C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

grounds for lighting

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:36 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Default grounds for lighting

I had prior thread looking for help with left signal light on dash lighting with parking lights and headlights on.Signal doesnt work with lights on. Told to check grounds and replaced front parking light housing. test light lights when grounding housing against bumper- makes light much brighter but still no help. I noticed yesterday that when brake lights are pushed on, the left rear is nowhere near as bright as the right side. Could my grounding problem be in the rear light housings ? I believe each is grounded individually- not anywhere near an electrical genius so help is needed!!! Thanks Paul
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I think all tha tail light grounds are strung together in the harness on a single wire, then connected to the frame back there on the drivers side. Up front on yours I don't know for sure but might be on the rad support. If you get a brighter light with the ground on the bumper its telling you you have a ground problem there. Run down where the ground wire goes from the socket and make sure its solid.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:04 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Newt- I sure sounds like you have a grounding issue. The tail lamp housings can have multiple issues too. It could be a broken wire to the lamp, it could be corrosion where the terminal attaches to the lamp and it could also be the brass insert corroded between it and the lamp housing.

About the best advice I can offer you is to get back there with a test light connected to the connector and touch the housing first and then brass insert to make sure you have a good ground.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:18 AM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default signal lights

ok ready to tackle this once and for all. just amazes me the signals work fine when the headlight/parking lights are off. Will use your schematic and trace it down-- Willcox we need to talk some more about wiper motor after this!!!! Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 11:44 AM
dpw21562
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there a list of all the grounds on an "80"? New main ground, new charge wire, new starter/battery cable, new. alternator. But not charging, only 13 v. On meter and DVM. .????
Old 09-01-2014, 07:51 PM
pnewt
Burning Brakes

Default signal

compared wiring from right side to the affected left side and found nothing amiss. I took the bulb out of the socket and signals worked fine with no light on in dash, I think this is the location of the problem. The socket,bulb are new- wiring had been cut and repaired. I checked the connections and they seem to be fine. again when I ground the housing now- the light goes off. A few days ago, adding a ground made the light brighter??? Do I need to give up now?
Old 09-02-2014, 11:52 AM
94hokies
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went through dealing with one of the four tail lights being dimmer, it was a weak ground and as said the ground is a sting. I added an extra ground wire from the frame and cleaned up the connections. Got that one working and one of the others dimmed, cleaned up that one and in the process broke the wire between it and the next light killing the string. A good 8 hours under the back end yesterday fixing grounds and a leaking fuel sender.

Don't know if it is bubba or the factory design, but the eye for the ground wire was just slipped over the stud and held with a nut. Since the other side of the eye is against fiberglass, the only contact is the eye to nut side and any loose contact between the eye and the stud. I went ahead and replaced that setup with a nut on each side of the eye.

Get notified of new replies

To grounds for lighting

Quick Reply: grounds for lighting