C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper door doesn't open ???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 09:13 PM
MikeD72
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper door doesn't open ???

1972 vette , wiper door doesn't open anymore ?? Checked vacuum all good , new actuator relay valve and new arm vacuum switch and actuator seal looks good . I'm thinking maybe it's the wiper solenoid that is bad ?? Also when the car is running I manually open the wiper door and turn the wiper switch on the wipers work fine they work only at one speed but still works and when I turn off the wiper switch the wiper door doesn't go down , only when the car is off I can manually close it . Please any suggestion . Thank u !!
Old 07-24-2014, 10:59 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

1- Have you tried the wiper door override?

2- Have you triple checked the vacuum hose plumbing to make sure it is connected properly?

3- Do you have access to diagnostic tools like a Mityvac or a vacuum gauge?

Lets start there. Report back and we can get this started and get you back on the road.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:56 AM
MikeD72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dave J
1- Have you tried the wiper door override?

2- Have you triple checked the vacuum hose plumbing to make sure it is connected properly?

3- Do you have access to diagnostic tools like a Mityvac or a vacuum gauge?

Lets start there. Report back and we can get this started and get you back on the road.
Hey Dave thx for the help , Override yes nothing happens ,
Tripled checked vacuum hose connections and they are in good condition no leak .
No mytyvak, no gauge .
Old 07-25-2014, 07:39 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

If neither the wiper switch or the override are working, you either aren't getting any vacuum to the wiper door actuator (various reasons) or the wiper door actuator is kaput.

Go buy a Mityvac at the local autoparts store, connect it to the wiper door actuator and see if it will open. If it does, you have a vacuum issue somewhere else.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:55 AM
Roadster71
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeD72
Hey Dave thx for the help , Override yes nothing happens ,
Tripled checked vacuum hose connections and they are in good condition no leak .
No mytyvak, no gauge .
When you checked the actuator seal which did you mean? The correct one is the small accordion seal on the actuator shaft under the larger dust cover. Mine has a habit of pulling out from time to time.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:57 AM
MikeD72
Advanced

Originally Posted by Revi
If neither the wiper switch or the override are working, you either aren't getting any vacuum to the wiper door actuator (various reasons) or the wiper door actuator is kaput.

Go buy a Mityvac at the local autoparts store, connect it to the wiper door actuator and see if it will open. If it does, you have a vacuum issue somewhere else.
Revi , so I bought a new wiper arm vacuum switch with a new wiper door vacuum relay last week but I didn't test them before installing ( don't have a mityvac ) so it can be that either one are duds . I installed also new hose a while ago , I double checked hose connection . Is there a way to check the wiper door open and close without a mityvac or I should just invest in a mityvac ??? My headlights are working properly .
Old 07-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Mike,

You can check the wiper door system without some sort of vacuum tester, but it's much easier and more conclusive with one. Here's a couple of suggestions.

http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-b...kit-69328.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/fuel-pu...ter-93547.html

Also triple check the vacuum hose routing. Here's a schematic from our friends at Willcox.

http://willcoxcorvette.com/popup_image.php?pID=26331

If you want me to talk you through the tests, I'll be around all day. I'm smoking a bunch of pork butts for the weekend. 402-659-1017
Old 07-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeD72
...I bought a new wiper arm vacuum switch with a new wiper door vacuum relay last week...
My money says you have a hose installed incorrectly. Keep an eye on the color codes and respective ports.

Old 08-01-2014, 06:43 PM
MikeD72
Advanced

Default Found the issue !!

The issue was the actuator , I couldn't figure it out because me hoses where all fairly new and the witch hat was in perfect condition . So I looked in other areas and spend hours like under the dash board ext ... Until I got back to the actuator and removed the red hose and manually open the wiper door and block the pipe where the red hose goes to with my figure and try to close the wiper door with my other hand and it closed . Which it not suppose to so just got a new actuator and all is working thank u all for the help !!!

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper door doesn't open ???

Quick Reply: Wiper door doesn't open ???