C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suggestions for a cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:51 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default suggestions for a cold air intake

Engine in question has a crossram intake with stacks. The stacks are located above the intake runners at the height of my valve covers. I'm going to build an airbox over them. This box will have it's inlet facing forward, towards the radiator.

I would like to know some input on how to get the 2 sides to suck cold air and get a sufficiently big filter on those 2 pipes. Pipes would be 3.5" diameter each.
I've been breaking my head over how to get the pipes to go over the rad or something and then find a suitable space to put 2 cone filters or something up front (I also run a Canton Accusump of which the can is fitted right behing the bumper bracket in between the 2 headlights).

I have been pondering an aluminum radiator and electric fans to move the fan shroud out of the way, but looks like the space between the front crossmember and schroud of the electric fans would still be too small...and then I still need to fit a filter somewhere.

Input greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM
scottyp99
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It would probably be easier to take advantage of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield, a la the L-88 or cowl-induction type hood.

Scott
Old 07-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by scottyp99
...It would probably be easier to take advantage of the high pressure area at the base of the windshield...
Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

I mounted a Flexalite S-blade fan assy on the front of the radiator. Am using Sprectre 4" twin snorkel at the carb to dual cold air intakes that get their air pick up just below the front air dam/spoiler. My system doesnot work with a P/B booster, but you said you are building a custom air box. Just so you get an idea on how my system looks I could E-mail picts as I'm totally incompetent at posting picts here. Get a lot of compliments on my system, also no cooling system issues. T
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
I mounted a Flexalite S-blade fan assy on the front of the radiator. Am using Sprectre 4" twin snorkel at the carb to dual cold air intakes that get their air pick up just below the front air dam/spoiler. My system doesnot work with a P/B booster, but you said you are building a custom air box. Just so you get an idea on how my system looks I could E-mail picts as I'm totally incompetent at posting picts here. Get a lot of compliments on my system, also no cooling system issues. T
fyi they changed the options on uploading pics here.... as long as you can copy the pic to your computer its very easy to upload them here...you just click the picture box of the mountains in your reply window and then browse to the pic on your computer and hit upload.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 AM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terrys6t8roadster
Thanks.

I'm not using a round filter as I have a stack manifold with the 4 stacks on each bank just on the inside of the valve covers.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:23 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

I can't remember who, but one member here has two 3" or 4" intake pipes running back to the area under the windshield and mounted two cone filters in the "rain gutter" on the other side of the firewall.
He had to put two holes in the firewall but it looks pretty sharp and is a good cold air source.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:07 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
I can't remember who, but one member here has two 3" or 4" intake pipes running back to the area under the windshield and mounted two cone filters in the "rain gutter" on the other side of the firewall.
He had to put two holes in the firewall but it looks pretty sharp and is a good cold air source.
I remember something like that as well.

However that space is not generous on the one hand and on the other hand it contains the wiper mechanism. I live in a country where it rains ( a lot on accassions and usually when you least expect it)
Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
I remember something like that as well.

However that space is not generous on the one hand and on the other hand it contains the wiper mechanism. I live in a country where it rains ( a lot on accassions and usually when you least expect it)
I couldn't find his thread on this intake but there is a posting of it on this thread post #48

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-77-and-3.html
Old 07-29-2014, 05:37 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

I see, hm, not sure how you could ever fit a 4" pipe in there, but nonetheless he succeeded.

Anyway, I was thinking of a box with a flat panel air filter with the opening towards the cowl, that would fit into the bulge of the L88 hood. The airboxes would be connected to that box in the front.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:20 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

So far this is what i've made. The box is almost complete. Top still needs to be made and the tube attached to the front.

I decided I'm going to cover the box in carbon fiber to make it look better
Old 08-23-2014, 12:42 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Old 08-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Almost finished item. A little rough around the edges still but this is the general idea.

Had to make some compromised with the intake tube entry. Hopefully it won't disturb things too much.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

That's nice Paul, but not really usefull for me I'm afraid.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:58 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Belgian1979vette
That's nice Paul, but not really usefull for me I'm afraid.

Yes I see..... you are doing an amazing job!!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Wow! U really have some time and effort into those air boxes. Really some professional looking work too. This really gets my cranial idea section rolling.

Well rather than try to tell u what to do i will just say what i would do. The only real direction left for more room is up. Yes scoops. U all ready have the filters in the air boxes right? And with the front angle of the hood it (they) shouldnt have to be that hi/tall. Just get them at least 1/2" above hood surface for good air stream. And an easy trick here for rain abatement is place the scoop where the air makes an S turn into the box - anywhere in the box will do - and drill the rain drain holes into the rear of scoop such the dynamic air press forces water backward and out the drain. FYI dynamic ram press is only like 1/2psi @ 100mph so dont expect much for supercharging - just enough to over come loses in the flow path bends.
Yes this would take some type of seal to the hood. But u can buy the old pontiac GTO style ram air scoop from plenty of on the shelf vendors and in various sizes/heights/lengths.

Cool, hey thx for posting your engine.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cardo0
Wow! U really have some time and effort into those air boxes. Really some professional looking work too. This really gets my cranial idea section rolling.

Well rather than try to tell u what to do i will just say what i would do. The only real direction left for more room is up. Yes scoops. U all ready have the filters in the air boxes right? And with the front angle of the hood it (they) shouldnt have to be that hi/tall. Just get them at least 1/2" above hood surface for good air stream. And an easy trick here for rain abatement is place the scoop where the air makes an S turn into the box - anywhere in the box will do - and drill the rain drain holes into the rear of scoop such the dynamic air press forces water backward and out the drain. FYI dynamic ram press is only like 1/2psi @ 100mph so dont expect much for supercharging - just enough to over come loses in the flow path bends.
Yes this would take some type of seal to the hood. But u can buy the old pontiac GTO style ram air scoop from plenty of on the shelf vendors and in various sizes/heights/lengths.

Cool, hey thx for posting your engine.
Unfortunatly the hood is all painted and finished + putting filters or something above the hood line will not pass technical inspection here.

I'm looking into tilting the radiator backward and have just enough room to pass the 3.5" diameter tubes over the radiator into the nose.

Anyway, I think I will put a layer of carbon fiber on them to make them look ok.

Last edited by Belgian1979vette; 08-23-2014 at 04:02 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To suggestions for a cold air intake

Old 08-23-2014, 04:27 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Wow! U can have a 500hp cross ram IR fuel injected motor under the hood but change nothing above the hood line? That bureaucracy is worse than california's.
Old 08-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Belgian1979vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cardo0
Wow! U can have a 500hp cross ram IR fuel injected motor under the hood but change nothing above the hood line? That bureaucracy is worse than california's.
Well, technically even that could be an issue. However I have some ideas to disguise things a bit
Old 08-23-2014, 07:46 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Have you thought about modifying some K&N panel filters and somehow lay them across the stacks? Just a thought.

Quick Reply: suggestions for a cold air intake