C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c3 Federal Vs. California Car

Old 08-26-2014, 12:51 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default c3 Federal Vs. California Car

Hi C3 vette owners,

I have been stuck with a difficult issue of PASSING CA SMOG and my 76' does not have any original smog components!

After reading a number of threads it appears I have a few options:
1. Find original smog parts and put it together as the factory did.
2. Change plates to historical / showcar to be exempt
3. Do an LS1 engine swap with newer smog components from donor car

One questions that has not been figured out is how do you know if your car is a Federal vs. California car? I don't have any emission stickers on the car and no engine vin#. Can you find out from the vehicle vin if it is Federal and if it is what are the smog requirements for the federal vette in California

Thanks for the input.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

The engine code for Calif would be CLR on the passenger side engine pad. The VIN will only tell you whether it is base engine or L82. L82 was not sold in Calif.

Last edited by MelWff; 08-26-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:31 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 597 Likes on 485 Posts

Not sure you can get historical plates on CA. Usually only see them on Model A type of cars.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5004.htm
Old 08-26-2014, 04:25 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by MelWff
The engine code for Calif would be CLR on the passenger side engine pad. The VIN will only tell you whether it is base engine or L82. L82 was not sold in Calf.
Nor was the 4 speed. All California cars were L-48 with TH400.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Uintah
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kind of a gray area

Given your situation I believe the inspection required would be determined by the following: has it been inspected previously in California, what does the emissions label by the master cylinder indicate, what emission components are still visible for identification.

I don't believe there is any factory paper trail still existing indicating whether a car was Federal or CA certified.

I believe my 77 Vette was CA certified, but I have nothing to prove that. Since I don't plan on ever living in CA I took the simple route and bought a Federal emissions decal and plan on installing the emission components needed to match the decal.

It has an L48 with the 350 automatic.

Last edited by Uintah; 08-26-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:40 PM
Brian79
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to read this, Chevy engine code information
You might be able to piece together the info your looking for.

http://www.nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 AM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Hers some info from the motor manual(smog manual) for 76 vette regarding smog equipment.
The federal cars only had air injection on L-82 and high altitude models while the cali cars all had air injection, other than that no difference as far as the smog program is concerned all had evap canister, catalytic converter, EGR, PCV and thermostatic air cleaner.
A federal car does not need the cali parts to pass smog in cali but a cali car does. My advise is to find all the parts needed and to keep in mind you may also need to pass tha fuel/evap system pressure test.
BTW, no way to get a smog exemption in cali that Im aware of.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 PM
ChromeVette
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dugsgms74
Hers some info from the motor manual(smog manual) for 76 vette regarding smog equipment.
The federal cars only had air injection on L-82 and high altitude models while the cali cars all had air injection, other than that no difference as far as the smog program is concerned all had evap canister, catalytic converter, EGR, PCV and thermostatic air cleaner.
A federal car does not need the cali parts to pass smog in cali but a cali car does. My advise is to find all the parts needed and to keep in mind you may also need to pass tha fuel/evap system pressure test.
BTW, no way to get a smog exemption in cali that Im aware of.

Ok sounds good. the 76 I have was previously SMOG in CA, but no equipment exists on the car now nor emissions labels. It is an L48 so it will need the A.I.R. system.
The real question I have here is what performance parts are really available to upgrade HP from the base L48 if all the old SMOG components are used? It would seem that even a new engine would not be beneficial as the components would constrict any performance added.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

You may just want to go buy a 1975 or earlier. No SMOG required.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/smogfaq.htm

Does my vehicle qualify for a smog exemption? Smog inspections are required unless your vehicle is: •Gasoline powered 1975 year model or older .

When a car is sold, who is responsible for the inspection?
The seller is required to provide the buyer with a valid smog inspection certification at the time of the sale or transfer. Smog certifications are good for 90 days from the date of issuance.

The inspection is not required on a transfer if a biennial smog certification was submitted to DMV within 90 days prior to the vehicle transfer date (a vehicle inspection report may be required for proof of certification).

NOTE: Smog certifications are not required for transfers that occur for a gasoline powered motor vehicle that is four or less model years old. (Determine the oldest-qualifying year model by subtracting three from the current year) the four or less model years old rule does not apply to diesel powered vehicles. A smog transfer fee will be collected from the new owner.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:34 PM
dugsgms74
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Ok sounds good. the 76 I have was previously SMOG in CA, but no equipment exists on the car now nor emissions labels. It is an L48 so it will need the A.I.R. system.
The real question I have here is what performance parts are really available to upgrade HP from the base L48 if all the old SMOG components are used? It would seem that even a new engine would not be beneficial as the components would constrict any performance added.
There may be stuff(heads, intake, cam, headers) available for performance that is smog legal, just look for stuff with a CARB E.O.# that applies to youre vehicle. Heads are gonna be youre best gains but truthfully, biggest problem is gonna be cam, you can put whatever you want as you cant tell from the exterior what cam you have but if you go too agressive youll have issues passing the tailpipe test due to HC emissions. Most of the smog stuff like EGR and air injection will have no effect on performance.

Get notified of new replies

To c3 Federal Vs. California Car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: c3 Federal Vs. California Car