C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing is everything!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 12:36 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by c3_dk
I had a small talk (mail) with Lars regarding my L46 engine.
This is what he told me, and I am 112% sure this is right.

" An 11:1 engine will require a minimum AKI of 100 octane, which in your EU RON system would be about 106 octane. You cannot run your engine on 100 EU octane fuel - it will detonate. Your 99-octane is about the same as our standard 94 octane pump gas, which will not support an 11:1 engine. You need to lower your compression ratio."
Maybe you said this but are you running iron or aluminum heads? Just curious
Old 08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Received 381 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Maybe you said this but are you running iron or aluminum heads? Just curious
Iron, std. L46 1969 engine, nothing changed. (std. 186 2.02/1.6 heads, cam ec ec)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

Iron, std. L46 1969 engine, nothing changed. (std. 186 2.02/1.6 heads, cam ec ec)
Ok thanks, I just installed aluminum heads that put me at 11:1 compression (according to Sumitt's calculator) and I've had no issues
Old 08-06-2014, 12:58 PM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AirborneSilva
Ok thanks, I just installed aluminum heads that put me at 11:1 compression (according to Sumitt's calculator) and I've had no issues
I am glad you have no problems.
I am sure that alu heads helps ALOT, cooler engine "new" combustion chambers. I am sure this would help me also.

I also run with cool sparkplugs, 160 thermostat, and still on a hot day, I have problems.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:01 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Did the engine knocked since it was rebuilt?
Old 08-06-2014, 01:14 PM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

I am glad you have no problems.
I am sure that alu heads helps ALOT, cooler engine "new" combustion chambers. I am sure this would help me also.

I also run with cool sparkplugs, 160 thermostat, and still on a hot day, I have problems.
Sorry brother, I hope you are able to get it figured out without spending too much money
Old 08-06-2014, 01:15 PM
Sweet70
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Revi
When did this pre-ignition start? What was the last thing you did to the car before it started? It certainly seems like you understand the timing process/principals. There must be something else going on other than just incorrect timing.
I agree with the thought process re what's changed ... basically a lot.

I purchased the car about five years ago at that time it was mostly original but in need of a restoration. Since then I have restored or replaced just about everything that moves. I took the body off and kept going until there was an empty space. I don't recall having this problem prior to the restoration work. It did have an old holly carb that I replaced with a correct Rochester. The Rochester was completely professionally restored at the conclusion of the engine rebuild. Things that have changed on the engine are, the block bored, I think it was 35 over. Pistons and rings replaced to keep the 11:1 compression ratio. Crank polished, main bearings changed, valve seals and springs, oil pump, water pump, harmonic balancer, cam shaft, lifters, timing chain, fan thermostat, coolant thermostat changed to 180, hoses, belts, replaced. On the distributor I replaced the vac can to a B28 due to low manifold vacuum at idle. I have replaced the points with a Petronics Ignitor III (71181) and a matching high performance coil, Ignitor 111 (44011). The idea here was to retain an original look and do away with the issues of points, dwell etc. My plugs are new within 500 miles AC Delco R43. I increased the recommended gap from 35 to 40 to allow for the higher output coil. At the time of installing the Petronics system I adjusted the distributor drive gear with a shim back into spec. I visually checked the distributor drive
shaft along with the lower and upper bushings for wear. I changed the cap and rotor within the last 500 miles. My issues were apparent prior to the Petronic changes. I had problems with running after the engine rebuild.The engine would not idle below 1000 rpm, through the "forum" I was introduced to Lars vac can selection and timing papers. This has been very helpful as I believe my vac can was bad and switching to the B28 has been a tremendous help. Now my engine starts, idles and generally runs well, if I could eliminate the knock in 1st & 2nd ... I'm done. I don't want a hot rod nor a race car, I want a hobby car that's fun to drive ... shoot, it's not even a good investment!

If you have any suggestions please feel free, I'm going to try a couple of the current suggestions tomorrow then disconnect the battery, put the cover on and head off up north in the cool for a few weeks.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:01 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd start with real basics. Engines can make all sorts of rattly sounds not associated with detonation.

Put a real strong rubber band around the weights to keep them from moving and go for a drive. Disconnect and plug the vacuum advance also.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Sweet70
I agree with the thought process re what's changed ... basically a lot.

I purchased the car about five years ago at that time it was mostly original but in need of a restoration. Since then I have restored or replaced just about everything that moves. I took the body off and kept going until there was an empty space. I don't recall having this problem prior to the restoration work. It did have an old holly carb that I replaced with a correct Rochester. The Rochester was completely professionally restored at the conclusion of the engine rebuild. Things that have changed on the engine are, the block bored, I think it was 35 over. Pistons and rings replaced to keep the 11:1 compression ratio. Crank polished, main bearings changed, valve seals and springs, oil pump, water pump, harmonic balancer, cam shaft, lifters, timing chain, fan thermostat, coolant thermostat changed to 180, hoses, belts, replaced. On the distributor I replaced the vac can to a B28 due to low manifold vacuum at idle. I have replaced the points with a Petronics Ignitor III (71181) and a matching high performance coil, Ignitor 111 (44011). The idea here was to retain an original look and do away with the issues of points, dwell etc. My plugs are new within 500 miles AC Delco R43. I increased the recommended gap from 35 to 40 to allow for the higher output coil. At the time of installing the Petronics system I adjusted the distributor drive gear with a shim back into spec. I visually checked the distributor drive
shaft along with the lower and upper bushings for wear. I changed the cap and rotor within the last 500 miles. My issues were apparent prior to the Petronic changes. I had problems with running after the engine rebuild.The engine would not idle below 1000 rpm, through the "forum" I was introduced to Lars vac can selection and timing papers. This has been very helpful as I believe my vac can was bad and switching to the B28 has been a tremendous help. Now my engine starts, idles and generally runs well, if I could eliminate the knock in 1st & 2nd ... I'm done. I don't want a hot rod nor a race car, I want a hobby car that's fun to drive ... shoot, it's not even a good investment!

If you have any suggestions please feel free, I'm going to try a couple of the current suggestions tomorrow then disconnect the battery, put the cover on and head off up north in the cool for a few weeks.

Thanks for your time.
Put 10 gallons of 110 octane race fuel in it and see if it still knocks.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Sweet70
Instructor

Originally Posted by AirBusPilot
Put 10 gallons of 110 octane race fuel in it and see if it still knocks.
Sounds like a novice question but where can you typically buy race fuel?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Sounds like a novice question but where can you typically buy race fuel?
Varies by location, but try a local speed shop. They at least would know. When I lived in Phoenix, there were a few gas stations that had it at the pump!
Old 08-07-2014, 07:18 AM
Sweet70
Instructor

My thanks to all those who offered suggestions. I have a numbers matching L46, heads and inlet manifold are cast iron ... not sure what that aluminum head talk was about.
Based on the many suggestions here's what I plan to do as time permits.

Current … Est advance “all in” @ 36* black/silver springs 2650 rpm. Engine knock in 1st & 2nd gears under load when engine is hot.
Plan ‘A’ ...
Plug vac can and see if knock changes.
Rubber band centrifugal advance and check for effect.
Reset advance to stock at idle, 8* advance + 12* vacuum advance = 20* total @ 750 rpm. This is about 8* lower than current following timing/vac can papers.
Try stock and kit spring combinations in centrifugal advance.
Read spark plugs, try cooler range.
Plan ‘B’ …
Degree the cam
Better understand options to increase fuel flow from Q’Jet, carb replaced during engine rebuild.
Try a higher octane fuel … but it needs to be readily available.

Thanks for your time, any other thoughts, please feel free
Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Unless you decked the block during overhaul, you most likely do not have true 11.0:1 compression (static).
A stock GM block has around .020/.025 deck height. A Flint produced L-46 did not have a true 11.0:1 c/r when it left the factory.
Dependant on your deck height and head gasket thickness, you most likely have somewhere in the mid 10.0's:1 for compression, which should run fine on 93 oct.. Usually somewhere around 10.4/10.5:1 is the make or break point for 93 oct. fuel.

Last edited by Revi; 08-07-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:53 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

My thanks to all those who offered suggestions. I have a numbers matching L46, heads and inlet manifold are cast iron ... not sure what that aluminum head talk was about.
Based on the many suggestions here's what I plan to do as time permits.

Current … Est advance “all in” @ 36* black/silver springs 2650 rpm. Engine knock in 1st & 2nd gears under load when engine is hot.
Plan ‘A’ ...
Plug vac can and see if knock changes.
Rubber band centrifugal advance and check for effect.
Reset advance to stock at idle, 8* advance + 12* vacuum advance = 20* total @ 750 rpm. This is about 8* lower than current following timing/vac can papers.
Try stock and kit spring combinations in centrifugal advance.
Read spark plugs, try cooler range.
Plan ‘B’ …
Degree the cam
Better understand options to increase fuel flow from Q’Jet, carb replaced during engine rebuild.
Try a higher octane fuel … but it needs to be readily available.

Thanks for your time, any other thoughts, please feel free
You are on the right track, you can also run 160 thermostat, to get a nice cool engine.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:07 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Maybe they used shim head gaskets when rebuilding your engine which would have increased your compression?you should be able to get a feeler gauge between the head and block somewhere around the perimeter of the head and check its thickness...
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Sweet70
Instructor

Originally Posted by Revi
Unless you decked the block during overhaul, you most likely do not have true 11.0:1 compression (static).
A stock GM block has around .020/.025 deck height. A Flint produced L-46 did not have a true 11.0:1 c/r when it left the factory.
Dependant on your deck height and head gasket thickness, you most likely have somewhere in the mid 10.0's:1 for compression, which should run fine on 93 oct.. Usually someere around 10.4/10.5:1 is the make or break point for 93 oct. fuel.
Thanks but I fear my foot was out to be shot at! I wish this were the case but I fear not. The block was not decked when it was bored .030" over. But the replacement pistons were upped a bit to allow for this. The piston specs are,
Sealed power 8-KL2304F-30 - Speed Pro Power Forged
Compression ratio: 11.40 :1 with 58cc heads. 9:31 with 76cc heads. I think mine are the 58cc variety. I'm not sure about the head gasket used I'd need to check that but as far as I can recall I used an engine rebuild gasket kit from a major corvette catalog supplier. If there is a specific head gasket to be used please let me know. Changing the head gasket isn't a 5 minute job but I'm getting a feeling the engine is coming out again this winter.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:25 AM
AirborneSilva
Melting Slicks

From what I've been told aluminum heads allow you to run more compression before you experience knock with 93 octane fuel.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing is everything!

Old 08-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Sweet70
Instructor

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Maybe they used shim head gaskets when rebuilding your engine which would have increased your compression?you should be able to get a feeler gauge between the head and block somewhere around the perimeter of the head and check its thickness...
At the vin plate and head right side seems like .033" same on the left side. Thoughts?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:58 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Thanks but I fear my foot was out to be shot at! I wish this were the case but I fear not. The block was not decked when it was bored .030" over. But the replacement pistons were upped a bit to allow for this. The piston specs are,
Sealed power 8-KL2304F-30 - Speed Pro Power Forged
Compression ratio: 11.40 :1 with 58cc heads. 9:31 with 76cc heads. I think mine are the 58cc variety. I'm not sure about the head gasket used I'd need to check that but as far as I can recall I used an engine rebuild gasket kit from a major corvette catalog supplier. If there is a specific head gasket to be used please let me know. Changing the head gasket isn't a 5 minute job but I'm getting a feeling the engine is coming out again this winter.
Those pistons have a 2.4cc dome. Combined with your 58 cc heads you got too much compression. Not only that but, a dome impedes flame front travel which would make the situation worse.

If you used a .035 (?) thick head gasket and did not shave the block down any then stock deck height is 9.025". this would put the piston (squish band anyhow) .025" down the hole. .035 + .025 = .060" for your squish band. This would be a detonation prone distance even without 11.4:1 CR.
Combined, I don't hold much hope for loosing the detonation without changing either the heads or the pistons and then put on a .015" head gasket.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.
Old 08-07-2014, 11:14 AM
c3_dk
Safety Car

Originally Posted by REELAV8R
Those pistons have a 2.4cc dome. Combined with your 58 cc heads you got too much compression. Not only that but, a dome impedes flame front travel which would make the situation worse.

If you used a .035 (?) thick head gasket and did not shave the block down any then stock deck height is 9.025". this would put the piston (squish band anyhow) .025" down the hole. .035 + .025 = .060" for your squish band. This would be a detonation prone distance even without 11.4:1 CR.
Combined, I don't hold much hope for loosing the detonation without changing either the heads or the pistons and then put on a .015" head gasket.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you though.

Are you saying my 69 L46 pistons is 2.4cc??
If yes, then I don't have to measure them.

Quick Reply: Timing is everything!