C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on C3 reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 06:42 AM
JRHendo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on C3 reliability

Hi,
Some advice please: I'm Australian and have entered in the Trans Am rally for pre 1975 cars next year. One of my options is to ship a car across from Australia, but the freight isn't cheap.

I've always loved the 70-72 Corvettes so another option is to buy one when I'm back in Colorado in January, check it out and store it there until the rally.

My question is about reliability of 40yo Corvettes. If I buy one that checks out as mechanically sound, am I likely to have trouble over the next 10000 miles? There is some track work, but most of it is road speeds on tarmac or well graded gravel from Nova Scotia to San Francisco.

Any advice?

Regards

John H
Sydney, Australia
Old 08-28-2014, 07:10 AM
Marlin
Drifting

Any old car can have issues, let alone a performance car.

Things I have done or were done to my 73 that really helped are upgrading to O-rings in all the calipers (brake system) and replacing the factory steering system (2 options here). The rest should be the usual stuff older cars have problems with like rust, bad wiring, general drivetrain failure, etc...
Old 08-28-2014, 07:16 AM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Lotsa salt on many Colorado roads, double check everything metal!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:48 AM
zuendler
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

You will soon see if the car was maintained well by the owner or a shop. I would trust in such a car that also was driven often.
I would not trust in cars where you can see that the owner tried to save some bucks and did bubba-work to it.
You surely will make a test drive before purchase, this will tell you the rest you need to know. Liftetime of all the old components can noone tell you.
If you are not skilled in C3 things give it to a shop for a complete check before the rallye. It will cost some bucks but you will feel much saver.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHendo
Hi,

My question is about reliability of 40yo Corvettes. If I buy one that checks out as mechanically sound, am I likely to have trouble over the next 10000 miles?
Yes, without a doubt. All cars needed servicing at intervals of less than 10K miles when new, that won't have changed 40 years later. In those days there was a dealership in every little town plus corner garages everywhere that were fully equipped to service the cars of the era.

Not much of that support network still exists. You'll need to be much more resourceful in finding spares and repair facilities along the route.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:50 AM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Contact Lars in Colorado, he won't steer you wrong if he has a lead on a good car. I would completely trust his judgement on an out of state/country purchase. Good luck, it sounds like the trip of a lifetime.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 576 Likes on 459 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

id go with that.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:23 PM
brianPA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Not long after I bought my c3 a muffler fell off (rust), developed a stuck brake caliper (sludge), developed a squeak (ujoint), and some other stuff. If I knew better at the time how to look for these things I probably could have avoided most of it.

I have no regrets. Still glad I got it and drive it all the time.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:38 PM
JRHendo
Advanced

Originally Posted by briankeery
Contact Lars in Colorado, he won't steer you wrong if he has a lead on a good car. I would completely trust his judgement on an out of state/country purchase. Good luck, it sounds like the trip of a lifetime.

Hi,

Thanks for the advice? Who is Lars and how do I get in touch with him?

Regards

John H
Sydney, Australia
Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Lars is a forum member that goes by that 'handle' here on the C3 forum. He is a very valued friend to many a brother (and sister) here online; and is very useful when troubleshooting problems relating to fuel and ignition issues.....among other things.

If his PM mailbox is full on the forum, try reaching him through v8fastcars@msn.com

I'm sure when he gets in touch with you, you'll see what Myself and others are talking about.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:12 PM
pacecar620
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by briankeery
Lars is a forum member that goes by that 'handle' here on the C3 forum. He is a very valued friend to many a brother (and sister) here online; and is very useful when troubleshooting problems relating to fuel and ignition issues.....among other things.

If his PM mailbox is full on the forum, try reaching him through v8fastcars@msn.com

I'm sure when he gets in touch with you, you'll see what Myself and others are talking about.
Lars is THEE go-to man on carburetor and ignition issues.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:58 PM
76CSRvette
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

c3's are very reliable if well taken care of
Old 08-29-2014, 11:27 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Generally, there is nothing special about a C3 Vette: It's a plain ol' Chevy passenger car with a 'glass body and independent rear suspension (some people don't like to hear that...). The engine and tranny are as reliable as a Caprice Station wagon, so it will run for several hundred thousand miles with no issues, as long as the timing chain is good. Front end and steering is plain GM stuff with nothing special - no reliability issues, and it's bullet-proof.

The only reliability issue that can bite you is the rear suspension/driveline. Any car you take on a long trip should be checked for driveshaft u-joints and for half-shaft u-joints. The rear wheels should also be checked to make sure the wheel bearings are in good shape and in-spec on play. You don't want to be trying to fix rear wheel bearings on the side of the road. If the rear end issues are checked and corrected prior to a trip, the car will run without issues, providing the normal hoses/belts are good and the waterpump is in good shape. Check the brakes, and you're set to roll.

Lars
Old 08-29-2014, 06:50 PM
JRHendo
Advanced

Originally Posted by lars
Generally, there is nothing special about a C3 Vette: It's a plain ol' Chevy passenger car with a 'glass body and independent rear suspension (some people don't like to hear that...). The engine and tranny are as reliable as a Caprice Station wagon, so it will run for several hundred thousand miles with no issues, as long as the timing chain is good. Front end and steering is plain GM stuff with nothing special - no reliability issues, and it's bullet-proof.

The only reliability issue that can bite you is the rear suspension/driveline. Any car you take on a long trip should be checked for driveshaft u-joints and for half-shaft u-joints. The rear wheels should also be checked to make sure the wheel bearings are in good shape and in-spec on play. You don't want to be trying to fix rear wheel bearings on the side of the road. If the rear end issues are checked and corrected prior to a trip, the car will run without issues, providing the normal hoses/belts are good and the waterpump is in good shape. Check the brakes, and you're set to roll.

Lars
Thanks for that - good, sensible advice. After reading it, I watched a youtube on replacing the rear wheel bearings. Definitely something to do in the workshop!

Regards

John H
Sydney, Australia
Old 08-29-2014, 07:11 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Oh... one more reliability issue on the C2/C3 Vettes, also related to the rear end: The stub axles sticking out of the rear differential have a nasty tendency to chew themselves up on the thrust surface inside the rear differential. This results in excessive play (in-and-out) of these axle shafts, and rear wheel alignment becomes erratic. This excessive endplay is more common on the passenger side than the driver's side, and it's a real problem with the rear design on these cars. Always check it before buying a C2/C3 Vette - the rear diff needs to be dropped out of the car to fix this, so it's not a cheap fix if you have to pay someone to do it.

Lars
Old 08-30-2014, 12:54 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Oh... one more reliability issue on the C2/C3 Vettes, also related to the rear end: The stub axles sticking out of the rear differential have a nasty tendency to chew themselves up on the thrust surface inside the rear differential. This results in excessive play (in-and-out) of these axle shafts, and rear wheel alignment becomes erratic. This excessive endplay is more common on the passenger side than the driver's side, and it's a real problem with the rear design on these cars. Always check it before buying a C2/C3 Vette - the rear diff needs to be dropped out of the car to fix this, so it's not a cheap fix if you have to pay someone to do it.

Lars
What's done to adjust this end play Lars?

oops!
Old 08-30-2014, 01:23 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

My 30 year old vette door decided it wasn't going to latch today
Stupid things can happen but they are durable cars! As mentioned above, if the brakes have any sign of age.... Replace it all! The good news is most parts are reasonable.
Next would be the condition of the bushings ...all the bushings. If you have a bad one, it will make the car handle funny.
I assuming you will go through the usual checks for rust, belts , tires, battery, fuel tank, oil leaks, clutch , or auto trans function.
Good luck, you'll have a blast! If it was me, the 4 speed converted to a 5 speed overdrive makes for the best all around racer!

Get notified of new replies

To Advice on C3 reliability

Old 08-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

I can't imagine buying a 40 year old car and expecting it to be ready for a 10K mile trip without going through every last nut and bolt.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:34 PM
JRHendo
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
I can't imagine buying a 40 year old car and expecting it to be ready for a 10K mile trip without going through every last nut and bolt.
I'd certainly crawl all over it and check everything that I possibly can. I was more concerned about the reliability of things that I won't have the time or ability to check - basically the power train. When I did the Sydney London rally in a 1974 Volvo earlier this year, we rebuilt or renewed absolutely everything in the car from the headlights to the brake lights and everything in between. I won't be able to do that if I buy a Corvette - hence seeking the wisdom of this forum on reliability of the major parts.

Regards

John H
Sydney, Australia
Old 08-30-2014, 04:54 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by JRHendo
When I did the Sydney London rally in a 1974 Volvo earlier this year, we rebuilt or renewed absolutely everything in the car from the headlights to the brake lights and everything in between. I won't be able to do that if I buy a Corvette - hence seeking the wisdom of this forum on reliability of the major parts.
I'd worry just as much about the minor parts. A 5 cent bolt or electrical connector can stop you dead as easily as a $1000 big part.

These cars (any car) are way past their design life at 40+ years.

Quick Reply: Advice on C3 reliability