C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo 400 kickdown problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:11 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Turbo 400 kickdown problem

Hello all!
I am having a problem with the Turbo 400 kickdown in my '69. It doesn't. When I push the throttle down hard in 3rd gear it won't downshift to second. I know that this is and electrical function so I checked to see that the wire is plugged into the side of the transmission and it is. The trans shifts beautifully and has recently been gone through as part of an engine overhaul project and all is good. Any thoughts as to where to look next? I will check the switch under the accelerator pedal, and the connection at the fuse box. Any advise you can give me would be appreciated.
Jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Ontario73
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Its likely an issue with the switch on the peddle. Sorry, you will have to become a contortionist or practice yoga, but, you will need to take a look up under the dash...

Check to make sure the connector on the switch is clean and fully connected. If it is, you can try adjusting it (yes they are adjustable).

Take a look at how it works when the peddle is pushed down. Push firmly on the end of the slide that comes out the rear of the switch (when you depress the peddle), push toward the engine. You should hear a slight click and the switch will push further forward than it was. Now just depress the gas peddle to the floor once and this will set the switch. Take it for a test drive and see if you have it working. If it still doesn't down shift you may need a new switch; the adjustment procedure is described in the replacement switch instructions.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:30 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Have you verified that the kick-down switch is good at all by manually actuating the switch by hand and checking the other end of the wire at the transmission switch with the wire removed??? AND I assume you have checked for 12 volts also the kick-down switch.

I have also slid a section of rubber hose (3/8"id) on the plastic shaft of the kick-down switch and it then contacts the accelerator pedal when pressed...thus making it switch a bit sooner....if not operate correctly....as a 'quick test'...and then see if the switch can be adjusted or actually leave the rubber hose there and drive it. Also I have run into cars not allow it to switch due to floor mats under the pedal....and also on cars like yours where the accelerator pedal needs to be modified because when the accelerator pedal is pushed all the way to the floor....the carburetor is not being opened all the way on the primaries.

DUB
Old 08-29-2014, 07:38 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Thanks to both of you for your responses. I know it is a tight fit under there as I have been there before. I will check the switch adjustment.
DUB- I like your idea of the rubber hose over the slide to quicken the kickdown. The accelerator linkage is working perfectly (the floor mat is not in the way) as the secondaries open as they should. I have checked the position of the throttle plates and this is good. I have not checked for 12 volts at the other end of the wire as you suggest and will do that as well.
Thanks again!
jeff
Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Inside the trans. pan there is a solenoid that can fail. It is of course hooked to the wire DUB mentioned. If you have voltage but no down shift the solenoid or a blockage of the solenoid gasket area is the next area to look at. I have seen auto. trans have problems due to lint from shop rags. A recent rebuild could have a small piece of foreign material blocking the solenoid port. Just what I have seen. Good luck with it. mike...
Old 09-02-2014, 09:52 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Default Problem solved!

Thanks all for your help. The accelerator lever was not touching the switch pin. The switch was adjusted as far as it could go. Something under there is obviously worn. I placed a narrow magnet on the lever and a piece of hose on the pin and now the transmission will drop into second just before the secondaries open or, if I push pedal a little further, it will downshift and the secondaries will open giving great acceleration. All is well. Thanks again!
Jeff
Old 09-02-2014, 10:45 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 829 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffstuarts
Thanks all for your help. The accelerator lever was not touching the switch pin. The switch was adjusted as far as it could go. Something under there is obviously worn. I placed a narrow magnet on the lever and a piece of hose on the pin and now the transmission will drop into second just before the secondaries open or, if I push pedal a little further, it will downshift and the secondaries will open giving great acceleration. All is well. Thanks again!
Jeff
If you really had to do all that with it adjusted all the way something is amiss and I would look at replacing the switch or you maybe fighting it again soon.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:40 AM
JimT
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can actually hear the tranny kickdown (détente) switch operate. Key in ignition, turn key to acc position, depress accelerator to floor and have someone listen under the car tranny. This verifies switch operation.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
If you really had to do all that with it adjusted all the way something is amiss and I would look at replacing the switch or you maybe fighting it again soon.
You are right that something is wrong under there but I don't think it is the switch. I think that the accelerator linkage/assembly has some wear at the the joints and is sloppy. I'll get to that after the driving season but now it operates as it should.
Jeff
Old 09-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Mashman
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After years of stomping the throttle linkage becomes bent.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...kage-pics.html
Old 09-03-2014, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

It can be a 50/50 shot on if I have to remove the accelerator pedal and heat and re-bend it so I get a full throttle. AS I wrote in a 'round-about' way in post #3.

DUB
Old 09-03-2014, 08:50 PM
jeffstuarts
Instructor

Originally Posted by DUB
It can be a 50/50 shot on if I have to remove the accelerator pedal and heat and re-bend it so I get a full throttle. AS I wrote in a 'round-about' way in post #3.

DUB
DUB,
I have verified that I am getting full throttle opening and the secondaries are opening fully as they are supposed to. Kickdown is working perfectly.
Jeff
Old 05-03-2016, 10:27 AM
Jcpstrat
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 44 Posts

I know this is an old post but just thought I'd add the instructions from the GM Service Manual for my '74, for the TH400 transmission kick-down switch, since the switch I purchased didn't come with any instructions. And yes it is a pain to change if you've never done it before ... much easier after knowing what's involved. I only had to remove the driver side AC duct.

The manual says: "After installing the switch, press the switch plunger
as far forward as possible. This presets the switch for adjustment. The switch will then adjust itself with the first wide open throttle application of the accelerator pedal."

When I pushed the switch plunger I could hear it clicking as I depressed it ... sort of like a ratcheting sound. I heard it click the first time I pumped the gas and it's working fine!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:04 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Thanks for "dusting this thread off"......hopefully I will be needing the info soon to adjust my new switch.

Get notified of new replies

To Turbo 400 kickdown problem

Quick Reply: Turbo 400 kickdown problem