C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb Question(s) With Differential And Rear End...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:09 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Dumb Question(s) With Differential And Rear End...

Why does one of the bolts that hold the leaf spring to the diff go straight up into the diff? Is that to drain it easy or is mine "special"? Do you seal it up with anything when reinstalling?

I am tackling my rear end and when I pulled out the forward passenger side bolt, out came all my diff fluid. Looks like this is going to be a fun job, hence it's reputation. Should I replace or reuse yoke caps, u-joint bolts and u-joint flanges? My trailing arm and strut rod bushings are the only things that really need replacing and all the hardware is in good shape, but since I am taking everything off to get to them, I was wondering if it would be worth a kit like this: http://willcoxcorvette.com/product_i...ducts_id=24381 . Any recommendations?

Last edited by Jartanyon; 07-20-2014 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:28 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

The bolt shouldn't enter the diffy case. I think that you're going to have to pull the cover and examine the interior for pieces of metal.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:45 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

Really!?!? That sucks!
I had the yokes replaced last year and the mechanic had a hell of a time with everything - 2 out of the 4 bolts had helicoils. They replaced the fluid and gasket on the diff when done. I wonder how the heck it goes all the way into the case??
Old 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Jartanyon
Really!?!? . I wonder how the heck it goes all the way into the case??

because bubba worked on your car...
Old 07-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Jartanyon
Racer

I guess so . If you think about it, though kinda a good idea in a weird way...easier to drain. I just wonder how the heck it didn't leak out without any sealer or anything.

So for those of you who have done this before, should I change out the yoke caps, u-joint bolts and u-joint flanges or recondition the old ones?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:04 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The bolt was too long at one time and busted into the case, or else someone drilled into it while getting a broken bolt out. Best fix is a new hd cover. I got one for a 75, don't think it will fit the 78 though.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 AM
Jartanyon
Racer

Thanks Dean. I'm not sure if it would fit either, but I appreciate your offer. Do you think it is ok to have it like that? It hasn't leaked a drop after I got it back from them, but it seems like the slightest torque on that bolt would cause one. Then again, while I have everything out...

Oh well, I guess now its time to tell the wife that because of this discovery, I need that 3.73 gear with the 700r4 I have been talking about.
After all, might as well start the process if I have to replace the diff cover now…

Last edited by Jartanyon; 07-21-2014 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:25 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

The most important thing would be to make sure there isn't a piece of metal that got busted loose and is roaming around in the diff. Aside from that, I can't see it hurting anything as long as it's not leaking.

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb Question(s) With Differential And Rear End...

Quick Reply: Dumb Question(s) With Differential And Rear End...