C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor-Clean or Rebuild?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:13 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts
Default Carburetor-Clean or Rebuild?

Just replaced the rusty fuel tank in my '74 small block. 4 speed, headers, big mufflers in the stock location, Edelbrock(1406 I believe) carb and Performer intake. Big older model Mallory ignition(coil?). I guess it's stock otherwise. New rubber fuel line, cleaned the steel line. Still having drive-ability issues. At a constant speed, if I rev it a little, "Vroom" when I let off, I get a pop. Vroom, pop. Vroom, pop. Also, occasionally it bogs under heavy acceleration in first gear. Should I try cleaning the carb, or go ahead and rebuild it? Don't really know what to clean. Never have disassembled a carburetor, but I have removed and replaced many.

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 05-04-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 02:49 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

The only way to clean the carb is to disassemble it. The auto stores and discount places(Walmart) sell gallon cans of carb cleaner. Walmart also sells disposable aluminum cooking pans that are about 10"x10"-just the right size for the carb pieces. Get Cliff Rugles book. Also, if you are a little worried about rebuilding the carb, get the cheapest, dirty, POS carb (ebay or a member was selling one a few days ago) and disassemble that one first just for practice. It may sound like a waste of $35 or $40, but you've heard the adage "the difference between education and experience is that education is cheap".
Old 05-04-2016, 03:11 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

I do have some old carbs I could practice on...but is a Quadrajet a good one for a first attempt? I also have a buddy who can do the job or fix it if I screw up, I just don't want to wait a month for him to do it!
Old 05-05-2016, 02:04 AM
ShipmanPhotos
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following.

In a similar boat and happen to have a spare (old crusty) quadrajet for some reason (No idea what it came out of) that looks identical to the one on my 77 L82. Thinking of doing my own rebuild and practicing on that one first. At least it would provide parts if I screw something up!

Decoded it and it's from a 79 Chevy but don't know what model. Truck probably.

Last edited by ShipmanPhotos; 05-05-2016 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:58 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

have you inspected/changed your fuel filter yet? I might be plugged
Old 05-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Yes there were two filters on it and a box of filters behind the seat. I replaced the rubber fuel supply lines, put on a new filter, and cleaned the steel fuel line with carb cleaner and compressed air. I was anticipating replacing the tank and cleaning the carb before I even had the car, the previous owner told me the tank was rusty and carb was dirty.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:07 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

I would rebuild/clean the carb. There are some good books to walk you thru the process. It is overwhelming at first. Take your time, I used egg crates to label and keep small parts in order of dis-assembly. I rebuilt mine 19 years ago, it has worked great. I plan to rebuild it this winter, just to clean it.

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor-Clean or Rebuild?

Quick Reply: Carburetor-Clean or Rebuild?