C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

70 LT-1 with power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 08:43 AM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 LT-1 with power steering?

Can anyone confirm if the 70 LT-1 was available with power steering. Does anyone have one with power steering? I have been told it was not available and I would like to get the forums input. Mine does not have that option but the only options on my car are the radio and rear window defogger.
Thanks for the info.
Dean
Old 07-25-2002, 09:11 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Default Re: 70 LT-1 with power steering? (70 LT-1 Convert)

According to my book 70 LT1 cars could not be ordered with power steering. 71 and 72 LT1 cars could be had with power steering. My 72 has power steering. Maybe someone with a 70 could confirm this.
Old 07-25-2002, 09:16 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

My understanding was that late 1970 LT1's could be had with power steering. When the LT1 came out in '70 it had a six qt oil pan. This pan interfered with the P/S. Thus P/S was not available. Guess there was more demand for P/S on the LT1 then they thought so later in the year they changed back to the 5 qt oil pan and P/S became available. So you should not see an early LT1 with PS but you may on later ones.

tom...
Old 07-25-2002, 10:24 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: 70 LT-1 with power steering?

Tom's reply is correct...

Early in 1970 model year production, LT-1 engines used a large, six quart oil pan and had a broadcast code of "CTU." The oil pan sump extended far enough forward that it interfered with the power steering equipment and as such, could not be installed.

Beginning in late April/early May 1970, the oil pan was redesigned with a smaller sump to accomodate power steering (the change also had the effect of lowering capacity as well). These 1970 LT-1 engines with the redesigned oil pan carried the broadcast code "CTK" and were used in all 1970 LT-1/power steering applications.

"CTU" engines continued to be used in non power steering applications in 1970 until the inventory was depleted; after that, "CTK" engines were used in either instance. The smaller pan was used in all 1971-1972 LT-1 applications.

All 1970 ZR-1 engines ("CTV") used the larger oil pan from the early 1970 LT-1... I'm afraid that I don't recall which pan the 1971-1972 ZR-1s used.

Regards,
Old 07-25-2002, 02:41 PM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Thanks for the reply.
There are some smart folks here. Any of you guys NCRS judges? I was thinking of joining the NCRS and working towards class judging. Sounds like fun. :cheers:
Old 07-26-2002, 02:39 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: 70 LT-1 with power steering?

I can think of quite a few people who post to this forum that are NCRS or Bloomington Gold judges (or both in some cases).

The NCRS is certainly a worthwhile organization to join, especially if your interest leans more to the "stock" side of the hobby. There is a great deal of information that has been collected over the years and you'll get an opportunity to talk to a lot of knowledgeable people. Judging IS fun. Having a car judged IS fun too. All you need is the attitude that you're in it to learn, because I can guarantee you that something new is always turning up. Joining is inexpensive (in the whole scheme of Corvette ownership anyway) and the two publications, Corvette Restorer and Driveline, are more than worth the membership fee... Give it a try for a year or two and see what you think.

I gather that you are out in the Philadelphia, PA area? If so, there is an NCRS Chapter meet that is held in Bakertown, PA every October... Not too far away if I recall correctly. If you get the chance you might want to check it out... It will give you a chance to meet some of the members and you'll get to look at some neat cars too!

Regards,
Old 07-26-2002, 09:06 AM
70 LT-1 Convert
Advanced

Default Re: 70 LT-1 with power steering? (Rowdy Rat)

Thanks Stan,
I think I will join. I much prefer the stock vettes and I am very interested in the bumber cars. To be honest, I'm not ready to have my car judged, I'm thinking that if I work towards an NCRS cert. I will not want to drive the car as much, and I do enjoy the ride. If I can talk my accountant, wife, into a driver that would change things.
Thanks again,
Dean

Get notified of new replies

To 70 LT-1 with power steering?

Quick Reply: 70 LT-1 with power steering?