969. It should also have a return line attached to it.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:02 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a couple of pics... Pic of the car and the fuel pulled out... if I attached the pics correctly... first time.
Not sure where the fuel was pulled from but if that was from the fuel filter it is time to remove the fuel from the tank and inspect it.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:55 AM
Z06Fiend
Instructor

Beautiful '69!! Good luck with the tank and fuel issues!

Get notified of new replies

To '69 Vette

Quick Reply: '69 Vette