C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Specific wiring connector question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:12 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15, '17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Specific wiring connector question?

As I said in another thread that has dropped off the bottom, I have a '70 BB 4 spd, AC car that has electrical problems. I am in the process of replacing the engine wiring harness, and have a new harness from Lectric Limited.

On the wiring harness, and the wiring diagram, it shows a connection of a double black wire, and an orange wire making a connection to the blower motor, that appears to be under the passenger side fender. On my car, I see a double black wire, and an orange wire going there, and connecting, however, when I unwound the electrical tape, the orange wire has been clipped, and buried in the electrical tape. How does the orange wire connect there? I don't see a place for it. I can provide pictures if needed.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:43 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

OK, now I think I see where it all went awry. I have been finding wires clipped, and bad splices etc all over the car, and I now think I have gotten to the bottom of it.

I found where the orange wire is supposed to connect. The problem is that some boogered up purple wire is connected there. This was curious, until I pulled out the new AC harness from Lectric Limited. As it turns out, it has two connections for the blower motor, a pigtailed pair of black wires, obviously intended for the same connection as the pigtailed black wires on the engine harness, and a purple wire connected to where the orange wire is obviously supposed to go.

So, the real question is, is the orange wire, or the purple wire supposed to be connected to my blower motor? What should be done with the one that does not connect there?

Any help is appreciated!
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Orange wire is usually the power for your high speed for the fan...due to being a 12 gauge wire....and connects to your horn relay...and has a provision in it for a 30 AMP glass style fuse.

Normally the purple wire (12 gauge) is what gets attached to the blower motor....and this wire should come from the blower relay...if my memory serves me correctly.

In your era...the factory harness was made for a NON -AC car. because AC was n option. SO...if you replaced every harness in the car. some areas of the factory harness for a NON-AC car would be taped off and the actual AC harness would integrated into it.

Your new AC harness should go through the firewall with its own grommet right behind the passenger valve cover area...correct??? Well...a NON-AC car does not have that. SO...the power from your AC control in your console will go to your blower relay and blower motor.

If you do not have a wiring diagram...I would get one.

DUB
Old 07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

Get an AIM for your car. In the Options section the A/C instructions describe how the orange wire that normally goes to the blower is cut and taped, as DUB explained.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Derrick Reynolds
Team Owner

I have an AIM, and wiring diagrams. However, I didn't see that page until I went looking for it after reading these posts. I see now that I don't use the orange wire, and use the purple instead, so I think I am back on track.

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by PKguitar
I have an AIM, and wiring diagrams. However, I didn't see that page until I went looking for it after reading these posts. I see now that I don't use the orange wire, and use the purple instead, so I think I am back on track.

Thanks for the help!
Let us know you got it repaired and working.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Specific wiring connector question?

Quick Reply: Specific wiring connector question?