C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 vert resto mod advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Default 68 vert resto mod advice

I'm considering a few options for a radical resto mod project

a BB 496 build with an M3 Procharger (looking better all the time)
a TT 4.8 LS motor, have that

what tranny (can I go "rear mount c5/c6 style)

or front mount (currently have a 350 auto, but not beefy enough for the power)

I'm trying to do somthing fairly radical in terms of HP up around 800 at the tire or potentially a bit more

I might also lower the HP goals so I can use an automatic (my knees are shot, no more stick for me!!)

so here is where the "radical" part comes in. I'm looking to "back half" the car and potentially use a c6 rear suspension with either a 6l80E ro 4l56e tranny. I'm aware of the limitations of the 6 spd but I have it already along with a complete c6 rear suspension and cradle. at carlilse this year I was looking at all the resto mod frames and some of the vendors do indeed incorporate the torq tube style drivetrain but it involves cutting out the drive shaft tunnel and losing seat and let room due to the difference in the floor plan

the other way is to go with a dana 44 or other high strength center section and solid mount the frame with either a cut down batwing or a full bat wing with a solid mount for the front. the street shop boys came out with a hammer T casting that has mount points on either side of the front of the housing and is much stronger but it's pricey!!

so my first idea is to trying and "balk half" the 68 frame and use round tubine with brackets to mount up the c6 cradle. that will give me the complete rear suspension.

for the front, I'm not going as radical and will by the van steel coilovers and control arms or something similar to save weight on the front

trying to get a c3 to be better balanced by moving more weight to the back but keep the car overall as light as possible

I believe I can mount up the 4L65E to the c6 cradle, not sure yet about axles.

if I could use the 6 spd auto, and maybe just go with lower HP at the tire that is a preferred alternative.

it looks like the only decent controllers might be a stock ecm from a 2006 vette can you run the ecm JUST for tranny control if it's getting a TPS and other signals needed??? that one might cause some expensive headaches. I think PCS might have a standalone tranny controller which is MUCH needed

can you also mount the 4l65E tranny to the c5 cradle? I have one of those trannies too and am more familiar with "hot rodding" them to hold the hp

if the whole crazy c6 suspension idea wont work (it's a project for sure!!) what are some good alternatives to beef up the rear???

not looking to spend much over 4k max on the rear end either way

I can also go with the full torq tube if needed but from what I understand it's some major surgery to the tranny/driveshaft tunnel and floor boards

anyone ever hang a c3 body on a c5 frame??? the c5 rollers are getting cheaper all the time

so many options, help me decide!!
Old 08-28-2014, 06:33 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Get an SRIII frame made and have them put in one of their bullit proof rears. Does not sound like money is to much of an issue but do it right the first time and you will be light years ahead of anything to do with the C3 frame. You can use modern steering systems and C5/C6 front suspension along with a good built rear suspension. They will even narrow everything so you can run some serious rubber at the rear. Contact Mike at SRIII. He is very good at building what you need.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:49 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

thanks Gordon! I looked very hard at both the SR III frames and the Street Shop setups at Carlisle

they both have competatively priced products

I have a c6 rear suspension and I believe all of them can accomodate that

I also have some c4 stuff lying around, a dana 44 with viper gears out of my ZR-1, dog bones, rear training arm, ect...

the "hot tip" seemed to be the street shop hammer T dana 44 rear that has the "c beam" mounting pads on both sides and a much stronger case

right now they are only selling it as a complete monster rear

If I scrounge up the parts and can afford the frame, it looks like the way to go. I think I might go back to "c4 land" and use the dana rear and a c4 style rear suspension as those parts are indeed getting cheaper

for this particiular vert, I think I'm going another direction this winter.

I'm going to drop in the 496 BB, with a nice 700-R4 beefed to the hilt, and put a fiber class rear spring in it, some nice Corbeau racing seats, and call it a day.

this car just screams "old school" with the older black center torq thrust rims and hoosier tires.

this won't be nearly as fancy, but it will get me some needed capital to buy the frame for my next build.

I think I'll go 80-82 next go around as they are cheap and no one seems to love them anymore

thanks for the great advice!! still pursuing my ultimate dream which is splicing a c6 rear frame onto a c3 but as many have advised, time you pay for the setup jig, labor and futzin around with it, you'll have just as much wrapped up in cost as the "easy tried and true method"

maybe I can talk street shops into looking into this approach and custom build me a frame!! that would be the bomb

Get notified of new replies

To 68 vert resto mod advice

Quick Reply: 68 vert resto mod advice