C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flaming River Rack & Pinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 AM
cboyd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Flaming River Rack & Pinion

Hey guys, still researching the R&P system for my '79. Want to go with R&P rather than Borgeson or the Jeep alternative. Heard some people had complaints about the Steeroid brackets being a little weak, and how low it rested underneath the car. Have any of you guys had experience with the Flaming River R&P cradle Kit. Any input is always considered when I am on a fact finding mission.
Check out the link below and tell me what u think.
Clyde
http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph.../s0001/FR312PW
Old 08-23-2014, 06:10 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You could buy two Borgeson setups for that price, one for you - and one for me.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:22 AM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought one and it's installed on my LSx resto-mod. The frame support is a great addition, as compared to the other racks. I've only driven the car around the block 5 times, so I don't have a good answer yet...............BUT I know it's very tight and I really like the feel so far. Easy install.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:52 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by CWerner
I bought one and it's installed on my LSx resto-mod. The frame support is a great addition, as compared to the other racks. I've only driven the car around the block 5 times, so I don't have a good answer yet...............BUT I know it's very tight and I really like the feel so far. Easy install.
Yes cwerner, that's one of the first things I noticed was how much stronger the frame looked. The steering linkage also comes directly off the ends of the rack and not from the center attached to a bracket. It looks to sit a little tighter under the car as well. Did u just use your stock power steering hose from the pump to the R&P?
Old 08-23-2014, 01:04 PM
cboyd
Racer

Originally Posted by briankeery
You could buy two Borgeson setups for that price, one for you - and one for me.
Brian, I very seriously considered the Borgeson box, did a lit of research on it and got some excellent reviews, guess at the end of the day I really wanted a good R&P set up. The price almost had me convinced.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:44 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

I've had no issues with the Steeroid kit but the Flaming river is a good unit too.

As for too low the headers make contact 1st and I never made any contact before the headers.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:25 PM
CWerner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got mine setup with a hydro boost system. Everything is custom plumbing. The hydro boost & the rack run off the power steering pump. No problems so far.

I drove it today for about 3 miles (test run). Me likey!!!!!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 PM
cboyd
Racer

Thanks guys, no negatives anyway. Anything would be a major improvement what I have now. Thanks for the input, as always, if u plan to do something, someone here already have done it. It's great.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:16 PM
SRountree
Cruising

Cboyd,
Did you get the FR R&P set up? if so, do you like it? any bump steer?

I made a DYI system from instructions on the forums but using the grand am R&P doesn't allow the steering to turn as the factory system. The FR states their system is just like the factory. I am seriously thinking on removing the one I made and installing the FR one.

Get notified of new replies

To Flaming River Rack & Pinion

Quick Reply: Flaming River Rack & Pinion