C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering, Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 02:47 PM
GLJones
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering, Help!

New member. Looking for help with my steering on my 68'. I've installed a later model power steering unit. It's not plumbed backwards (found that out the hard way) however when driven it locks up at a slow turn. Any suggestions would be very helpful.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:14 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,807 Likes on 1,598 Posts

you will be have to be more specific as to what was done. There is no plumbing going to a stock 68 steering box, all the plumbing goes to the control valve and cylinder and pump. Do you have a Borgeson box?
Old 08-04-2014, 03:56 PM
GLJones
7th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
you will be have to be more specific as to what was done. There is no plumbing going to a stock 68 steering box, all the plumbing goes to the control valve and cylinder and pump. Do you have a Borgeson box?
Not sure if it's a Borgeson box. Been awhile since I've worked on it. Seems to work fine when I drive, just when I slow and turn majority of wheel left or right it slams over the remainder of arch and howls? Is the arm coming out of the steering box different in a manual than a power steering equipped car.? Thanks
Old 08-04-2014, 08:37 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Yes, manual and power have different pitman arms and also the outer tie rod ends use different holes.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:49 PM
GLJones
7th Gear

Thank you, I suspected it had to do with the 'pitman arm'. Next task change to power steering arm and confirm proper tie rod configuration. Again many thanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Steering, Help!

Quick Reply: Steering, Help!