C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS vs New Gears

Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM
sagebrush rebel
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default NOS vs New Gears

I have a chance to buy 2 sets of NOS gears (3.36 and 3.70). Are these gears as good as quality or not compared to the gears manufactured today. Thanks Don
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 PM
sagebrush rebel
Instructor

Default Gears

Anybody have any thoughts
Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Without know their origin/brand, it would be hard to form an opinion.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:29 PM
sagebrush rebel
Instructor

Default Gears

I am sorry not to state they are oringinal GM gears made for a 65 corvette so the seller says. Thanks Don
Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 PM
AzMotorhead
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 97 Likes on 68 Posts

My .02 Aftermarket gears would be just as good (read not any better or worse) than a set of NOS gears.
Just like if someone had a set of NOS wheel bearings. They are all made to the same spec, and nobody will know any difference once they are installed.
Not worth any more $ either.
My .02 FWIW
Old 07-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Patro46
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AzMotorhead
My .02 Aftermarket gears would be just as good (read not any better or worse) than a set of NOS gears.
Just like if someone had a set of NOS wheel bearings. They are all made to the same spec, and nobody will know any difference once they are installed.
Not worth any more $ either.
My .02 FWIW
This depends are WHERE they were made. If the country of origin that creates the gears happens to be China or similar, I'd stay with good old American steel. If they are made in America, odds I'd guess are pretty good that technology has improved our metals over the last 40 years, as long as some suit and tie in accounting hasn't decided to trim their bottom line by cutting corners in all kinds of areas. This new young breed is all about the bottom line, putting things like quality control 2nd to the finished product. These are the ones that are actually educated. I'm not talking about the masses of IQ resilient sheeples, dumbed-down bottom feeding Americans waiting for their next government handout. Man...got carried away with THAT one. I'll go back to my closet now...
Old 07-14-2014, 03:39 AM
Haggisbash
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 198 Posts

At least you know the parentage of the NOS gears! That being said if a reputable brand of new gears is really poor I'm sure we would have heard about it. The most common issue with gears is when they skimp on the hardening and you only find out when the miles have clocked up a bit. Worst ones I've seen so far came out of Lada car gear boxes and Ural motorcycles.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:26 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,054 Posts

In all the Vette rear ends I every looked at the gears were not the failing part.

It is the yokes and posi units that failed

Last edited by gkull; 07-14-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:22 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you know that the NOS gears were made by GM several decades ago, I would not hesitate to tell you that those gears are WITHOUT DOUBT as good, and most likely BETTER, than anything readily available in the aftermarket, today. Everyone complains about the lack of quality in the 1970's. But, that is for vehicle ASSEMBLY quality...not really a concern with part quality.

Quality of materials and heat treatment processes for ring/pinion gears (and other load-bearing gear sets) was very well controlled when the manufacturing processes were performed by the GM Divisions. Today, GM has NO manufacturing facilities, and part quality is totally dependent on the supplying vendors.

Get notified of new replies

To NOS vs New Gears

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOS vs New Gears