C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with windshield washer pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 01:22 PM
Nivek1975
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with windshield washer pump

I bought a 1974 corvette 6 months ago and have been fixing a few odd and end things on it. One thing was the windshield washer wasn't working. So after checking under the hood I noticed that the hose coming from the reservoir wasn't connected to the pump and the 2 hoses going to the wiper arms weren't either.

The reservoir hose was going into a small white box mounted to the right side of the wiper motor almost inline with the steering wheel and the hose coming from it was connected to a tee fitting which leads to the wiper arms. There are 2 wires coming from the box, a red one and a black one.

Knowing nothing about corvettes, I first assumed the white box was an electric pump that wasn't working and needed replacing but after looking for a pump on several corvette sites I couldn't find it. That's when I realized that's not the pump.

So I unhooked the hoses from the white electrical box and ran them to the pump. It took a little while to prime but then the pump was working and the fluid was spraying from the wipers.

That's when I noticed it wouldn't stop spraying when I let off the button. So now, as long as the wipers are running, the washer fluid is spraying and wont stop until I turn the wipers off.

So do I have it hooked up correctly? Does the hose from the reservoir go directly into the pump or does it go into the white electrical box first and from there into the pump? I was thinking maybe the white electrical box is like an electric solenoid that controls when fluid is released to the pump but I honestly don't know.

I would appreciate any help you guys could give me on how to fix this problem.

If anyone needs pics I can take some and post them here to give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:02 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,604 Posts

if you scroll through this link you will find a picture showing a small white drum in the center and to the right of it a darker white pastic pawl. This mehanism is activated by the electric solenoid and after making a complete revolution goes back into park mode. You have something broken with those parts.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c3-t...-part-2-a.html

Quick Reply: Help with windshield washer pump