C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pro's and cons of sidepipes

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:37 PM
mvette76
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pro's and cons of sidepipes

I just swapped a 454 in my vette and not happy with my exhaust. definitely not happy with hooker super comp hanging as low as they are so I was looking at maybe some hooker side pipes or redoing my hole exhaust with 3" mandrel bent setup what kind of gains or losses with each type of system?
Old 09-01-2014, 04:45 PM
hugie82
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Loss of low end torque,Burnt legs , bad headache after long ride, tickets and polishing chrome.
Pro, wicked sound when ripping down the road and....... I got nothin
Old 09-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Big Block Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 78 Posts

I just went from stock manifolds and corvette central magna flow exhaust to Hooker side pipes w/ Classic Chambered Vettepacks.

If the car isn't faster than it used to be, it sure sounds like it is. I do also suspect that the car is snappier than it used to be.

Assumably, a car with full length under car headers would produce more power, however, its entirely possible that the rest of the under car exhaust has some bends that are narrower than other areas, perhaps hurting overall flow?

I also changed wheels at the same time, and so it is a shared reference when I leave you with this.... Since these changes, I have stated "If my car was like this when I bought it, I never would have stopped talking about it".
Old 09-01-2014, 05:38 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Default What cons?

Sound levels and power production with side-mount Hookers depends greatly on what inserts you run. With that in mind, I've never driven a BBC vette (have had 3 of them, all sticks) that had any problem generating low-end torque, whatever the exhaust. As for upkeep, there's always Jet Hot. And, if you're that worried about joining the Hooker Tattoo Club, Dean's Steel Shields will take care of that (Jet-Hot says their process will take on them too).

Lastly, Hooker side-mounts have the factor in spades.

Old 09-01-2014, 05:47 PM
mvette76
Racer

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Sound levels and power production with side-mount Hookers depends greatly on what inserts you run. With that in mind, I've never driven a BBC vette (have had 3 of them, all sticks) that had any problem generating low-end torque, whatever the exhaust. As for upkeep, there's always Jet Hot. And, if you're that worried about joining the Hooker Tattoo Club, Dean's Steel Shields will take care of that (Jet-Hot says their process will take on them too).

Lastly, Hooker side-mounts have the factor in spades.

I don't care about noise just don't want to loose any of the horse power I spend my hard earn dollars to get! with that said what is the best inserts for flow?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:07 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mvette76
I don't care about noise just don't want to loose any of the horse power I spend my hard earn dollars to get! with that said what is the best inserts for flow?
Generally, the louder ones. But, seriously, if you want to preserve performance you can forget the quieter "reverse flow" types.

MaxFlows are claimed to flow better than even straight open pipes, but I haven't had a chance to put that theory to the dyno test yet, as I plan on doing should I ever get my 427 redux completed. (Don't hold your breath, I'm about to tackle a frame-off first.) Among others that I figure ought to do pretty well are the 2.5" (opening) or larger Sweet Thunders. Also, Classic Chambered Exhaust apparently does custom inserts to order. The STS baffles are probably good, but a bit tinny to my ear. My $.02
Old 09-01-2014, 06:26 PM
qwank
Le Mans Master

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

pros:
sound great
more power
look awesome
better ground clearance than I had before

cons:
none. you won't burn yourself with the fiberglass covered version.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM
tektrans
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 220 Posts

I ditched my Hooker side pipes for a set of full length headers and the improvement was huge. MUCH better throttle response and low end power fwiw
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
zigvs
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

pros: cool,cool,loud,did I say cool
Cons :Loud,burnt legs on the non fiberglass cover ones,loud
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
zigvs
Racer

I'm putting them on
Old 09-01-2014, 08:07 PM
7t9l82
Le Mans Master

Received 574 Likes on 458 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

i love mine the ground clearance is good under the car is cooler with better access to everything its like these cars were meant to have them. you can tone them down with quieter inserts. what other system lets you change mufflers without getting under the car? a tip, coat your tubes with anti seize it helps them come apart easier. oh yes and they are
Old 09-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Captain bob
Racer

I wiish the hell i could burn my legs .i tried every possible way including long trips on hot days .the OBX pipes are warm but will not burn you at last 2 feet of sidepipe ( were you exit car) i have stock Fiberglass inserts as supplyfrom OBX. My 1967 convertble had hooker and would definitly burn your calf exiting car.i had 11 corvettes over the years and remove removed tubular headers from my 67 coupe (427 -435 hp) and installed hooker car was exactly the same speed ------- been there seen that i bourght my first vette 50 years ago
Old 09-01-2014, 09:41 PM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain bob
I wiish the hell i could burn my legs .i tried every possible way including long trips on hot days .the OBX pipes are warm but will not burn you at last 2 feet of sidepipe ( were you exit car) i have stock Fiberglass inserts as supplyfrom OBX. My 1967 convertble had hooker and would definitly burn your calf exiting car.i had 11 corvettes over the years and remove removed tubular headers from my 67 coupe (427 -435 hp) and installed hooker car was exactly the same speed ------- been there seen that i bourght my first vette 50 years ago
It all depends on the type of muffler inserts one is running... I have the stainless obx sidepipes myself with 2 1/4 sweet thunder inserts and after burning my legs twice just working in the garage I decided to spend the $135 bucks for the pair of patriot 36" heat shields from summit, heat wrap and stainless 4.25 clamps to fab up insulated mounting brackets.

theses are cool to the touch even after driving for hours...

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-01-2014 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM
garygnu
Burning Brakes

I believe I have herd you will lose a little power .they look cool but .Skull should chime in.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:29 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Side pipes are not tuned length exhaust, did you consider shimming your tranny tail shaft up to gain collector clearance?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:48 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Negatives for side pipes:

Expensive; hot when entering/exiting the car; difficult to keep clean and polished; very noisy; low road clearance; did I mention expensive??

Positives for side pipes:

Very noisy....
Old 09-02-2014, 09:00 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 828 Likes on 660 Posts

Why does everyone keep mentioning hot burns? This is easily cured with heat shields.... one can go cheap all the way up to laser cut high$$ shields...either way its a non issue.
As far as noise any level you want is available from a wide variety of muffler inserts from mild to wild... as far as "constant polishing" ...again many finishes available.... painted , ceramic, stainless, chrome... most c3 owners keep the car fairly clean and this is also a non issue.

It seems to me like just about every one of the cons except the "loss of power" from untuned headers are just excuses those who don't have them or don't have them setup right for their preferences are making to justify not having them...

As far as the loss of power, the effects depend greatly on the engine they are bolted to and what your coming from . Many claim they have had increases in power from them. It any case the losses are usually small and they perform better than the factory manifolds. Hooker does state that the primaries are all equal length. (Although it doesn't look it)

I guess its like the 15" wheel vs the 18"..... 18" is superior for handling but then again so is a c4.... like a c3's styling vs c4 sides pipes do a great deal for the attitude and personality of the car. If you like what it does for the image then go for it... Its YOUR car! No need to get approval from others on your preferences.

Last edited by augiedoggy; 09-02-2014 at 09:30 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To pro's and cons of sidepipes

Old 09-02-2014, 09:46 AM
Captain bob
Racer

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Why does everyone keep mentioning hot burns? This is easily cured with heat shields.... one can go cheap all the way up to laser cut high$$ shields...either way its a non issue.
As far as noise any level you want is available from a wide variety of muffler inserts from mild to wild... as far as "constant polishing" ...again many finishes available.... painted , ceramic, stainless, chrome... most c3 owners keep the car fairly clean and this is also a non issue.

It seems to me like just about every one of the cons except the "loss of power" from untuned headers are just excuses those who don't have them or don't have them setup right for their preferences are making to justify not having them...

As far as the loss of power, the effects depend greatly on the engine they are bolted to and what your coming from . Many claim they have had increases in power from them. It any case the losses are usually small and they perform better than the factory manifolds. Hooker does state that the primaries are all equal length. (Although it doesn't look it)

I guess its like the 15" wheel vs the 18"..... 18" is superior for handling but then again so is a c4.... like a c3's styling vs c4 sides pipes do a great deal for the attitude and personality of the car. If you like what it does for the image then go for it... Its YOUR car! No need to get approval from others on your preferences.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:49 AM
Captain bob
Racer

Originally Posted by Captain bob
Today i will take out the IR temperature gauge and actually check temp of outside service of rear 2' of side pipe and BTW obx are 100% ss ,no polishing chrome.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:16 AM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Originally Posted by augiedoggy

first mod I made to my C3. No regrets. You don't have to polish chrome, just wipe it down.
I have the Dean's steel shields and they never get hot enough to burn a leg.
A 454 is not going to suffer a loss from the 1 7/8" primaries over stock exhaust. Lots of torque with that displacement.
I do recommend getting them coated from Jet Hot. It will keep under hood temps down and keep them from rusting away, especially that area behind the front tires where it takes the most abuse.
I run the STS baffles. Does well for a 350.

Quick Reply: pro's and cons of sidepipes