C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement???

Old 07-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement???

As you all know I am considering doing my rear wheel bearings, or having them done by one of the vendors. If I were to do this myself, which tools would I need? I am assuming the bearing setup tool, because that allows me to get my shims set up without pressing the bearings on and pulling them off a hundred times, correct? And I was thinking I would need the thing to screw on the threads of the spindle so I don't wreck them while I'm doing this job. I have been told by a few people who have the spindle press that it doesn't work and the way to remove the spindle is to do it with the trailing arm on the car. The last person to tell me that was Rick, the owner of Corvette Center of Colorado Springs, and he does these every day. I do know how these go together, because I took the ones for the 68' apart. I have an extensive shop, and think I could do this easy enough. What do you all think?
Old 07-25-2002, 01:51 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (Dalannex)

The first time I tackled the rear bearing assemblies I didn't know better and just went ahead and took them apart. I didn't have any special tools or knowledge just determination to do it. They came apart fine.
Once apart I polished the fit on the inner bearing to make assembly and future removal easier. The inner nut is torqued to over 100 Ft Lbs so why does the bearing need to be such a tight fit. Tom's advertieses their bears are a slid fit.
You can also remove the bearing carrier from the trailing arm after removeing the castle nut and splined drive shaft end. After that remove the 4 nuts or cut them off the the hole assembly should come off the trailing arm. Of coarse the rotor and caliper were removed earlier.
You can make your own assembly tool to check shim thickness.
You save alot by doing it yourself plus the satisfaction.
Check all end play without grease, just a little oil.
Good luck
Old 07-25-2002, 01:56 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (norvalwilhelm)

Do a lot of you go with the slip fit technique? I was just looking at tools and considering getting the spindle knocker, spindle installation tool, and bearing setup tool.
Old 07-25-2002, 02:02 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (gtr1999)

gtr1999, I have worked with close tolerances before, I used to run a shop where we worked with CNC machines and had closer tolerances than that all day long. You don't use the spindle installation tool? Is the spindle long enough that you can get the rear bearing on and then pull it on with the inner flange, or what? I am going to be ordering some tools before I leave for work today, so if I do need the install tool, I'll order it up. Thanks.

-Justin
Old 07-25-2002, 03:43 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (Dalannex)

Hey guys, I've been looking the wheel bearing job over a bit. I think I can do it with the trailing arm on the car the easiest. If I take the wheel and rotor off the outside, then remove the driveshaft, nut and flange from the inside, can I get the spindle out by putting the spindle knocker on and beating it out, or by using a wheel center and making a giant slide hammer to fasten on the spindle and drive it out? That way the inside bearing would come off of the shaft, and the outside one would be still on the shaft, as would the seal. then I can pry the inside seal out and drive out both inside and outside races. Then using the bearing puller I can remove the bearing and seal from the spindle. Now, I set up the new bearings with the proper number of shims to maintain .001-.008 play using the bearings set up tool. Here's where my question comes in. I have to put the outer seal on the spindle, then press the bearing on the spindle. I also press the races into the bearing support. How do I go about getting that outside seal into the bearing support? It's on the spindle, so it needs to be driven in while it's on the spindle. Isn't that kind of hard to do? Once the outer bearing and seal are in I should be able to press the inner bearing on with the spindle installation tool, then drive in the seal, put the shield on, then the flange and torque the nut. Am I close or what? Is the spindle installation tool for pulling the inside bearing on the spindle or not?
Old 07-25-2002, 10:44 PM
Frank75
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (gtr1999)

Yeah, go for it. I did mine but they were a snap to take apart due to having been previously modified to slip-fit. Actually I ended up replacing the spindles as they were TOO loose. This was good as one of the old spindles turned into an inspection tool to check tolerances. :)

I did buy an assembly tool which was helpful for final assembly. Monty used to have a suspension.html page showing this job - don't have his URL handy but it was helpful for me. It's been quite a while since I did the job but it was pretty straightforward, and as mentioned, lots of help is available here.

[Modified by Frank75, 8:45 PM 7/25/2002]
Old 07-26-2002, 12:05 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 822 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's where my question comes in. I have to put the outer seal on the spindle, then press the bearing on the spindle. I also press the races into the bearing support. How do I go about getting that outside seal into the bearing support? ?
If you resize the spindle for "slip fit", then you can install the outer bearing and seal into the bearing support, then, install the spindle.

I used an old (turned down) spindle as a setup tool.

I made a press to remove the spindle. Four threaded rods and a 1/2" steel plate with four holes. (Details if you are interested)

Set to .001 - .002, any more and you could have brake issues.

Be careful if you are grinding shims to achieve correct setting. If you grind more off one side than the other, you could cause alignment stress on the bearings when tightened.

Not a bad job to do. You can do it.
Barry
Old 07-26-2002, 03:07 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (Barry's70LT1)

Hey thanks guys. Could you guys send me some pics of your homemade tools? dalannex@yahoo.com I would appreciate it. I'm hoping to get after this soon. Right now I need to get the motor rebuilt for my pickup and get it out of the shop so I can get the vette in. :crazy:

Gtr1999, I do have a 20 ton press in the shop. Did you take the bearing support off of the trailing arm then press the spindle out? It seems to me that the trailing arm is kind of weak to be pressing on.
Old 07-26-2002, 01:29 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Thanks for the pics. I see what you use for checking runout. I'm going to have to make one like it. I think I can get this job done easy enough. How does that bearing setup tool work? Do you slide it in the bearing housing with the bearings and shims on it then tighten the nut down, then check the runout, then take it back apart and adjust the shims according and repeat??
Old 07-26-2002, 03:53 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Thanks. I'm ready now. :D Well, I need some space in the shop, so it'll be a couple weeks, but then I'll be ready. I'll probably have some questions then. Later.

Justin
Old 07-26-2002, 07:11 PM
DVG73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try this link, it is from Terry Rudy's site and he has it linked to Monty's. I found it helpful when I did mine, it's not too bad as long as you have the tools. Good Luck.
http://www.montygwilliams.com/rearbearings.html
Old 07-27-2002, 03:32 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement??? (DVG73)

:cool: That's just what I've been looking for. Thanks for the link. :D Thanks to whoever took the time to make such a fabulous page as well. :yesnod:

Get notified of new replies

To Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tips and tools for rear wheel bearing removal and replacement???