C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Corvette Turn Signal issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:47 PM
Colby Coleman
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 78 Corvette Turn Signal issue

I have a 1978 with a tilt/telescopic steering. I replaced the buzzer switch, ignition cylinder, turn signal w/cruise lever, and turn signal switch. Upon reassembly of the switch and signal lever, I noticed that it will not engage the left turn signal, neutral and right work fine. I can manually click it into place, but the lever will not move it enough, it stops before it can engage. The lever is installed centered, so I would imagine it has the clearance. Any help will be appreciated.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:11 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I am wondering if you have the steering column properly centered. There should be an indentation on the very end of the upper steering shaft. That mark should be at 12 o'clock when the car is driven straight ahead.

Here is a paper to check if things are properly centered throughout your entire steering system.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=1033

Jim
Old 07-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Frankenvette
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going to reply but figured Jim would reply with expert advice. I replaced my turn signal switch about 13 years ago and since then had to manually engage the left turn signal and cancel. It was not until I pulled the steering to install a borgeson unit that I accidentally fixed my turn signal issue resulting in proper turn signal engagement and cancel.

I too thought I had centered it correctly upon replacement only to find out I had in fact not done so. My guess is that it is not centered properly. In all the years on the forum I do not recall anyone mentioning that they had clearance issues with replacement turn signal switch.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Corvette Turn Signal issue

Quick Reply: 78 Corvette Turn Signal issue