C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures and thoughts on qjet install/restore

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 08:13 PM
brainsoft
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Lars, I knew I must be missing something! My mechanic friend is grabbing an old carb tomorrow to steal the plate and the long mounting screws I am missing. The cost to send it out to you across the continent is prohibitively expensive, but I would certainly accept a picture of the proper one so can make sure we get the appropriate style.

I was able to get a bunch of different vacuum and brass fittings so I should be able to bend cut link and tee any lines I need to get the vacuum system up to at least running order.

Can I run both the Dizzy vacuum advance and the tranny line from the small manifold port beside the brake booster connection on the back of the carb? I found a 3/8" 90deg to put into the manifold and I'm going to run a second 3/8 line beside the brake line and add a few Tees to clean up all the rubber hosing coming from that corner.

The fuel line I will just keep a rubber jumper in for now. It was recommended to me to install an external in line filter as well as an extra layer of protection. Any thoughts?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Here's the picture of mine, although I'm running a manual now:

Auto carburetor, but manual transmission.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:48 PM
brainsoft
Instructor

Ah, i see the other bracket portion lars is talking about. That would.make the kickdown cable long enough! I hope we can find something that will work
Old 09-02-2014, 09:24 PM
brainsoft
Instructor

Old base plate

New Base plate

Have I got this right? I'm not sure on the cruise...
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

You got it.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:41 PM
brainsoft
Instructor

Does anyone have a picture of the cruise connection? Mine lines just aren't lining up for the rod from the cruise diaphragm
Old 09-04-2014, 09:32 PM
brainsoft
Instructor

I see it now! Shark Racer, yours has a stand off to attach the cruise control, I finally get it! I'll have to see what I can rig up
Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 AM
brainsoft
Instructor

Done!

Tight but it seems to work

Everything actually connected, I found the original cruise control stud installed on the old holley!

now I just need to figure out if there was originally an AC idle solenoid ( i think that's what that solenoid in the picture is) and if it was connected to this floating black wire with a green or blue stripe that used to reach that far

Last edited by brainsoft; 09-09-2014 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Awesome brainsoft. Thx for all the pix too. I learned a lot 'bout a fully equipped C3 with cruise, auto trans and AC.

I think there were 2 different solenoids for the qjet. One was an idle stop for the AC cars. Another was and anti-dieseling solenoid to stop engine run-on after shut down. I think the anti-dieseling solenoid was its function on C3 corvettes but Cadillacs and others it was used to bump up the idle for AC use.

Ill look at my chiltons when i get back home to correct wiring.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:33 AM
brainsoft
Instructor

Well i didnt adjust the kickdown cable so the car ran like crap first time out. Fixed that and still idle like crap.

Turns out i had the dizzy in a tooth off and it was way over advanced, was running only with vac advance disconnected. Very lean and trying to over heat. Got that sorted out though.

Also had a big vacum leak due to a missing vacuum hose barb on the carb... at port "k". We lathed an aluminum plug and hammered it in there and things are running amazing now. Still a vac leak to track down and the dizzy to pull but it is all very happy.

It is almost like this carb was made for the car! Idles low, launches, pulls hard at any speed and purrs like a tiger. I didnt think i could fall in love with this car a second time but I was wrong!

Looking at the wiring diagram looks like the black wire blue stripe is for idle stop solenoid. More research...

Quick Reply: Pictures and thoughts on qjet install/restore