C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing 80 Corvette Windshield Trim

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 05:44 PM
dyanisis2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Installing 80 Corvette Windshield Trim

Hello all! Does anyone know of a write up for re-installing the windshield trim moldings? I'm not sure what kind of sealants/caulks to use, etc. I really don't want it leaking again. I have the Assembly Manual, purchased from Willcox, however I'm still not quite sure how it's done. One specific question, do the T Molding and the upper windshield molding both snap into the clips? I thought it was just the upper windshield molding but the assembly manual indicates otherwise. Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 09:54 PM
Gale Banks 80'
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 312 Posts

The Moldings have nothing to due with sealing the Windshield and are only held on by the clips. If the Clips are rusted out replacements can be installed. There are two ways to install the Windshield it self. Tape and glue. The Car left St Luis with Tape but most use Glue today since all modern cars are done way and that's what glass shops do all day long. When doing tape you do a dry run and install the glass and trim and see how bad everything fits. Then You can shim the glass and start bending the clips and moldings till You get it looking OK. With Glue You just go for it, lay a heavy bead of glue and install the glass and trim as fast as You can and hope that You can bend trim and move the glass around before the glue sets up.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:14 PM
dyanisis2
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gale Banks 80'
The Moldings have nothing to due with sealing the Windshield and are only held on by the clips. If the Clips are rusted out replacements can be installed. There are two ways to install the Windshield it self. Tape and glue. The Car left St Luis with Tape but most use Glue today since all modern cars are done way and that's what glass shops do all day long. When doing tape you do a dry run and install the glass and trim and see how bad everything fits. Then You can shim the glass and start bending the clips and moldings till You get it looking OK. With Glue You just go for it, lay a heavy bead of glue and install the glass and trim as fast as You can and hope that You can bend trim and move the glass around before the glue sets up.
Thanks for the reply. As far as the windshield, I'm going to have a local glass shop re-install it for me. I pulled it out myself so I could clean up the pillars and header. I also installed new molding clips. I noticed when I removed the moldings and windshield that the channels around it were basically full of some type of sealant, along with seals around the t trim, etc. Once the windshield itself is re-installed, I'm not sure how to go about installing all the molding. I'm assuming I need foam strips, sealant of some type, etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing 80 Corvette Windshield Trim

Quick Reply: Installing 80 Corvette Windshield Trim