C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering Box leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 09:48 PM
yyz1970
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Steering Box leaking

My steering Box is leaking on my '72 at the top threaded area near the rag joint
has anyone done this repair that can give me some tips?

I would like to check the fluid level and drive it this summer and repair it during the crappy weather. where can I top up the oil? or check the level?
is there a rebuild kit?

Thanks for your help,
Barry
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

There's a seal where the shaft comes through at the top.

I've done the box and it's not too bad of a job (although the bushing I got were the wrong size and I had to re-machine all of them but that's another story) as long as the internals are worn or pitted.

I've got to think if it's possible to pull that end off and replace the seal alone without screwing up the adjustment too bad. I'll have to look as some pics.
HIH
M
Old 06-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,138 Likes on 2,069 Posts

Oh, forgot, the box should be full (well not full but...) of grease, basically you pull two of the three bolts holding the lid on the top (with the lash adjustment screw) and fill through one of the bolt holes.

Chances are the grease in there has broken down and what's left is solvent and a huge wad of carrier gunk in the rest of the box but for now you can add new (onto of old) and get to next winter (hope it's not like the last one)

GTR1999 over on the "other site" has a ton of info on rebuilding boxes and what to look for. If you pull the end "nut" to replace the seal now you will need to at least rough set the endplay on the rack (read indicator etc)

If your not wanting to get in too deep, you could try pulling the two bolts, without loosing anything, suck as much of the "fluid" out (syringe with a tube? don't drop it in) and pack in some new grease. Might get you through the summer and other than time your out nothing. Pulling the box apart is "right" answer for next winter.

M

Last edited by Mooser; 06-26-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Rally68
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom cover bolt in this picture is used to check and fill the grease level:

Mooser is likely right about the grease separating in there. One thing that I read that made sense (if you're not going to rebuild it) is to make a slurry by mixing oil & grease and filling the box with that. Take your time, get it full, then suction out a little bit to leave room for it to expand when it gets hot. I believe all three of the threaded holes go through into the case, so removing a second bolt as Mooser suggests will help let air out as you fill with grease
Old 06-27-2014, 09:25 PM
yyz1970
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks Mooser and Rally68
I would like to drive it and repair it later
seeing the puddle on the frame worried me a bit

Have a Great Summer!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering Box leaking

Quick Reply: Steering Box leaking