C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building up a c2-c3 chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 11:38 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z069L88
Very nice set up. What size wheels and tires are the 72 Corvette? Looks like they fit nicely inside the wheel wells. Think about getting RideTech's complete front and rear kit for my 69 Vette.
those Rims are 18 x 9.5 wheels with 5.5 backspacing and those are
275-35-18 Falken tires
Old 10-10-2014, 10:55 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Thanks for all the the great response to the build, and we just went to the Mid America Corvette event in Effingham IL for the Corvette Fun Fest!!! it was great

we did a few shock installs on our newest line....a performance Mono tube shocks for c5-c6 Corvettes...it was well received and the drivers couldn't believe the dramatic difference in ride quality it made in there cars, without sacrificing performance

everyone was digging the chassis upgrade system!!

Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Is Josh Leisinger running this system?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:33 PM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Is Josh Leisinger running this system?
Josh has a full custom tube chassis on his car...along with the body and doors being full carbon fiber and Lexan windows....he uses our Triple adjust coil-overs shocks
Old 10-10-2014, 10:17 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by RideTech Rodney
Josh has a full custom tube chassis on his car...along with the body and doors being full carbon fiber and Lexan windows....he uses our Triple adjust coil-overs shocks
Holy frijole!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 02:12 PM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

getting the chassis ready for SEMA!!!

these just came in
Old 10-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Amorget
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume those are 1st gen F-body fitment?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Amorget
I assume those are 1st gen F-body fitment?
Yes
they fit
F-body first gen 67-69 (camaro)
A body 68-72 (chevelle)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:28 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

here's a little Install video!! we did for the front of the C3 Corvette

Old 10-22-2014, 10:02 AM
0RideTech Rodney
Former Vendor

I was recently asked some really GREAT questions and our engineer Britt helped with the answers.....hope this helps with some of your own questions

1. I'm really hoping I can lower my car down at least 2-3" I like the wheel well lip to go over the tire.
–You can lower it that much, but be aware you may bottom out the coil over, rub the bottom of the car on typical road irregularities, or experience handling that is not optimum. We designed a specific ride height for optimum performance. In reality, if you are not actively autocrossing or tracking the car, you’ll be fine so long as you go slow over speed bumps

I'm putting an LS3 in my car. Some of the post indicate I may have issues with the oil pan hitting the steering parts. Do you know if that will be a problem I will need to address?
–You should have no issues with oil pan clearance. Unlike our First Gen Camaro TruTurn, which is quite tight and requires the use of a specific oil pan, the Corvette has MUCH more room, and you should be able to run the pan of your choice

3. I planned to use C6 Z06 calipers. It looks like your spindles are from a Camaro. I wasn't aware of that, not a problem, but do you know what I will need to order to use the Z06 brakes and can you tell me what Baer Brake kit you used on your SEMA display frame?
–I believe the Baer kit is the 14” Front Extreme+ Brake System for the 64-72 GM A-Body with the Ridetech spindle (part # 4301083).
-All you need to use the C6 calipers is an adapter kit from any of the reputable brake companies. Here’s an example: http://www.kore3.com/proddetail.php?prod=10103-03

I've ordered several aftermarket suspension kits with new trailing arms. They always come with the spindles installed. I see you have photos showing someone installing your spindles. Do you have step by step photos and instructions for assembly and did you use the original parts from your old trailing arms or did you by new parts?
–With this chassis being offered for almost 20 years and having such a devout following we thought most people would prefer to rebuild their rear hubs while upgrading the trailing arms. Also, if you want to switch to disk brakes (if it’s an early car) you have to take the entire hub apart to do so anyway.
-You should replace the bearings and measure the end play after they have been apart to make sure they will live a long, happy life.
-There are many places online that can walk you through this procedure. Duntov Motor Company is a pretty reliable source for this (as is Mid America Motorworks for the parts): http://www.duntovmotors.com/tech-rear-spindle.php
Old 10-22-2014, 02:17 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 778 Likes on 557 Posts

Originally Posted by RideTech Rodney
I'd like to see and read a lot more about that. Is there a thread anywhere with the construction details, or can any of his acquaintances persuade him to start a thread?
Old 03-20-2019, 03:38 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default OEM Brake Adpaters

We recently released a kit the allows the OEM front rotors and calipers to be retained when switching to our front suspension kit. We had a lot of request for this over the last few years, so we listened. The kit comes with and adapter bracket to adapt the OEM caliper to our spindle. Plus, it includes a hub to retain the OEM rotor. It is a bolt in kit to help make life easier while being easy on the wallet.

I attached a link to the kit on our website.
https://www.ridetech.com/products/br...ette-tru-turn/

Rodney
The following users liked this post:
jimco84x (03-22-2019)
Old 03-22-2019, 02:34 AM
jakvette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Rodney,

Thank your for your response. I am however intending to use all of the transmission parts and suspension components from the C5 corvette and build them into a chassis which will accept my C1 1958 body. I am aware of the excellent products produced by RideTech.

Regards,

John
Old 03-22-2019, 09:13 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney@ridetech
We recently released a kit the allows the OEM front rotors and calipers to be retained when switching to our front suspension kit. We had a lot of request for this over the last few years, so we listened. The kit comes with and adapter bracket to adapt the OEM caliper to our spindle. Plus, it includes a hub to retain the OEM rotor. It is a bolt in kit to help make life easier while being easy on the wallet.

I attached a link to the kit on our website.
https://www.ridetech.com/products/br...ette-tru-turn/

Rodney
Now this sounds great.

Was also looking at the rear setup but not sure it would clear the spindles for my Tom's setup with 1350 u-joints.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:01 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 857 Likes on 628 Posts

The trailing arms barrel did not work for my 1480’s so had to modify them. They should work fine with 1350’s I do believe. If I remember right, the Ridetech Corvette had 1350 Toms stuff before the 9 inch conversion. This system is very nice and goes together great. Trailing arms are works of art and super strong. Just make sure they fit with your spindles. Was a ton of work to modify mine to work but happy now!

Last edited by 69ttop502; 03-22-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Building up a c2-c3 chassis