C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L99/6L80 wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 02:57 PM
tsandrew
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply.. but it's an INPUT to the ECM from a manual trans. I have the 6L80 (auto) so it's questionable whether or not my ECM even has a backup light input.

But if you have any ideas about other solutions/switches/fabbing up stuff, fire away. I am open to any and all ideas on this...

Originally Posted by Shark Racer
Can't you use that to ground the reverse circuit, or at least tie it into a another switch or relay? Most likely the latter as the ECM most likely won't be able to handle the current / voltage of the reverse lights on its own.
Old 09-19-2014, 05:02 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by tsandrew
Thanks for the reply.. but it's an INPUT to the ECM from a manual trans. I have the 6L80 (auto) so it's questionable whether or not my ECM even has a backup light input.

But if you have any ideas about other solutions/switches/fabbing up stuff, fire away. I am open to any and all ideas on this...
Unfortunately, I don't have a 6L80E wiring diagram handy nor am I familiar with the shifter linkage. I'd imagine there's a pair of wires coming off or near the NSS that close circuit for reverse on it.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:28 PM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Have no idea what shifter or linkage you are using. You could put something as simple as a brake pedal switch on a bracket, and use it with a relay. Vendors like Lokar have generic neutral safety and reverse switches from places like Speedway.
http://www.hotrodhotline.com/content...ark-hot-rod-md
Old 09-20-2014, 12:27 AM
tsandrew
Advanced

Y'all are being so helpful! Here's the shifter I'm using. The Z-bar (linkage) will probably be cut and re-welded if necessary to line up with the hole on the shifter. This is the main thing, a stock 2012 Camaro auto shifter.

Last pic shows the "PARK" switch they have on there (purple and black wires coming out), a simple safety switch that engages when the spring-loaded shifter goes into the PARK position. I'll probably put another of the same kind of switch right next to it, so that it depresses when the shifter is in REVERSE... probably glue it with some 3M Automix and hope for the best. Thoughts?

PARK switch.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

What do those wires coming out of the unit that is directly left of the rod just below the rod switch do? I bet there's a pair of wires in there that close loop in park - a reverse switch.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The thread on oil pressure/VVT delete
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...-pressure.html

Btw, I added a switch like that for reverse on a T10. They come with holes for screw mounts. If you need a few, let me know
Old 09-21-2014, 10:01 AM
74modified
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a 6 speed manual from a 2010 Camaro and it has a switch. I would guess that the Camaro Body control module controls the reverse lights. I would check all of the wiring on your shifter and transmission one more time, because the BCM must get a signal from some source.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:53 AM
tsandrew
Advanced

Originally Posted by 74modified
I have a 6 speed manual from a 2010 Camaro and it has a switch. I would guess that the Camaro Body control module controls the reverse lights. I would check all of the wiring on your shifter and transmission one more time, because the BCM must get a signal from some source.

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I've been trawling the webs for any sort of BCM and 6L80 wiring diagrams, but so far no luck on identifying a reverse switch in any. My initial assumption (wrong) was that since the transmission has wires going back to the ECM, the ECM should "know" what gear the transmission is in.
But if it comes down to buying a BCM ($$$) and working through the whole Camaro body wiring harness or putting on a simple switch like Gary suggested above, I'll probably go with the switch.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:37 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tsandrew

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I've been trawling the webs for any sort of BCM and 6L80 wiring diagrams, but so far no luck on identifying a reverse switch in any. My initial assumption (wrong) was that since the transmission has wires going back to the ECM, the ECM should "know" what gear the transmission is in.
But if it comes down to buying a BCM ($$$) and working through the whole Camaro body wiring harness or putting on a simple switch like Gary suggested above, I'll probably go with the switch.
I went through the service manuals I have, looked at an 09 CTS and a 09 Avalanche and couldn't find anything obvious, but I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the connector that goes straight to the trans. There's a chance that something internal controls it, like when the reverse clutch is engaged or something to that effect.

Not as easy as looking at one of the older wiring diagrams, for sure!
Old 09-21-2014, 02:44 PM
tsandrew
Advanced

Just got a ping from Brendan at LT1Swap. Great guy.

Not sure about copyright stuffs so I'll paraphrase. This is taken from the GM Service Manual.
Auto trans: TCM sends Reverse signal to BCM which sends voltage to light backup lamps.
Manual trans: ECM sends signal to BCM which sends voltage to backup lamps.

Time to start trawling for TCM diagrams... thanks all for your replies and time.

Quick Reply: L99/6L80 wiring question...