C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Measurement for Holley Carb and L88 style drop Base...

Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Measurement for Holley Carb and L88 style drop Base...

I am trying to see if I can get rid of the hood scoop that is on my BB with the current intake.
What i need is a measurement of a Holley DP with 2" drop base style air cleaner from the carb base plate to the top of the element. The current set up I have is a Eddy with 3/4" drop and it is 3/4" above the hood currently with a 2" element.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:45 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Edelbrock, Holley, Q-jet, they're all pretty much the same height. Remember that you need a certain amount of clearance between the bowl vents and the top of the air cleaner. 3/4" or so. For instance, a 2" dropped base air cleaner with a 2" element is not going to work.

See how much clearance there is between the top of the carb and the hood. You'll need at least an inch and a half to squeeze an air cleaner in there.

Scott
Old 06-29-2014, 11:33 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 518 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by 68Thunder427
I am trying to see if I can get rid of the hood scoop that is on my BB with the current intake.
What i need is a measurement of a Holley DP with 2" drop base style air cleaner from the carb base plate to the top of the element. The current set up I have is a Eddy with 3/4" drop and it is 3/4" above the hood currently with a 2" element.
With this unit I measure the following.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/pro-141-692

claims a 1.5" drop but I measure 1 3/8" but the important part it measures 3" from the top of the carb / base air cleaner to the highest part of the air cleaner, this is using a 3" air filter.

The other measurement that would be useful is the current top of you air element from the drain rails on the fenders left and right side. My stock L48 measure 56mm ( 2 1/4") with 1" to under side of the stock hood. The carb measures approx ( 3 1/4") without gastket.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:19 AM
68Thunder427
Pro

I guess a better question is what intake make / model would i need to get for a 4 barrel and air cleaner to fit under a factory BB hood?
Old 06-30-2014, 01:13 AM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The stock components barely squeeze in under the stock hood, add a taller aftermarket intake, and you've got your work cut out. There must be some forum members sporting big blocks with aftermarket intakes, so be patient, and I'm sure someone will clue you in to the hot setup.

Scott
Old 06-30-2014, 04:26 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Originally Posted by scottyp99
The stock components barely squeeze in under the stock hood, add a taller aftermarket intake, and you've got your work cut out. There must be some forum members sporting big blocks with aftermarket intakes, so be patient, and I'm sure someone will clue you in to the hot setup.

Scott
I hope so because I researched it a lot and the old torker II isn't made anymore and hard to find and a company that did make LS6 repro intakes isn't in business anymore so hopefully someone will chime in with a doable solution.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:01 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't recall any aftermarket intakes for the BB that fit under the standard low-rise hood, but the factory LS6 aluminim intake is a bolt on that should solve the problem. That said, if you have oval port heads you'll need to epoxy the runners down to size so you can match them, as seen here from another CFer's BB...

Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 PM
68Thunder427
Pro

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
I don't recall any aftermarket intakes for the BB that fit under the standard low-rise hood, but the factory LS6 aluminim intake is a bolt on that should solve the problem. That said, if you have oval port heads you'll need to epoxy the runners down to size so you can match them, as seen here from another CFer's BB...

My current heads are rectangular so that makes it even more fun to find one even though. I know I can run a large oval if need be on rect port head.

Get notified of new replies

To Measurement for Holley Carb and L88 style drop Base...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Measurement for Holley Carb and L88 style drop Base...