C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about rear spring

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 03:09 PM
jso789
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about rear spring

I currently have the rear suspension apart on my 81 to replace the strut rod bushings. Somebody installed the camber bracket bolts in backwards so i had to remove the leaf spring to get them out. The car is a 4 speed so it has the old style steel spring. My question is regarding re-installing the leaf spring. I heard from somewhere that when you re install the spring you must not torque down the spring mounting bolts (the ones that hold the spring to the differential) until the weight of the car is back on the spring. Is this true or does it not matter if the bolts are torqued before you set the weight of the car back on the spring? I figured it wouldn't matter just as long as you have the spring properly centered before tightening it down all the way. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2014, 04:51 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

I've read the same thing. Is what they was saying. lower the car without torquing the bolts. If you torque the bolts first then set the car down The ride height will be off the back of the car will be sitting too high.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:55 PM
havesometo
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

Sorry it double posted.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:25 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The reason why you want to torque these bolts with the WEIGHT ON IT...meaning the car being on the GROUND...it so the spring will flatten out.

IF you try to torque the bolts with the rear off the ground...you can and more than likely BREAK your rear differential cover...because these bolts were NOT designed to compress this spring.

If it is a replacement fiberglass spring...that is completely different. BUT...a STEEL sporing. Get the bolts good and SNUG and then after you install the outer bolts...set the car down and then slide under the AFTER....REPEAT...AFTER you rolled it back and forth about 10 feet...ON LEVEL GROUND...OBVIOUSLY... to get the spring to settle ...and then torque these bolts.

I was not aware that an 1981 had a four speed .. I thought the 1980 model year was the last year for a manual in the C3 era. And all the 1981's I have ever worked on had a fiberglass spring. INTERESTING!?!?!?!?

DUB
Old 08-02-2014, 07:28 PM
jso789
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replys guys. I figured it had something to do with the position of the spring with the weight on it. And yes 81's still had the option for a manual trans. And the manual cars did not come with the fiberglass spring, just the old steel one like the 80 and earlier cars..
Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by jso789
Thanks for the replys guys. I figured it had something to do with the position of the spring with the weight on it. And yes 81's still had the option for a manual trans. And the manual cars did not come with the fiberglass spring, just the old steel one like the 80 and earlier cars..
Nice option to have from the factory. I have been in business for a really long time and have never had an 81 manual in my shop.

DUB
Old 08-03-2014, 08:01 PM
sgt kohler
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would the car on the ground torque method apply to a 77 with the stock steel spring? im doing mine this week. thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Question about rear spring

Quick Reply: Question about rear spring