C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: 1970 front brake rotor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:14 AM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: 1970 front brake rotor replacement

Ok... to my surprise when doing a rotor swap I found that the rotors are riveted to the hub. I have new cross drilled and slotted rotors but am having trouble finding someone that can drill out the old rivets and install new ones. How could this be done without warping the new rotors without doing all 5 rivets at the same time?

I have a machine shop that can drill them out but doesn't have the rivets. What have you guys done in the past? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Bluefalcon1
...to my surprise when doing a rotor swap I found that the rotors are riveted to the hub...
That's factory. All four are riveted unless someone has been there before you.

You can aattempt to install rivets on your aftermarket rotors, but the bearings, calipers, and lug nuts will keep them in place.

No disrespect, but since you were not aware of the factory installation, are you confident about your rotor swap?

Old 07-19-2014, 11:46 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Rotors cannot be simply swapped on a C3 as is done on modern cars. They were riveted together by GM to allow the final machining of the rotor face to eliminate runout. Unless you are prepared to re-machine or shim the new rotors after installation, leave the originals in place. They almost never wear out, basically good for the life of the car.

Slotted and drilled rotors do not improve braking BTW, just bling.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:52 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

this forum has a search function, you should learn to use it.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:59 AM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
That's factory. All four are riveted unless someone has been there before you.

You can aattempt to install rivets on your aftermarket rotors, but the bearings, calipers, and lug nuts will keep them in place.

No disrespect, but since you were not aware of the factory installation, are you confident about your rotor swap?

Are you saying that the rotors could be installed without the rivets like they are on every other car I have done brake jobs on since 1968? Your correct about the lugs and calipers but could this create a hazard on the setup of the vette without the rivets. Has anyone used anything but the stock setup?

I tend to differ about just the bling of the cross drilled rotors. I have used these on at least 10 other cars with a significant improvement in stopping ability. Pads wear out sooner but its just the price you pay.

I have not taken the rear tires off yet to see if they are also riveted. The funny thing is that the new rear rotors only have holes for the lug studs. Only the new front rotors have rivet holes.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:01 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by redvetracr
this forum has a search function, you should learn to use it.
I did and found nothing.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I did and found nothing.
Try rotor runout.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Try rotor runout.
Thanks Mike.

Very interesting..... What a pain.

Is there anyone in Houston that I could take this to (pay of course)? If not I will install the ceramic pads only and turn the stock rotors and call it a day till I can pick up tools and parts.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Why do you want to turn the rotors? Again- that opens Pandora's box.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Why do you want to turn the rotors? Again- that opens Pandora's box.
When I bought the car the brakes were bad. They reminded me of the 4 wheel drum brakes back on my 66 SS Chevelle. No leaks but just doesn't want to stop. Pads looked almost new. The surface looks a bit glazed and Thought I would go through everything. I started with the fronts. I have new SS brake lines with new rotors and pads. This usually takes me about 20 minutes per side with everything but this has now turned into a real challenge.

Also, the back reservoir on the master was a little low an I suspect the prior owner put a new break line on the back.

When they mention shimming the rotors..... where exactly does the shim go? Is this between the rotor and the hub to push it out? Or is this just a spacer between the hub and the wheel?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:33 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You do not need the rivets, use a large drill bit to cut the tops of the rivets off and just drive them out. Then drive the studs out and the hub and rotor can be separated.....Clean the hub surface and place the new rotor on the hub and then re-stud it.....this should make a minimum amount or nothing run out....If there is run-out have a parts store or machine shop that does brakes true them in on their rotor/drum lathe...Forget that shimming procedure you can waste all day with that issue.....Get them machine trued up if necessary
Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

The surface looks a bit glazed ................

When they mention shimming the rotors..... where exactly does the shim go? Is this between the rotor and the hub to push it out? Or is this just a spacer between the hub and the wheel?
The glazing can be removed with a scotch brite pad on a rotary tool. Very common process, 3M sells a kit.

The shims go between the rotor and the hub/spindle.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:16 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 578 Likes on 460 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Ironcross
You do not need the rivets, use a large drill bit to cut the tops of the rivets off and just drive them out. Then drive the studs out and the hub and rotor can be separated.....Clean the hub surface and place the new rotor on the hub and then re-stud it.....this should make a minimum amount or nothing run out....If there is run-out have a parts store or machine shop that does brakes true them in on their rotor/drum lathe...Forget that shimming procedure you can waste all day with that issue.....Get them machine trued up if necessary
you can get some tapered / flat head fasteners that all you need to do is tap the hub. o ring calipers are less sensitive to runout than lip seals, but ill be flamed for saying that. the search function will save you time and grief.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Brcmpbl
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I would bleed the whole system before I started replacing parts, no question. If there's glazing, remove it with the pads Mike mentioned (Roloc?). Some 120-150 grit sandpaper should work also, I think.

Honestly I find the search function on this site to be about the only thing that's terrible - returns an astounding amount of irrelevance.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:55 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Are you saying that the rotors could be installed without the rivets...
Yes.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 AM
Barry's70LT1
Drifting

Received 838 Likes on 245 Posts

When I bought the car the brakes were bad. They reminded me of the 4 wheel drum brakes back on my 66 SS Chevelle. No leaks but just doesn't want to stop. Pads looked almost new.
Are you sure you're chasing the correct solution for the poor braking ?

All 4 of my rotors are the originals and I believe I have great brakes. Have you checked the MC etc ?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 AM
Jeff_Keryk
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I have found 2 issues with these brakes:
#1 - hard to bleed. Solution - use Motive Bleeder
#2 - Insufficient vacuum to booster. Solution - adjust idle mixture for highest manifold vacuum.

If you have hard pedal, I believe #2 is your problem.
Anyways, that's my experience.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: 1970 front brake rotor replacement

Old 07-20-2014, 05:05 PM
Flivver61
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I use a shop in Spring on the north side of town, they do a lot of work on classics and corvettes. They did all the work on my 72's brakes, new pads, rotors, lines, powerboost. PM me if you would like their info. My car stops much quicker now. It was bone stock and only 46k miles, and wasn't bad, but I wanted better.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:28 PM
Bluefalcon1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Sorry.... I have been busy the past day and this is the first I have had a chance to get back with replies. First let me thank each and every one of you that responded. Lots of useful information. Decisions, decisions, decisions......
Old 07-21-2014, 12:07 AM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I have 100,000+ miles on my original rotors. When the hydraulic system is up,to factory specs, your brakes will amaze you how well they stop. Zora designed these brakes to stop a relatively heavy, high performance sports car. They did, they do.

Notice the calipers aren't original, they are stainless steel sleeved. Not seen is the braided stainless hoses that make a huge difference in pedal firmness.
Use the rotor money to improve other parts of your Corvette.

Pete

Quick Reply: HELP: 1970 front brake rotor replacement