C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 Vs a 434 Small Block

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:45 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Not my project, but certainly I wouldn't get caught up in bench racing mentality over 7 CID in a less than all-out racing for money engine build, especially at the cost of unnecessarily over-boring perfectly good cylinders. My $.02, YMMV.
Originally Posted by MotorHead
My general rule of thumb is if it doesn't need an overbore then leave it. That way the block is still good for more rebuilds. The HP gained in 7 cubes is miniscule compared to the HP you are going to make with those heads and a solid roller cam.
I guess the older I get, the live for today axiom instead of worrying about a potential rebuild becomes more important to me. I agree to anyone who is on a tight budget, the gains to be had are definitely not worth the cost of new pistons. I intend to sell all my low mile parts including my completion ported 210cc AFR heads as soon as i have her on the road again.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

I understand what you are saying but it is an expensive Little M block. What you are doing is losing one life of it by going 30 over. I had a 400 OEM block and went 10 over to clean it up and then 30 over the next time and the engine is still running today with another rebuild possible, sorry but it does not make any sense to me, just my opinion that's all and I would rather say I have a 427ci in my Vette than a 434ci.

I hope you put it on a dyno that thing is going to make some impressive power
Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

I understand what you are saying but it is an expensive Little M block. What you are doing is losing one life of it by going 30 over. I had a 400 OEM block and went 10 over to clean it up and then 30 over the next time and the engine is still running today with another rebuild possible, sorry but it does not make any sense to me, just my opinion that's all and I would rather say I have a 427ci in my Vette than a 434ci.

Theoretically I have one life still left on the block but I understand what you are saying. If I raced her etc. I never would have done it. Of course I will still tell people it is a 427!
Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Paul, thanks for the pic. I contacted Milodon and they recommended a slightly different pan than that for me. I haven't taken it out of the box yet but I believe it is a 6 quart unit with the windage tray bolted into the pan #30908). Is that an older pic of your car? I thought you had an after market cross member? I am going with the BTO unit. I will need to spend some time dialing in my drive line angles as well.
Danny and Chris have not fabbed me up the new crossmember yet... they have been to busy finishing up Derick Colman's Baja truck, and getting it ready for a photo shoot for an off road magazine... so, in the next 2 weeks... We will fab a new radiator fan shroud, rebuild my rear-end with the new parts and maybe my new cross member... just so much gong on for a hobby....

Milidon... The pan i run has baffles and gates,,, with a separate windage screen.

31505 The hot tip for road racing due to trap door baffle system is to provide adequate oil supply on left & right turns. Proven highly effective in SCCA and other competition. Also great for very low Camaro, Chevelles and Covette in all applications including road race to drag race.
Pan Capacity is 7 Quarts Plus Filter-

10" Sump Length, 7 5/8" Sump Depth

Left Hand Dipstick, up to 1979 block 31505

Chevy Screen

THE "DIAMOND STRIPPER" WINDAGE TRAY
The most sophisticated windage tray available today! This exclusive Milodon design features hundreds and hundreds of small louvers that quickly scavenge oil from crankshaft rotation, but prevents reversion common to screen-type windage trays. This is a completely finished, gold irradiated part that does not require additional fitting. And it flat works! Extensive dynometers and on-track testing verifies that Milodon "Diamond Stripper" windage trays out-perform all other screen type trays on the market.
These trays will fit both the Small Block Chevy 350 and 400 main cap bolt pattern. They will also fit right and left hand dipstick engines, as when adjusted properly the dipstick will pass underneath the tray.

SB Chevy - 350 & 400 32250

this

very much would like to see how the bigger heads and cam run as compared to my 427.... such a similar build:-)
Old 10-20-2014, 03:50 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by pauldana
Danny and Chris have not fabbed me up the new crossmember yet... they have been to busy finishing up Derick Colman's Baja truck, and getting it ready for a photo shoot for an off road magazine... so, in the next 2 weeks... We will fab a new radiator fan shroud, rebuild my rear-end with the new parts and maybe my new cross member... just so much gong on for a hobby....

Milidon... The pan i run has baffles and gates,,, with a separate windage screen.

31505 The hot tip for road racing due to trap door baffle system is to provide adequate oil supply on left & right turns. Proven highly effective in SCCA and other competition. Also great for very low Camaro, Chevelles and Covette in all applications including road race to drag race.
Pan Capacity is 7 Quarts Plus Filter-

10" Sump Length, 7 5/8" Sump Depth

Left Hand Dipstick, up to 1979 block 31505

Chevy Screen

THE "DIAMOND STRIPPER" WINDAGE TRAY
The most sophisticated windage tray available today! This exclusive Milodon design features hundreds and hundreds of small louvers that quickly scavenge oil from crankshaft rotation, but prevents reversion common to screen-type windage trays. This is a completely finished, gold irradiated part that does not require additional fitting. And it flat works! Extensive dynometers and on-track testing verifies that Milodon "Diamond Stripper" windage trays out-perform all other screen type trays on the market.
These trays will fit both the Small Block Chevy 350 and 400 main cap bolt pattern. They will also fit right and left hand dipstick engines, as when adjusted properly the dipstick will pass underneath the tray.

SB Chevy - 350 & 400 32250

this

very much would like to see how the bigger heads and cam run as compared to my 427.... such a similar build:-)
Paul-

Following your build inspired me to freshen up my engine even though there probably is only 10,000 miles on that engine. (somebody is going to make out like a bandit when I decide to sell the existing components) I guess if I am to follow in your foot steps, I better plan on a rear diff upgrade at some point. The builder has an engine dyno and the plan is to tune it there. going to stick with a conventional carb for now. The builder makes his money from building engines for professional car and boat racing teams plus for car magazines. Hopefully he can squeeze me in and I can at least get the engine completed before the end of the year. Tony Mamo did the heads, cam any mildly ported the Titan intake for me. The heads are too pretty to put on an engine. He was great to work with and held my hand through the entire process.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:51 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
......I contacted Milodon and they recommended a slightly different pan than that for me. I haven't taken it out of the box yet but I believe it is a 6 quart unit with the windage tray bolted into the pan #30908)........
I have the Milodon #30908 6 qt. pan and am very satisfied with it. I like its integral windage tray. It's geared more for street/strip drag racing applications, while Paul's is more toward road racing, but both are excellent pans for C3s.

Mine.......Milodon Stroker Low Profile #30908

Old 10-20-2014, 04:00 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Received 93 Likes on 57 Posts

The SBC Crank case area was designed for max stroke of 3.75" Anytime you up the stroke over this you need to run a 2" kickout on the passenger side to reduce windage.

The oil pan is the only non-moving part that will destroy an engine if not correct.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:01 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
Paul-

Following your build inspired me to freshen up my engine even though there probably is only 10,000 miles on that engine. (somebody is going to make out like a bandit when I decide to sell the existing components) I guess if I am to follow in your foot steps, I better plan on a rear diff upgrade at some point. The builder has an engine dyno and the plan is to tune it there. going to stick with a conventional carb for now. The builder makes his money from building engines for professional car and boat racing teams plus for car magazines. Hopefully he can squeeze me in and I can at least get the engine completed before the end of the year. Tony Mamo did the heads, cam any mildly ported the Titan intake for me. The heads are too pretty to put on an engine. He was great to work with and held my hand through the entire process.
Thoes are very big heads, and a bigger cam than i have also.... i would be a bit worried about bottom end even with a 427..

Very excited to see your dyno.... love to see builds like this,,,, now i wish a little i would of went bigger in CI:-).

AFR states right on there web site, :::::

Warning:
Use extreme caution if you choose to port this part. Porting may irreversibly damage your manifold if great care is not used and doing so may void your warranty. Always leave at least .080” between the port entrance and the gasket groove .... FYI

Last edited by pauldana; 10-20-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:32 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Thoes are very big heads, and a bigger cam than i have also.... i would be a bit worried about bottom end even with a 427..

Look at the flow numbers of your competition ported 220's compared to the out of the box 245's at the lift your cam has. You did good!

There is always someone faster with deeper pockets. You will have a lot of fun with your build if you can keep the driveline together.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:01 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Very excited to see your dyno.... love to see builds like this,,,, now i wish a little i would of went bigger in CI:-).

AFR states right on there web site, :::::

Warning:
Use extreme caution if you choose to port this part. Porting may irreversibly damage your manifold if great care is not used and doing so may void your warranty. Always leave at least .080” between the port entrance and the gasket groove .... FYI
Thanks for the heads up, Tony either works or has worked for AFR and knows AFR components well. I will pass on your information.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by StraubTech
The SBC Crank case area was designed for max stroke of 3.75" Anytime you up the stroke over this you need to run a 2" kickout on the passenger side to reduce windage.

The oil pan is the only non-moving part that will destroy an engine if not correct.
Chris-
I spoke with Milodon directly and questioned them about the kicked out rails for a stroked application. He said he owns a C3 and is very familiar with their design. Milodon apparently does not make one that will fit a C3. I am sure there are custom units out there. Are you saying that without kicked out rails the engine will fail?

Last edited by KJL; 10-20-2014 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:07 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 63mako

Look at the flow numbers of your competition ported 220's compared to the out of the box 245's at the lift your cam has. You did good!

There is always someone faster with deeper pockets. You will have a lot of fun with your build if you can keep the driveline together.
I tried to respond to your PM but your box is full.....
Old 10-20-2014, 05:11 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Originally Posted by KJL
Chris-
I spoke with Milodon directly and questioned them about the kicked out rails for a stroked application. He said he owns a C3 and is very familiar with their design. Milodon apparently does not make one that will fit a C3. I am sure their are custom units out there. Are you saying that without kicked out rails the engine will fail?
It is not a question of IF it is a question of When it will fail.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:17 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Do you know of any units that will fit a C3? A while back you gave me a link to look at, I emailed them and asked if they knew if their Chevy pan would specifically fit a C3. I did not hear back from them. I am sure it is not easy for these custom shops be familiar with every application.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:00 PM
StraubTech
Drifting

Originally Posted by KJL
Do you know of any units that will fit a C3? A while back you gave me a link to look at, I emailed them and asked if they knew if their Chevy pan would specifically fit a C3. I did not hear back from them. I am sure it is not easy for these custom shops be familiar with every application.
Stef's does. Mr Stef has 3 C2's and 2 C3's.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:29 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by KJL
I tried to respond to your PM but your box is full.....
Sorry, had a couple PM's come in. It is cleaned out now.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:17 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 608 Likes on 403 Posts

Shafiroff, American Speed, and other well known crate engine builders (who warranty their strokers) all offer them with stock style no kickout pans. Does this mean they are all doomed to fail?......

Get notified of new replies

To 427 Vs a 434 Small Block

Old 10-21-2014, 08:50 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Stef's does. Mr Stef has 3 C2's and 2 C3's.
I looked at Stef's web site and he did not have any applications for corvettes specifically. The only option he offered for stroker motors we notches in the pans. I didn't see any pans for wet sump applications with kicked out rails for that matter. I sent Joe an email to see if they have such a pan for my application and said you referred them to me. Wow...he just emailed me back and said they do and to call him. Will let you know how it goes...
Old 10-21-2014, 09:31 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Originally Posted by KJL
I looked at Stef's web site and he did not have any applications for corvettes specifically. The only option he offered for stroker motors we notches in the pans. I didn't see any pans for wet sump applications with kicked out rails for that matter. I sent Joe an email to see if they have such a pan for my application and said you referred them to me. Wow...he just emailed me back and said they do and to call him. Will let you know how it goes...
Stef's uses a base part number then builds to application. I will send you a PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 AM
StraubTech
Drifting

Originally Posted by C3 Stroker
Shafiroff, American Speed, and other well known crate engine builders (who warranty their strokers) all offer them with stock style no kickout pans. Does this mean they are all doomed to fail?......
Each offers an upgrade for the package in the form of kickout pan. The warranty....."black death" will pretty much get you out of any warranty on a crate engine. The warranties are handled by 3rd parties and if you are lucky to get through the paper work, pay to ship the engine back, wait for inspection....by the end of it your...well....worn out.

If your building one of these the supporting cast members are large headers and large oil pan.

Quick Reply: 427 Vs a 434 Small Block