C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pro's and cons of sidepipes

Old 09-02-2014, 01:00 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

No off-the-shelf header is tuned to best suit every application to which it might be fitted. For that kind of match you'd need full customs...

edit - I've retracted the balance of this post due to having posted erroneous info while typing under the influence of prescription meds. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 09-02-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 02:47 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Better ground clearance than undercar exhaust. Less interior heat.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:21 PM
drkness01
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from dual exhaust to side pipes a few months ago. I recorded a ~10 degree drop in interior temps after a 30 min drive test. Outside temps 88-90 both days, same driving route.

The sound is great and after the first burn you quickly learn how to get out of the car. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old and they both know not to touch the sidepipes. I plan on getting a set of covers after I do a repaint.

My build partner just put a set of fiberglass covers on his and mounted a string of LEDs under the covers. Blue along the length and a short string of orange at the exit. It looks freakin sweet.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:23 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

The Hooker side-mounts do have equal length primaries, 2.125 x 45 IIRC
ah, yes forgot they are bigger primaries for the BBC. 1 7/8" for the SBC.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:19 PM
bashcraft
Le Mans Master

Received 109 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
No off-the-shelf header is tuned to best suit every application to which it might be fitted. For that kind of match you'd need full customs...

The Hooker side-mounts do have equal length primaries, 2.125 x 45 IIRC. This certainly qualifies them as long-tube headers, which produce stronger mid to high RPM power, as was intended when they were developed for racing. So, no, they aren't necessarily going to be the best match for a low-end torque build. Apparently, since the BBC is so well known for its stump-pulling capabilities at relatively low RPMs, it is often overlooked by those focused on lower end torque that a true hi-perf/racing BBC really does its best work above 4000.
Long tube headers do increase low end torque, not high end power.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:43 PM
mvette76
Racer

like I said earlier not concerned with noise just the performance side of the equation. my big block pull 576 tq 567 hp on the dyno so my current exhaust is not big enough 2 1/2 compression bent and when I brought it up to get the new headers and my old exhaust hooked up they used 2 1/4 inch pipe and crushed the hell out of it to get it lined up with the crossmember. ill see if I can get some pics of it later tonight
Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 PM
waljr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drkness01
I went from dual exhaust to side pipes a few months ago. I recorded a ~10 degree drop in interior temps after a 30 min drive test. Outside temps 88-90 both days, same driving route.

The sound is great and after the first burn you quickly learn how to get out of the car. I have a 7 year old and a 2 year old and they both know not to touch the sidepipes. I plan on getting a set of covers after I do a repaint.

My build partner just put a set of fiberglass covers on his and mounted a string of LEDs under the covers. Blue along the length and a short string of orange at the exit. It looks freakin sweet.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM
FF273
Advanced

With all this said,I am looking for a set for my 69 feel free to PM me is anyone is selling.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:39 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 566 Likes on 453 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

ff273 look for OBX on ebay thats probably the best deal. and if you need em installed let me know I've got a guy close to you.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:15 PM
Amelio
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
It all depends on the type of muffler inserts one is running... I have the stainless obx sidepipes myself with 2 1/4 sweet thunder inserts and after burning my legs twice just working in the garage I decided to spend the $135 bucks for the pair of patriot 36" heat shields from summit, heat wrap and stainless 4.25 clamps to fab up insulated mounting brackets.

theses are cool to the touch even after driving for hours...

I am looking at these Patriot heat shields from Summit also.....at $47 a piece I am about to order them. They state they are replacements and do not come with mounting straps but that's easy.

I am scratching my head at them from the pic.....it just looks like a grated piece of metal....how do they adsorb the heat? Is there some kind of fiberglass matting on the underside that I cannot see in the pic?

i have no doubt they work from your statement but I am curious????

Oh and side pipes just plain kick ***! yes they are loud but they sure sound good at 7500RPM!....plus I only have one set of race baffles in mine so saying they are loud is an understatement
Old 09-02-2014, 07:17 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I don't have side pipes and I don't want them but one big advantage for them is that you don't have to drop the exhaust to get the trans crossmember out or the diff.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Captain bob
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One fact remains. Remember " the other guys" who kick the *** out of every corvette on the track.you know those guys who took a English sport car and put one of there engines in it.well they came in many colors but they all had tubular headers and sidepipes .you relly don't think they put them on to lose horsrpower do you?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
SLEEPERBUSA
Instructor

My side pipes are the Hooker black ones. I can only find the shields in stainless and chrome. Does anyone know where to look for the black or raw ones?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Captain bob
Racer

I was quite surprised when i bolted the headers up they completlely cleared the rocker panel with room to spare.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by bashcraft
Long tube headers do increase low end torque, not high end power.
Yes, yes they do.

Please to forgive my having confused the issue in my earlier post (retracted). I've been on pain meds all day today, waiting to go in for a root canal later this week. At least I was only driving a keyboard at the time...

Last edited by TheSkunkWorks; 09-02-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:44 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Amelio
I am looking at these Patriot heat shields from Summit also.....at $47 a piece I am about to order them. They state they are replacements and do not come with mounting straps but that's easy.

I am scratching my head at them from the pic.....it just looks like a grated piece of metal....how do they adsorb the heat? Is there some kind of fiberglass matting on the underside that I cannot see in the pic?

i have no doubt they work from your statement but I am curious????

Oh and side pipes just plain kick ***! yes they are loud but they sure sound good at 7500RPM!....plus I only have one set of race baffles in mine so saying they are loud is an understatement
I just used few few wraps around the pipe worth of header wrap and put the stainless clamp over that with the shield riveted to that...works very well and stays cool they don't absorb heat they keep you insulted from it.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:50 PM
mvette76
Racer

this is how low she hangs

Get notified of new replies

To pro's and cons of sidepipes

Old 09-02-2014, 09:55 PM
mvette76
Racer

Originally Posted by mvette76

this is how low she hangs

this how the front sits
Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 PM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Side pipes with any kind of baffles at all are horsepower killers! Without baffles they are stupid loud.

I like the way the factory Vette chambered side pipes sound but they are TERRIBLE for hp...

We just built a 500hp 396 for my dads 65' vert and its a side pipe car, I'm very tempted to build my own side pipes with a couple bullet mufflers on each side and use the stock tips, stock covers..

For a 576hp BBC, the ONLY true answer is a good 3" mandrel bent system and a tubular tranny crossmember from bowtie overdrives....Ofcourse use a good free flowing muffler like a magnaflow, ultraflow or PYPES RACEPRO.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:54 PM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEPERBUSA
My side pipes are the Hooker black ones. I can only find the shields in stainless and chrome. Does anyone know where to look for the black or raw ones?
This place has the black heat shields, powerportalproducts.com . They are great to work with and will custom cut the sheilds to however long you want them. I have a set of Doug's sidepipes with them on my BB and couldn't be happier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: pro's and cons of sidepipes